Argyle Theatre Collection
Title: Argyle Theatre Collection
Scope: This collection contains a large number of posters as well as business records including records of artist bookings, accounts, scrapbooks, contracts and letters.
Extent: 330 posters, 5 books of artistes bookings and payments, 2 books of wage payments, 5 books listing programmes, 4 financial ledgers, 1 book listing programming to assist local charities, 1 book of letter headed paper with carbon copies, 8 large scrapbooks of newspaper cuttings
Name of creator: National Fairground Archive
Administrative / biographical history: The Argyle Music Hall in Birkenhead was opened in 1868 and staged many variety acts of the day.
The name was changed to The Prince Of Wales Theatre from 1876 to 1890, and was used mainly to stage plays. In 1890, the focus returned to music hall and variety and the theatre was renamed the Argyle Theatre.
Manager Denis J. Clarke ran the Argyle Theatre for 45 years from 1890 to 1935 developing the theatre to make it became one of the most well known theatres in the country playing host to many variety acts of the day.
As well as music hall and variety, the Argyle Theatre often had early film and also was the first theatre to have radio broadcasts.
During the Second World War, the theatre was bombed, taking a direct hit. It was never rebuilt.
Source: Curated Collection
System of arrangement: Catalogued according to type
Subjects: Variety and Music Hall, Performers, Fixed Entertainment Venues, Business
Conditions of access: Items are available to view by appointment in the NFA reading room
Copyright: Copies may be supplied or produced at the discretion of National Fairground Archive, subject to copyright law and condition of the material
Finding aids: Partially available on NFA digital. Online finding aid available here.