School of Health and Related Research,
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
Gain an in-depth understanding of the processes and techniques involved in clinical research and develop the practical skills required to plan and undertake clinical or health services research. The course takes one year full-time or two to five years part-time.
There are two routes available:
- Standard route
- NIHR route for Academic Clinical Fellows in Medicine and Dentistry.
Applicants may also apply using the CPD application process and start by registering for one or two modules and later transfer to a full masters programme.
Core modules are determined by the course route followed and may include:
- Randomised Controlled Trials
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Introduction to Statistics for Clinical Research
- Clinical Research Practice or Practical Aspects of Clinical Research
- Dissertation or Research placement and portfolio
- Systematic Review and Critical Appraisal
- Public Health Informatics
- Sociology of Health and Illness
- Qualitative Research Design and Analysis
- Health Needs Assessment, Planning and Evaluation
Materials will be delivered in a variety of formats designed to enhance the learning experience. These include formal lectures, tutorials, small group discussions, online screencasts, videos and podcasts, alongside guided reading and case studies.
- 1 year full-time
- 2-5 years part-time
A 2:1 honours degree in a clinical subject or equivalent professional qualification and experience.
Applications for the NIHR route are only accepted from doctors and dental practitioners enrolled as Academic Clinical Fellows in the local NHS Deanery.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5454
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.