Professor Gillian Hardy BA, MSc, PhD
Clinical Psychology Unit
Department of Psychology
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 6571
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 6610
Room: WB C5
BA (Sheffield), BA (Sheffield), MSc (Leeds), MSc (Sheffield), PhD (Leeds)
As a clinical and occupational psychologist, my primary scientific interest is the processes and mechanisms of individual change, and the factors that influence these processes, particularly in relation to psychological health and ill health.
My research strengths include a broad knowledge of research methods, the application and delivery of high quality and innovative research, knowledge and expertise within two distinct areas of psychology, the application of theoretical knowledge and empirical methods to applied problems of social significance, and the publication of high quality articles.
Characteristics influencing therapy processes and outcomes
In my involvement in projects examining the effectiveness of psychological treatments for depression, my primary interest is the study of how client, problem and relationship characteristics influence therapy processes and outcomes. I also have made contributions to the validity and usefulness of research measures and models.
HTA Lovell,K., Bee, P., Bower, P., Obsessive Compulsive Treatment Efficacy Trial (OCTET). (Awarded 2011). £1,800,00.
NIHR Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Research and Care Parry, G., Barkham, M., Hardy, G.E., Ricketts, T., Kendall, T., Barber, R., Houghton, S., Kaltenthaler, M., Brazier, J., Brennan, A., Saxon, D., Coleman, J., Chambers, E., Leach, C., Lucock, M., Dent-Brown, K., Kellett, S., & Hirst C. Improving Quality and Effectiveness of Self-management, Therapies & Services of longer-term depression (IQuests). (Awarded 2009). £304,926+ £337,229 matched funding.
South West SHA: Byng, R., Wyer-Brown, N, Newbold, L., Taylor, R., Anderson, R., Forster, S., Stirzaker, A., Evetts, P., Howells, L., Reynolds, S., Leese, M., Hardy, G.E., Glover, G. South West IAPT evaluation project. (Awarded 2009) £300,000.
Ministry of Defence Barkham, M., Parry, G., Hardy, G.E., Rick, J., Saxon, D., Dent-Brown, K., Gray, M., Connell, J., Richards, D., Turpin, G., Gilbody, S., Mason, S., & Mosse K. An evaluation service of Community Veterans mental health pilots (ComVets). (Awarded 2009) £120,000.
SDO Parry, G., Barkham, M., Brazier, J., Kendrick, A., Bower, P., Lovell, K., Rick, J., Hardy, G.E., Walters, S., Dent-Brown, K. A proposal to evaluate a new model improving access to psychological therapies. (Awarded 2008) £449,350 .
SDO West, M., Dawson, J., Onyett, S., Almo-Metaclfe, B., Middleton, H., Hardy, G.E., Richter, A. Effectiveness of multi-professional team working in mental health care (Awarded 2008) £485,000.
Sheffield Consortium Parry, G., Dent-Brown, K., Hardy, G.E., Ricketts, T., Saxon, D. SPeDI Trial. (Awarded 2006) £120,607.
Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust Hardy G.E., & Markiewicz. L. The impact of team climate on sickness absence levels. (Awarded 2006) £7,000 .
National Co-ordinating Centre for Research Methodology M. Barkham, S. Gilbody, D. Richards, J. Ganville, C. Cooper, G. E. Hardy, West, M.: A literature review of staff morale on in-patient units (Awarded 2003) £59,592.
National Co-ordinating Centre for Research Methodology Barkham, M., Hardy, G.E., Gilbody, S., Elliott; C., Gask, L., Bower,P., and Richards, D.A. A review and critical analysis of the nature and quality of the therapist/patient interactions in treatments of patients with mental health problems. (Awarded 2002) £68,580 .
Medical Research Council Platt, S., Pavis, S., Loretto, W., and Hardy, G.E. The health impact of major restructuring of service provision within the NHS: a prospective, comparative, longitudinal study. (Awarded 2001) £398,893 .
NHS R&D Working together West, M.A., Borrill, C.A., Jones, R., Schofield, J., Bamford, M., Hardy, G.E., West, E., Patterson, M. Employee involvement and organizational performance in the NHS (Awarded 2000) £644,736 .
NHS Executive R&D Barkham, M., Richards, D., Williams, C., Macaskill, N., Gournay, K., Haywood P., and Hardy, G.E. A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy of patients receiving a brief supervised self-help training package by practice nurses in primary care settings. (Awarded 2000) £149,930 .
Teaching and administrative duties
I teach on the DClin Psy programme. I am Director of the Clinical Psychology Unit, Course Director for DClin Psy and a Thessaloniki moderator. I also sit on the Psychology Management Group and the University Disciplinary Committee.
Activities and Distinctions
- Member (and Chair) of the British Psychological Society Committee on Training in Clinical Psychology (2000 to 2005)
- Member of British Psychological Society working party regarding statement of equivalence
- Member of the British Psychological Society Board of Examiners in Clinical Psychology (2001 to 2003)
- Member of the British Psychological Society Membership and Professional Training Board (2004-2005)
- Member of the British Psychological Society Division of Clinical Psychology Training Strategy Group (2003-2005)
- Member of the British Psychological Society Journal Committee (2004 to 2012)
- Joint Editor, British Journal of Clinical Psychology (2004 to 2012)
- Associate Editor, British Journal of Medical Psychology (2000 to 2005)
- Editorial Board of Psychotherapy (2010)
- Member of the Research Committee, British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Academic Refereeing for: British Journal of Clinical Psychology; British Journal of Medical Psychology; British Journal of Social Psychology; Human Relations; Journal of Mental Health; Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology; Journal of Occupational Health; Psychological Assessment; Psychology and Health; Psychotherapy Research, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Journal of Counselling psychology
- Reviewer for Grants: ESRC, MRC, Nuffield etc.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine (2007)
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (2008)
Current Postgraduate Students/Research Assistants
- Victoria Lomax (DClin Psy): The role of affect in psychotherapeutic change in intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy
- Sundeep Sandhu (DClin Psy): An exploratory study of exits during cognitive analytic therapy (CAT) for depression (joint supervisor with Dr Stephen Kellett)
- Agoro Toli (DClin Psy): Do therapists naturally use implementation intentions? Is this associated with beneficial outcomes? A study with mixed methodology (joint supervisor with Dr Thomas Webb)
- Kim Campbell (DClin Psy)
- Caroline Dunsmuir-White (DClin Psy)
- Dawn Roe (DClin Psy)
- Kathryn Doran
- Carole Hirst (PhD)
Gillian Hardy is based in the Clinical Psychology Unit
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Mukuria C, Brazier J, Barkham M, Connell J, Hardy G, Hutten R, Saxon D, Dent-Brown K & Parry G (2013) Cost-effectiveness of an improving access to psychological therapies service.. Br J Psychiatry, 202(3), 220-227.
- Houghton S, Saxon D, Bradburn M, Ricketts T & Hardy G (2010) The effectiveness of routinely delivered cognitive behavioural therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder: a benchmarking study.. Br J Clin Psychol, 49(Pt 4), 473-489.
- Goodridge D & Hardy GE (2009) Patterns of change in psychotherapy: an investigation of sudden gains in cognitive therapy using the assimilation model.. Psychother Res, 19(1), 114-123.
- Aspland H, Llewelyn S, Hardy GE, Barkham M & Stiles W (2008) Alliance ruptures and rupture resolution in cognitive-behavior therapy: a preliminary task analysis.. Psychother Res, 18(6), 699-710.
- Saatsi S, Hardy GE & Cahill J (2007) Predictors of outcome and completion status in cognitive therapy for depression. Psychotherapy Research, 17(2), 189-200.
- Detert NB, Llewelyn S, Hardy GE, Barkham M & Stiles WB (2006) Assimilation in good- and poor-outcome cases of very brief psychotherapy for mild depression: An initial comparison. PSYCHOTHER RES, 16(4), 393-407.
- Hardy GE, Cahill J, Stiles WB, Ispan C, Macaskill N & Barkham M (2005) Sudden gains in cognitive therapy for depression: a replication and extension.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 73(1), 59-67.
- Stiles WB, Glick MJ, Osatuke K, Hardy GE, Shapiro DA, Agnew-Davies R, Rees A & Barkham M (2004) Patterns of alliance development and the rupture-repair hypothesis: Are productive relationships U-shaped or V-shaped?. J COUNS PSYCHOL, 51(1), 81-92.
- Hardy GE, Woods D & Wall TD (2003) The impact of psychological distress on absence from work.. J Appl Psychol, 88(2), 306-314.