Discover Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences
Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences covers a wide range of exciting and inspirational subjects that can help us make sense of our past, present and future; examine our histories, culture and society; and explore the nature of how the world around us works.
Participants will get a feel for what studying these subjects at the University is really like, gain an insight into future career and study options, and learn about university life from our current undergraduates.
If you are a creative thinker, interested in what makes us tick and fascinated by people and society, then Discover Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences is definitely for you.
Subjects and departments included in Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Applied and Quantitative Social Science
- East Asian Studies
- Journalism Studies
- Philosophy and Religion
- Sociological Studies
- Urban Studies & Planning
- Year 12
- Join us for a welcome event where we’ll tell you all about the pathway
- Explore Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences subjects and the problems and issues they study through workshop events
- Get information on all the degree courses on offer to see which suits you best
- Experience a three day residential summer school giving you a taste of life as a Sheffield student
- Participate in revision and academic study skills workshops to help with the transition to university
- Visit major cultural destinations such as museums, art galleries and theatres
- Year 13
- Get expert guidance on applying to university and student finance at our UCAS workshop
- Discover 'A day in the life of a student' in your preferred subjects
- Continue developing revision and academic study skills
- Visit major cultural destinations with us such as museums, art galleries and theatres
- Join us for a celebration event to recognise your success
Students who successfully complete the pathway will be eligible for a conditional offer for degrees at The University of Sheffield, subject to meeting prerequisits, with the exception of degrees in Medicine, Dentistry and Health.
To qualify for an adjusted offer for Medicine you must have completed the Discover Medicine pathway and to qualify for an adjusted offer in Dental Surgery you must have completed Discover Dental Professions.
If you wanted to take a 1 x year gap break before applying to The University of Sheffield, or need to resit A Levels to achieve a higher grade, the adjusted offer would be made available in the following year only.
This pathway is for students who meet specific academic and widening participation criteria from state schools within South Yorkshire and the surrounding region.
A Level (or equivalent) requirements:
- No specific subject requirements but should be studying a minimum of 3 A Levels or relevant equivalent and at least 2 should be on the University’s acceptable subject list.
- Please note: Psychology is not included on this pathway as it is included in Discover STEM.
- Min. 5 A*-B (or 9-6), plus a minimum of C (4) in English and Maths if not already included
Widening participation criteria
- Attend a State School
Additional widening participation criteria
- Are from a low progression to HE area and the lowest socio-economic groups
- Are a Looked After Child/Young Adult Carer/Estranged student
- Are a student with a declared disability
- Have individual circumstances that mean they will need to overcome other barriers to learning/progression. (We will assess this element on an individual basis, based on the information provided by the school)
- Are in the first generation of their family to enter Higher Education (HE) (other than siblings, or parents who attended HE as a mature student)
We are currently working remotely so our usual landline phone lines are not in use. To arrange a call back please email us as listed above.
Follow us on Instagram for an insight into our Post-16 Discover Programmes, our campus, and what it is like to be a Sheffield student.
Connect with us
Be the first to know about activities at the university as well as support that we can provide to you and your students.