Professor Gwilym Pryce
Co-Director of the ESRC CDT Data Analytics and Society
0114 222 7121
Gwilym is Co-Director of the ESRC CDT Data Analytics and Society and Professor of Urban Economics and Social Statistics with the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at The University of Sheffield. He is also Co-Director of the ESRC AQMeN Research Centre and Chair of the White Rose DTC Advanced Quantitative Methods Development Group.
He was born in 1970 in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a steel worker and former miner. At age 7, he moved with his family to Goole, in North Humberside and completed his secondary education at Goole Grammar School. In 1988 he moved to Leeds to study Economics and Public Policy at Leeds Business School (LMU), from which he graduated with a First in 1991. After a year studying theology at Covenant College in the Midlands, he completed a MSc in Economics at the University of Warwick.
After a short stint at Aberdeen University researching capital charges in the NHS under the supervision of Professor David Heald, he was awarded an ESRC Research Fellowship in the Centre for Housing Research and Urban Studies, University of Glasgow in 1995. He progressed to Lecturer in 1996, Senior Lecturer in 2003 and to Professor of Urban Economics and Social Statistics in 2006.
His core research interests are largely in the broad field of urban economics, and most of his research publications have been on housing and mortgage markets.
- Dean N & Pryce GB (2017) Is the housing market blind to religion? A perceived substitutability approach to homophily and social integration. Urban Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Kavanagh L, Lee D & Pryce GB (2016) Is poverty decentralising? Quantifying uncertainty in the decentralisation of urban poverty. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 106, 1286-1298. View this article in WRRO
- Elhorst P, Abreu M, Amaral P, Bhattacharjee A, Corrado L, Fingleton B, Fuerst F, Garretsen H, Igliori D, Le Gallo J, McCann P, Monastiriotis V, Pryce G & Yu J (2016) Raising the bar (1). Spatial Economic Analysis, 11(1), 1-6.
- Dong G, Ma J, Harris R & Pryce G (2016) Spatial Random Slope Multilevel Modeling Using Multivariate Conditional Autoregressive Models: A Case Study of Subjective Travel Satisfaction in Beijing. Annals of the American Association of Geographers, 106(1), 19-35. View this article in WRRO
- Lee D, Minton J & Pryce G (2015) Bayesian inference for the dissimilarity index in the presence of spatial autocorrelation. Spatial Statistics, 11, 81-95. View this article in WRRO
- Gibb K, Osland L & Pryce G (2014) Describing Inequalities in Access to Employment and the Associated Geography of Wellbeing. Urban Studies, 51(3), 596-613. View this article in WRRO
- Pryce G (2013) Housing Submarkets and the Lattice of Substitution. Urban Studies, 50(13), 2682-2699.
- Stuart-Smith J, Pryce G, Timmins C & Gunter B (2013) Television can also be a factor in language change: Evidence from an urban dialect. Language, 89(3), 501-536.
- Chen Y, Fingleton B, Pryce G, Chen A & Djordjević S (2013) Implications of rising flood-risk for employment location: A GMM spatial model with agglomeration and endogenous house price effects. Journal of Property Research, 30(4), 298-323.
- Gibb K & Pryce G (2012) Future directions in housing economics: introduction to a special issue of the Journal of Property Research. Journal of Property Research, 29(4), 271-279.
- Osland L & Pryce G (2012) Housing Prices and Multiple Employment Nodes: Is the Relationship Nonmonotonic?. Housing Studies, 27(8), 1182-1208.
- Pryce GB (2012) Flood Risk and House Price Inertia: A Source of Comfort or Concern?. Water Leader, 2012(4), 48-49.
- Levin E & Pryce G (2011) A Disequilibrium Model of the Market for Houses: Implicit Selling Time as a Signal of Optimal Holding Periods and Buyer Valuation. Urban Studies, 48(11), 2249-2263.
- Levin EJ, Montagnoli A & Pryce G (2011) Mark-to-market and house asset valuation: An initial attempt at extending the Poterba model using the term structure of real forward interest rates. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis, 4(2), 172-179.
- Pryce G (2011) Bidding Conventions and the Degree of Overpricing in the Market for Houses. Urban Studies, 48(4), 765-791.
- Pryce G, Chen Y & Galster G (2011) The impact of floods on house prices: an imperfect information approach with myopia and amnesia. Housing Studies, 26(2), 259-279.
- Mason P & Pryce G (2011) Controlling for Transactions Bias in Regional House Price Indices. Housing Studies, 26(5), 639-660.
- Levin EJ & Pryce G (2011) The dynamics of spatial inequality in UK housing wealth. Housing Policy Debate, 21(1), 99-132.
- Pryce G & Chen Y (2011) Flood risk and the consequences for housing of a changing climate: an international perspective. Risk Management, 13(4), 228-246.
- Levin EJ & Pryce GBJ (2009) What Determines the Price Elasticity of House Supply? Real Interest Rate Effects and Cyclical Asymmetries. Housing Studies, 24(6), 713-736.
- Pate J, Beaumont P & Pryce G (2009) Organisations and the issue of multiple identities: who loves you baby?. VINE, 39(4), 319-338.
- Pryce G & Sprigings N (2009) Outlook for UK housing and the implications for policy: Are we reaping what we have sown?. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis, 2(2), 145-166.
- PRYCE GWILYM & OATES SARAH (2008) Rhetoric in the Language of Real Estate Marketing. Housing Studies, 23(2), 319-348.
- Pryce G & Gibb K (2006) Submarket Dynamics of Time to Sale. Real Estate Economics, 34(3), 377-415.
- Hendershott PH & Pryce G (2006) The sensitivity of homeowner leverage to the deductibility of home mortgage interest. Journal of Urban Economics, 60(1), 50-68.
- Pryce G (2003) Worst of the good and best of the bad:Adverse selection consequences of risk pricing. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 21(6), 450-472.
- Pryce G & Keoghan M (2002) Unemployment insurance for mortgage borrowers: is it viable and does it cover those most in need?. International Journal of Housing Policy, 2(1), 87-114.
- Pryce G (2002) Theory and Estimation of the Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance Decision. Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 49(2), 216-234.
- Pryce G & Keoghan M (2001) Determinants of Mortgage Protection Insurance Take-up. Housing Studies, 16(2), 179-198.
- Pryce G (1999) Construction Elasticities and Land Availability: A Two-stage Least-squares Model of Housing Supply Using the Variable Elasticity Approach. Urban Studies, 36(13), 2283-2304.
- Pryce G (1999) Work incentives and rent: Evidence from Glasgow housing associations. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 14(4), 343-362.
- Maclennan D & Pryce G (1996) Global Economic Change, Labour Market Adjustment and the Challenges for European Housing Policies. Urban Studies, 33(10), 1849-1865.
- Chen Y & Pryce G (2013) Migrants’ job search in urban China: Social networks and the open labour market In Wu F, Zhang F & Webster C (Ed.), Rural Migrants in Urban China: Enclaves and Transient Urbanism (pp. 69-83). London: Routledge.
- Pryce G (2012) Housing wealth distribution in the United Kingdom, International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home (pp. 691-696).
Conference proceedings papers
- PRYCE GWILYM (2003) Greening by the Market? Distortions Caused by Fiscal Incentives to Build on Brownfield Land. Housing Studies, Vol. 18(4) (pp 563-585)
- Kavanagh L, Lee D & Pryce GB (2014) Poverty in suburbia: Has Glasgow gone the way of American cities?
- Hallett SH, Shao L, Jones K, Pryce G, Blenkinsop S & Fowler H (2013) Community Resilience to Extreme Weather
- Chen Y & Pryce G (2012) Environmental risks: flooding. In International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home. Oxford: Elsevier.