Dr Haiping Lu
Department of Computer Science
Senior Lecturer in Machine Learning
AI Strategy Lead
Member of the Machine Learning research group
+44 114 222 1853
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Lu joined the University of Sheffield as a Lecturer in Machine Learning in November 2016. He has a PhD degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada, in 2008, and M.Eng. and B.Eng. degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 2004 and 2001, respectively.
Before joining Sheffield, he was an Assistant Professor with the Department of Computer Science, Hong Kong Baptist University, from 2013 to 2016, a Scientist with Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore, from 2009 to 2013, and a post-doctoral fellow with the University of Toronto from 2008 to 2009.
- Research interests
Dr Lu’s current research focuses on machine learning, brain imaging, and tensor analysis. His research also covers related areas such as big data, biomedical engineering, computer vision, and signal/image processing.
His core expertise is tensor analysis and learning. He proposed several key tensor-based machine learning algorithms and lead-authored the book "Multilinear Subspace Learning: Dimensionality Reduction of Multidimensional Data" (CRC Press, 2013).
He contributed to applications including face/gait recognition for human identification and surveillance, video analytics for epileptic seizure detection, EEG classification for brain-computer interfaces, and fMRI data analysis and classification for brain state decoding.
- Multilinear Subspace Learning. Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- Validation of Artificial Intelligence Cardiac MRI Measurements: Relationship to Heart Catheterization and Mortality Prediction.. Radiology, 212929.
- Machine learning cardiac-MRI features predict mortality in newly diagnosed pulmonary arterial hypertension. European Heart Journal - Digital Health. View this article in WRRO
- Training and clinical testing of artificial intelligence derived right atrial cardiovascular magnetic resonance measurements. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 24(1).
- Node-feature convolution for graph convolutional networks. Pattern Recognition.
- Direct ICA on data tensor via random matrix modeling. Signal Processing. View this article in WRRO
- Computed tomography lung parenchymal descriptions in routine radiological reporting have diagnostic and prognostic utility in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension and pulmonary hypertension associated with lung disease. ERJ Open Research, 8(1). View this article in WRRO
- Fully automated CMR derived stroke volume correlates with right heart catheter measurements in patients with suspected pulmonary hypertension. European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging, 22(Supplement_2).
- High interstudy repeatability of automatic deep learnt biventricular CMR measurements. European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging, 22(Supplement_2).
- Pulmonary hypertension in association with lung disease : quantitative CT and artificial intelligence to the rescue? State-of-the-art review. Diagnostics, 11(4).
- Neuropsychiatric disease classification using functional connectomics - results of the connectomics in neuroImaging transfer learning challenge. Medical Image Analysis.
- A machine learning cardiac magnetic resonance approach to extract disease features and automate pulmonary arterial hypertension diagnosis. European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging. View this article in WRRO
- Probabilistic Rank-One Tensor Analysis with Concurrent Regularizations. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. View this article in WRRO
- Joint interaction with context operation for collaborative filtering. Pattern Recognition, 88, 729-738. View this article in WRRO
- Feature Extraction for Incomplete Data Via Low-Rank Tensor Decomposition With Feature Regularization. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 30(6), 1803-1817. View this article in WRRO
- Rank-One Matrix Completion With Automatic Rank Estimation via L1-Norm Regularization. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 29(10), 4744-4757. View this article in WRRO
- Motor Imagery Classification Based on Bilinear Sub-Manifold Learning of Symmetric Positive-Definite Matrices. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(6), 504-516. View this article in WRRO
- Quantifying Limb Movements in Epileptic Seizures Through Color-Based Video Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 60(2), 461-469.
- A survey of multilinear subspace learning for tensor data. Pattern Recognition, 44(7), 1540-1551.
- Regularized Common Spatial Pattern With Aggregation for EEG Classification in Small-Sample Setting. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 57(12), 2936-2946.
- Fuzzy Key Binding Strategies Based on Quantization Index Modulation (QIM) for Biometric Encryption (BE) Applications. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 5(1), 118-132.
- A Biometric Encryption System for the Self-Exclusion Scenario of Face Recognition. IEEE Systems Journal, 3(4), 440-450.
- Uncorrelated Multilinear Principal Component Analysis for Unsupervised Multilinear Subspace Learning. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 20(11), 1820-1836.
- Gaussian kernel optimization for pattern classification. Pattern Recognition, 42(7), 1237-1247.
- Boosting Discriminant Learners for Gait Recognition Using MPCA Features. EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, 2009, 1-11.
- Uncorrelated Multilinear Discriminant Analysis With Regularization and Aggregation for Tensor Object Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 20(1), 103-123.
- MPCA: Multilinear Principal Component Analysis of Tensor Objects. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 19(1), 18-39.
- A Full-Body Layered Deformable Model for Automatic Model-Based Gait Recognition. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2008(1).
- BINARY IMAGE WATERMARKING THROUGH BLURRING AND BIASED BINARIZATION. International Journal of Image and Graphics, 05(01), 67-87.
- Distance-Reciprocal Distortion Measure for Binary Document Images. IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 11(2), 228-231.
- Improving multi-site autism classification based on site-dependence minimisation and second-order functional connectivity. View this article in WRRO
- Mixed-Order Spectral Clustering for Complex Networks. Pattern Recognition.
- PyKale: Knowledge-Aware Machine Learning from Multiple Sources in Python.
- APRILE: Exploring the Molecular Mechanisms of Drug Side Effects with Explainable Graph Neural Networks.
- Improving Whole-Brain Neural Decoding of fMRI with Domain Adaptation, Machine Learning in Medical Imaging (pp. 265-273). Springer International Publishing
- - Overview of Multilinear Subspace Learning, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 100-117).
- - Multilinear Principal Component Analysis, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 136-169).
- - Multilinear ICA, CCA, and PLS, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 194-217).
- - Multilinear Discriminant Analysis, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 170-193).
- - Linear Subspace Learning for Dimensionality Reduction, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 48-77).
- - Introduction, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 30-47).
- - Fundamentals of Multilinear Subspace Learning, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 78-99).
- - Applications of Multilinear Subspace Learning, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 218-233).
- - Algorithmic and Computational Aspects, Multilinear Subspace Learning (pp. 118-135).
- A review on face and gait recognition: System, data, and algorithms, Advanced Signal Processing: Theory and Implementation for Sonar, Radar, and Non-Invasive Medical Diagnostic Systems, Second Edition (pp. 303-330).
- A Taxonomy of Emerging Multilinear Discriminant Analysis Solutions for Biometric Signal Recognition, Biometrics (pp. 21-45). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Conference proceedings papers
- Training and Clinical Validation of Artificial Intelligence Derived Right Atrial Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Measurements. A105. YOU CAN PREDICT ALL YOU WANT, BUT EVERYONE KNOWS...
- Improving Negative Sampling in Graph Neural Networks for Predicting Drug-Drug Interactions. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 9 December 2021 - 12 December 2021.
- A fully automated cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) assessment improves the evaluation of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Imaging
- Confidence-quantifying landmark localisation for cardiac MRI. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2021) (pp 985-988). Virtual conference, 13 April 2021 - 16 April 2021. View this article in WRRO
- Sex bias exists in diagnosing pulmonary arterial hypertension via machine learning. Pulmonary hypertension
- Tensor Rank Estimation and Completion via CP-based Nuclear Norm. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Multilinear Regression for Embedded Feature Selection with Application to fMRI Analysis. Proceedings of the 31st AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp 2562-2568)
- View this article in WRRO Bilinear Probabilistic Canonical Correlation Analysis via Hybrid Concatenations. Proceedings of the 31st AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp 2949-2955)
- View this article in WRRO EcoICA: Skewness-based ICA via Eigenvectors of Cumulant Operator. Proceedings of The 8th Asian Conference on Machine Learning (pp 445-460)
- View this article in WRRO Proper Inner Product with Mean Displacement for Gaussian Noise Invariant ICA. Proceedings of The 8th Asian Conference on Machine Learning (pp 398-413)
- Learning compact binary codes from higher-order tensors via free-form reshaping and binarized multilinear PCA. 2016 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN). Vancouver, BC, Canada, 24 July 2016 - 29 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Probabilistic rank-one matrix analysis with concurrent regularization. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 2016-January (pp 2428-2434)
- Learning Tensor-Based Features for Whole-Brain fMRI Classification (pp 613-620)
- Semi-orthogonal multilinear PCA with relaxed start. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 2015-January (pp 3805-3811)
- Learning canonical correlations of paired tensor sets via tensor-to-vector projection. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp 1516-1522)
- Learning Modewise Independent Components from Tensor Data Using Multilinear Mixing Model (pp 288-303)
- Non-intrusive head movement analysis of videotaped seizures of epileptic origin. 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 28 August 2012 - 1 September 2012.
- Markerless video analysis for movement quantification in pediatric epilepsy monitoring. 2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 30 August 2011 - 3 September 2011.
- Visualization and clustering of crowd video content in MPCA subspace. Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management - CIKM '10, 26 October 2010 - 30 October 2010.
- Regularized common spatial patterns with generic learning for EEG signal classification. 2009 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 3 September 2009 - 6 September 2009.
- Face recognition with biometric encryption for privacy-enhancing self-exclusion. 2009 16th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing, 5 July 2009 - 7 July 2009.
- Uncorrelated multilinear principal component analysis through successive variance maximization. Proceedings of the 25th international conference on Machine learning - ICML '08, 5 July 2008 - 9 July 2008.
- Uncorrelated Multilinear Discriminant Analysis with Regularization for Gait Recognition. 2007 Biometrics Symposium, 11 September 2007 - 13 September 2007.
- Boosting LDA with Regularization on MPCA Features for Gait Recognition. 2007 Biometrics Symposium, 11 September 2007 - 13 September 2007.
- Estimation Model for the Speech-Quality Dimension "Directness / Frequency Content". 2007 IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, 21 October 2007 - 24 October 2007.
- SU8-Based Micro Neural Probe for Enhanced Chronic in-Vivo Recording of Spike Signals from Regenerated Axons. 2006 5th IEEE Conference on Sensors, 22 October 2006 - 25 October 2006.
- Coarse-to-Fine Pedestrian Localization and Silhouette Extraction for the Gait Challenge Data Sets. 2006 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, 9 July 2006 - 9 July 2006.
- Gait Recognition Through MPCA Plus LDA. 2006 Biometrics Symposium: Special Session on Research at the Biometric Consortium Conference, 19 September 2006 - 21 August 2006.
- Multilinear Principal Component Analysis of Tensor Objects for Recognition. 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR'06)
- Secure data hiding in binary document images for authentication. Proceedings - IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 3
- Binary image watermarking through biased binarization. 2003 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MULTIMEDIA AND EXPO, VOL III, PROCEEDINGS (pp 101-104)
- Secure data hiding in binary document images for authentication. Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2003. ISCAS '03., Vol. 3 (pp iii-iii)
- Effective and Efficient Fingerprint Image Postprocessing. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2002 (pp 985-989)
- An objective distortion measure for binary document images based on human visual perception. Proceedings - International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Vol. 16(4) (pp 239-242)
- Multi-agent Feature Selection for Integrative Multi-omics Analysis. Multi-agent Feature Selection for Integrative Multi-omics Analysis. Glasgow, Scotland, 11 July 2022 - 15 July 2022.
- A Layered Deformable Model for Gait Analysis. 7th International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FGR06)
- Watermark embedding in DC components of DCT for binary images. 2002 IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing.
- View this article in WRRO Geodesically Smoothed Tensor Features for Pulmonary Hypertension Prognosis using the Heart and Surrounding Tissues. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention
- A Feature-Importance-Aware and Robust Aggregator for GCN. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- View this article in WRRO Side Information Dependence as a Regularizer for Analyzing Human Brain Conditions across Cognitive Experiments. Proceedings of the 34th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence
- Hierarchical Clustering Split for Low-Bias Evaluation of Drug-Target Interaction Prediction. Hierarchical Clustering Split for Low-Bias Evaluation of Drug-Target Interaction Prediction
- A GNN-based Multi-task Learning Framework for Personalized Video Search. A GNN-based Multi-task Learning Framework for Personalized Video Search, 21 February 2022 - 25 February 2022.
- Developing a machine learning tool to improve diagnostic and treatment response assessment on cardiac MRI data, Wellcome Trust, 10/2019 - 09/2021, £639,783, as Co-PI
- Learning Representations of Higher-Order Structures for Networks via Tensor Embedding, Amazon, 04/2019 - 03/2020, £46,923, as PI
- Learning Sparse Features from 4D fMRI Data for Brain Disease Diagnosis, EPSRC, 01/2018 - 07/2019, £100,730, as PI
- Dimensionality Reduction for Learning Correlations between Big Multidimensional Data, HK RGC ECS 22200014, HK$831,737, as PI.
- Learning Independent Components with Tensor-based Modelling for Big fMRI Data, HK RGC GRF 12200915, HK$695,861, as PI.
- Relaxation Methods in Principal and Discriminative Component Analysis for Tensor Data, HK RGC GRF 12248616, HK$695,861, as PI.
- Professional activities
- Member of the Machine Learning research group
- 2013 IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award
- 2014/15 Early Career Award, the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
- Program Committee Member: IJCAI-16, NIPS-16, AAAI-17, AISTATS-17
- Member: IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Subcommittee for Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award, 2014, 2015.
- Journal Reviewers: IEEE TPAMI, TNN/TNNLS, TSMC-B/TCyb, TFS, TIP, TSP, TBME, TNSRE, TCSVT, TIFS, TPDS, TCC, TIE, J-STSP, SPL; JMLR, CVIU, NN, PR, SP, PRL, IVC.