Dr Owen Fenton
BSc, MSc, PhD
Visiting Professor of Environmental Science
- BSc Earth Science & Geology, University College Cork, Ireland
- MSc, Hydrogeology, University of Birmingham, UK
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland International Land Drainage Research Institute ALTERRA Diploma
- Senior Research Officer with Teagasc since 2004, Agriculture and Food Research Institute in Ireland
Owen Fenton is an acknowledged international expert in the field of agricultural engineering and environmental science (>80 Web of Science Publications) focused on the mitigation and management of impacts of agricultural practices on land, water and climate systems.
Based at the renowned Agriculture and Food Development Authority in Ireland (Teagasc), he is at the forefront in characterising the source, fate, attenuation and transformation of nutrients including time lags along the transfer continuum as well as developing innovative sustainable management and technology solutions for farming enterprises and professional bodies at national level.
He currently supervises or co-supervises 10 PhD students in all of these areas of research. He is currently an EC member of H2020 Marie Curie ITN INSPIRATION dealing specifically with soil and groundwater remediation for achievement of sustainable intensification.
Other research interests include characterisation of nutrient losses from organic fertilizers (biosolids, slurry, dairy soiled water) spread to grasslands and chemical amendment of such fertilizers to minimise nutrient and greenhouse gas releases to the environment. Recently a new field of research includes characterisation of dairy processing residues and soil physical quality.
- Professional activities and memberships
- Adjunct Lecturer at NUI-Galway, Ireland
- EU COST EC member of Connecteur
- H2020 Marie Curie ITN EC member INSPIRATION
- International Association of Hydrogeologists
- Soil Science Society of America
- Editor of Journal of Agricultural Science (Cambridge)
- Editor of Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research
- Member of Water Framework Directive Working Group in Ireland
- Member of International Artificial N sink initiative