Information security incident policy and procedure
Staff and students must immediately report any actual or suspected incident. Prompt reporting of cyber attacks means that the University can respond and minimise any negative impact.
Reporting cyber and information security incidents
Report incidents by phone or chat to the IT Service Desk on +44 114 222 1111. Don't leave a voicemail or email.
When the IT Service Desk is closed (out of hours)
Contact University Security on +44 114 222 4085. This service is available 24/7 365 days a year.
Upon being contacted, IT Services staff will follow our information security incident procedure to ensure that the incident is properly managed and recorded.
Types of incident
An information security incident is any occurrence observed or suspected that involves
- unauthorised access or damage to or originating from any computer system that is owned or managed by the University of Sheffield
- unauthorised access, loss or damage to information that is owned or managed by the University of Sheffield
- violation of information security policies
An information security incident may involve access, loss or damage to information or computer systems that is actual, suspected, threatened, or potential.
Examples of incidents include:
- cyber security attack - malicious attacks against University accounts or systems
- potential security breaches - such as unpatched systems, failure to follow procedure or unusual authentication systems
- compromised systems - such as hacked servers, virus outbreaks
- compromised accounts - such as stolen passwords through phishing emails/calls
- loss of information - such as a lost or stolen laptops
- breach of policy - such as the Information Security policy, IT Code of Practice or Data Protection policy
Misuse of computing facilities (as defined by the IT Code of Practice) that does not constitute an urgent security incident should be reported to the Information Security team (email email@example.com), or to a member of the IT Services Directorate.
Information Security incident management policy (University login required and access granted on request)
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.