Guidance on accessing, installing and using JAWS.
JAWS reads aloud any text displayed on a computer screen.
Information Commons Level 1, PC 1059.
First, open the applications or documents you would like to read, then:
- Either click on the JAWS icon on the desktop, or from the Start menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Select All Programs > JAWS 14.0 > JAWS.
To view the JAWS toolbar, click on the icon at the bottom of the screen, or Insert + J.
You can also:
- Press Insert + Down arrow to turn on the speech synthesiser.
- Use the Esc key to turn off the speech synthesiser.
- Press Insert + F4 to close down JAWS.
- For the help menu, open the JAWS toolbar and press ALT + H. Or, for useful JAWS keystrokes, press Insert + H.
If you would like further information or wish to comment on any aspect of the service, please contact us by:
Telephone: +44 114 222 7204
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.