You can request any item that is not for reference use only in the Library. In order to ensure that material circulates quickly material held at Western Bank library must be collected at the items home site, however we can deliver material held at other sites to the site of your choice for collection and if you are a part time, distance learner or have other inclusive learning needs you can collect your requests from any site but please be aware that you will get the item your need quicker if you choose to collect if from the site where it is shelved.
How to make a request
To place a request, you need to be logged into StarPlus. University members of staff and current students can do this by logging into MUSE and clicking on " StarPlus –Library Catalogue"; STH or external members should click on the 'non-University members' link and then input their Ucard number and password.
- Find the item you want in StarPlus
- Click on 'Get it'. From this screen you can see where the book is located and whether there are any copies not on loan. If there is a copy on the shelves, it is quicker to go and look for it rather than make a request (other customers will be able to borrow any item found on the shelves even if there is already a request on it)
- If the book is on loan or you cannot find it on the shelves click on 'Request'
- Choose your pick up location, remember that Western Bank Library material has to be picked up at Western Bank library by most library users and that you will get the item sooner if you collect it from its home site.
- Click on 'Request'
Items that are listed as 'received', 'on order' or 'in processing can be requested but are not yet available on the shelves'. Please remember that as they are not yet available you may have to wait longer to receive them.
In addition, you will not be able to request material if there is a problem with your UCard (e.g. if your account has been frozen), if you have already requested the item, or if you currently have the item on loan.
What happens next?
If the item you require is on loan for more than two weeks, the current borrower will be sent a recall notice asking for it to be returned by a revised date. Items due back within two weeks will be due for return on the original due date but the current borrower will be unable to renew the item.
If the item is one that you have been unable to find on the shelves but is not on loan, library staff will make a check of the shelves to try and locate it for you.
In a small number of cases, items may not be found and in these cases you will be advised of alternative solutions.
Checking the progress of requests
You can check the progress of your request in the following way;
- Log in to StarPlus
- Click on 'myLibrary Account'
- Click on 'Requests' from the facet box on the left of the screen
When the item has been returned and your request has been processed we will send you an email stating the last day on which the item will be kept for you and also a reminder about the site for collection. We only hold items for a short period so check your email regularly as the item will be reshelved if you don’t collect by the date on your notification email.
Items in heavy demand are frequently requested by more than one customer. In this case, it may be that the item is issued for a shorter period and renewals are not possible.
If the date for collection is missed and another borrower requires the item, you will have to re-request it and rejoin the queue. If you know that you will have problems in picking up the item by the date on the email then please contact the library, either email email@example.com or use our Live Chat service and we will keep it for you for a longer period as long as no one else needs it. To collect requests from your 'pick up location', please go to:
- Western Bank Library - Information Desk Level 5 (can also be collected out of staffed hours on a self-service basis)
- Information Commons - Self-service area on Level 0 (self-service)
- The Diamond - Mindsphere area on the ground floor (self-service)
- Health Sciences Library, Royal Hallamshire Hospital - Information Desk
- Health Sciences Library, Northern General Hospital - Information Desk
If you no longer require an item you have requested, please let us know as soon as possible so that it is available for other people. You can cancel a request by:
- Logging in to StarPlus, choosing 'myLibrary Account', and clicking on the 'Cancel' link to the right of the title(s) you wish to cancel
- Inform the library in person or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you have been informed that the item you requested is ready for collection, you can cancel it by replying to the email with the word 'Cancel'