Howard Smith Photographic Collection
Ref: MS 450
Title: Howard Smith Photographic Collection
Scope: Photographs taken by Howard Smith between 1991 and 1996 of milestones, guide stoops, packhorse bridges, etc., mostly in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
Extent: 1 box
Name of creator: Howard Smith
Administrative / biographical history:
The collection comprises 126 colour photographs taken by Howard Smith between 1991 and 1996 of milestones, guide stoops, packhorse bridges, etc., mostly in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
Before his retirement, Howard Smith taught history and English at Richmond College in Sheffield, and has written many books on the history of roads and transport in the local area.
The collection was donated to the National Centre for English Cultural Tradition at the University of Sheffield in December 1996. It was then transferred to the Special Collections Department in the University Library in 2008.
- Related Colloections: Rotherham Mileposts Collection
- Source: Donated in 1996
- System of arrangement: As received
- Subjects: Milestones – England – South Yorkshire; Milestones – England – Derbyshire; Roads – England – South Yorkshire – History; Roads – England – Derbyshire -- History
- Names: Smith, Howard, 1933-
- Conditions of access: Available to all researchers, by appointment
- Restrictions: None
- Copyright: University of Sheffield
- Finding aids: Listed