Ref: Special Collection
Title: Kennedy Collection
Scope: A collection of books on Japan and the Far East, including China, mainly in the 20th century.
Extent: c. 350 vols.
Name of creator: Malcolm Duncan Kennedy
Administrative / biographical history:
Malcolm Duncan Kennedy, O.B.E., (1895-1984), expert on Japanes affairs, had a varied career as army officer, businessman, civil servant and intelligence officer, during which he spent some two decades in Japan.
Kennedy was born in Edinburgh, though some of his earliest years were spent in Penang, and educated at Glenalmond School. During his army career he attended Sandhurst before serving in the First World War. After being severely wounded he convalesced for eighteen months before taking a course in Japanese at SOAS, having been posted to the Intelligence Section of Eastern Command Headquarters in London. From 1917 to 1920 he was a Military Language Officer in Japan, before returning to London where he worked in the Far Eastern Section of the War Office. The following year he was invalided out of the army and returned to Japan as a businessman. From 1925 until 1934 he took up a post in the Japanese Section of the Government Dode and Cypher School, combining this with free-lance journalism. During World War II he continued to work there on Far Eastern Intelligence duties. At the end of the war he moved to the War Office, being based in the headquarters of the Inter-Service Organisation. From 1945 until his retirement in 1955 he worked for S.I.S. (MI6).
The collection of his books consists of some 350 volumes on Japan and some other countries of the Far East, including China, mainly in the 20th century.
- Related collections: Kennedy Papers; Gell Documents
- Source: Donated by Captain Kennedy to the University of Sheffield Centre for Japanese Studies in 1984; held in the University Library on deposit.
- System of arrangement: Dewey Decimal Classification
- Subjects: Japan - History - 20th century; Japan - Economic conditions - 1918-1945; Japan - History, Military - 1868 -; China - History - 20th century
- Names: Kennedy, Malcolm Duncan, 1895-1984
- Conditions of access: Available to all researchers, by appointment
- Restrictions: None
- Finding aids: Catalogued and listed