Two students working at a computer

How to apply

If you would like to be considered for a place on one of our undergraduate courses, you should apply through UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.


There is lots more information on the application process on the University's webpages for undergraduate students:

How to apply: applying essentials

Don't meet our entry requirements?

International students: The University of Sheffield International College offers an International Foundation Year in Science and Engineering. Find out more

UK students: We've teamed up with the Open University to create a flexible way for you to study physics and prepare for one of our courses. Find out more

Entry requirements

For our three-year BSc courses, we ask for the following qualifications at A level, or equivalent:

  • ABB including Physics and Maths

For our four-year MPhys courses, we ask for the following qualifications at A Level, or equivalent:

  • AAA including Physics and Maths

For Physics with a Foundation Year, we ask for the following qualifications at A Level, or equivalent:

  • BBB including Physics or Maths

We can accept other qualifications including Scottish Highers, Welsh Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate, International and European Baccalaureates, GNVQ and BTEC. A full list is given on the following webpage:

Entry requirements and other qualifications

If you have a question about your qualifications, please email

English language requirements

All students need to have an English language qualification. UK students typically need to have a grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language, or higher. We also accept a range of alternative UK qualifications.

If you are an EU or international student, we accept qualifications from several countries, as well as a range of international qualifications and tests. A full list is given on the University's webpages for undergraduate students:

More on English language requirements

If you do not currently meet our English language requirements, the English Language Teaching Centre offers English language courses for students who are preparing to study at the University of Sheffield.

English Language Teaching Centre

Application timeline

June-October: Shortlist several University Open Days. You can book online to see this department, and tour the campus, accommodation, and city.

Book an Open Day

October-January: Finalise your choices of University and complete and submit your UCAS form. The deadline for most applications is 15 January.

If you are also applying for courses at Oxford University or Cambridge University or for courses in medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine, there is an earlier deadline of 15 October.

November-March: Once we receive your UCAS form, we'll send you an acknowledgement and carefully review your application. If we offer you a place, you will be invited to one of our Departmental Open Days. This may also include an interview.

Early May: UCAS requires you to make firm and insurance choices for any courses that you have applied for. The deadline for any applications you have made through UCAS Extra is later.

Mid-August: If you have made Sheffield your first choice and you get the grades required for the course, your place in this department will be confirmed.

If your examination results do not quite reach the standard we have specified in our offer, it is unlikely that your place will be confirmed. However, you can contact us and we may consider you for any remaining places through the clearing process.