Professor Richard Rowe BSc, MSc, PhD
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TP
Tel: (+44) (0)114 22 26606
BSc (Manchester), MSc, PhD (Reading)
The Development of Antisocial behaviour: Sex differences, callousness, oppositionality, testosterone, behavioural genetics.
Driver Behaviour: Interventions to reduce risky driving, factors contributing to crash liability.
Anticipation in skilled performance: Video simulation measurement, modelling and training implications particularly regarding tennis and driving.
Key Research Funding
Identifying the mechanisms linking socioeconomic status and child antisocial behaviour. Nuffield Foundation. £127,555. PI: Rowe. 2016-2018.
Reducing newly-qualified driver crash risk: Identifying behavioural targets. Medical Research Council. £186,388. PI: Rowe. 2016-2017.
The role of “soft skills” in life outcomes of children and young people. Wellcome Trust Society & Ethics Small Grant. £3690. PI: Gurleen Popli, University of Sheffield. 2016.
Does an interactive child-centred workshop reduce treatment-related distress and improve QOL in children with leukaemia? National Institute of Health Research. £248,907. PI: Guy Makin (Manchester). 2011-2015.
Modelling developmental trajectories of novice driver crash liability. Economic and Social Research Council. £180, 536. PI: Damian Poulter (Greenwich). 2013-2014.
Identifying youth with affective dysregulation at risk for severe psychopthology. National Institute of Mental Health £99,500. PI: Jeff Burke (Pittsburgh). 2012-2014.
Teaching and administrative duties
I am Director of Research for the Psychology department and I am also the Sheffield Psychology lead for ESRC White Rose Doctoral Training Centre. I lecture in quantitative methods for the Doctoral Training Centre as well as on our Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, MSc in Psychological Research Methods and MSc in Occupational Psychology. At undergraduate level, I organise and teach on the Research Methods module at Level 2.
Activities and Distinctions
- Associate Editor, BMC Psychology.
- Autistica research charity, Scientific Review Panel Member.
- Guest Editor, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry Special Issue "Mood Dysregulation in child and adolescent psychopathology" (November, 2012, co-editors: Argyris Stringaris and Barbara Maughan).
- Co-author Research Methods Textbook "Statistics for the Health Sciences: A Non-Mathematical Introduction" (2012, co-authors: Christine Dancey and John Reidy).
- External examiner: University of Cardiff (Psychology & Medicine Intercalated Degree), Kings College London (MSc Psychology and Neuroscience of Mental Health), York St John University (Psychology Degree)
- 2002 American Psychological Association New Researcher award for Applied Experimental Psychology.
Current Postgraduate Students
- Dan Denis (Neuroimaging skilled anticipation), ESRC AQM studentship
- Samaneh Sadeghi (Antisocial behaviour and depressed mood), self-funding
- Marianne Day (Quality of Life), staff candidate
- James Brookes (Heterogeneity in antisocial behaviour), ESRC AQM studentship
- John Dotse (Driver behaviour), Ghana Education Trust studentship
- Laura Castillo (Interventions for Antisocial Behaviour), Departmental teaching fellow, starting 2016
Previous Postgraduate Students
- Dr Thomas McAdams, Henry Dale Research Fellow, Kings College London
- Dr Patrycja Piotrowska, Research Fellow, University of Sydney
- Dr Simone Croft, Research Fellow, University of Sheffield
A list of key publications can be found below. A full list of publications.
- Rowe R, Andrews E, Harris P, Armitage C, McKenna FP & Norman P (2016) Identifying beliefs underlying pre-drivers' intentions to take risks: An application of the Theory of Planned Behaviour. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 89, 49-56. View this article in WRRO
- Armitage CJ, Rahim WA, Rowe R & O'Connor RC (2016) An exploratory randomised trial of a simple, brief psychological intervention to reduce subsequent suicidal ideation and behaviour in patients admitted to hospital for self-harm. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 208(5), 470-476. View this article in WRRO
- Piotrowska PJ, Stride CB, Maughan B, Goodman R, McCaw L & Rowe R (2015) Income gradients within child and adolescent antisocial behaviours. British Journal of Psychiatry, 207(5), 385-391. View this article in WRRO
- Roman GD, Poulter D, Barker E, McKenna FP & Rowe R (2015) Novice drivers’ individual trajectories of driver behavior over the first three years of driving. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 82, 61-69. View this article in WRRO
- Croft S, Stride C, Maughan B & Rowe R (2015) Validity of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in Preschool-Aged Children. PEDIATRICS, 135(5), e1210-e1219. View this article in WRRO
- Denis D, French CC, Rowe R, Zavos HMS, Nolan PM, Parsons MJ & Gregory AM (2015) A twin and molecular genetics study of sleep paralysis and associated factors. Journal of Sleep Research, 24(4), 438-446. View this article in WRRO
- Piotrowska PJ, Stride CB, Croft SE & Rowe R (2015) Socioeconomic status and antisocial behaviour among children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 35, 47-55. View this article in WRRO
- Rowe R, Roman GD, McKenna FP, Barker E & Poulter DR (2015) Measuring errors and violations on the road: A bifactor modeling approach to the Driver Behavior Questionnaire. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 118-125. View this article in WRRO
- Burke JD, Boylan K, Rowe R, Duku E, Stepp SD, Hipwell AE & Waldman ID (2014) Identifying the irritability dimension of ODD: Application of a modified bifactor model across five large community samples of children.. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 123(4), 841-851. View this article in WRRO
- Armitage CJ, Rowe R, Arden MA & Harris PR (2014) A brief psychological intervention that reduces adolescent alcohol consumption.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 82(3), 546-550. View this article in WRRO
- Rowe R (2014) Commentary: Integrating callous and unemotional traits into the definition of antisocial behaviour - A commentary on Frick et al. (2014). Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 55(6), 549-552. View this article in WRRO
- Burke JD, Rowe R & Boylan K (2014) Functional outcomes of child and adolescent oppositional defiant disorder symptoms in young adult men.. J Child Psychol Psychiatry, 55(3), 264-272. View this article in WRRO
- Rowe R, Maughan B, Moran P, Ford T, Briskman J & Goodman R (2010) The role of callous and unemotional traits in the diagnosis of conduct disorder.. J Child Psychol Psychiatry, 51(6), 688-695.