Dr Tom Stafford BSc, PhD
BSc, PhD (Sheffield)
Research Interests, publications, grants and other activites are ...
...available from this webpage http://tomstafford.staff.shef.ac.uk/
Teaching and administrative duties
I am Cognitive Stream Leader. I teach on the MSc in Computational and Cognitive Neuroscience
I am Departmental Public Engagement Lead, which involves PR & Media liaison, coordinating the departmental seminar series, outreach and widening participation liaison, english language teaching centre liaison
For a full list of publications please click here
- Reduced habit-driven errors in Parkinson’s Disease. Nature Scientific Reports, 9. View this article in WRRO
- A diffusion model decomposition of orientation discrimination in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. European Journal of Developmental Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Female Chess Players Outperform Expectations When Playing Men. Psychological Science, 29(3), 429-436. View this article in WRRO
- The relationship between ADHD traits and sensory sensitivity in the general population. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 80, 179-185. View this article in WRRO
- What is implicit bias?. Philosophy Compass, 12(10). View this article in WRRO
- A Drift Diffusion Model account of the semantic congruity effect in a classification paradigm. Journal of Numerical Cognition, 3(1), 77-96. View this article in WRRO
- Increased microsaccade rate in individuals with ADHD traits. Journal of Eye Movement Research, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- Evidence for the Speed-Value Trade-Off: Human and Monkey Decision Making Is Magnitude Sensitive. Decision. View this article in WRRO
- Testing Sleep Consolidation in Skill Learning: A Field Study Using an Online Game. Topics in Cognitive Science. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding Perceptual Judgment in Autism Spectrum Disorder Using the Drift Diffusion Model.. Neuropsychology. View this article in WRRO
- Improving training for sensory augmentation using the science of expertise. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 68, 234-244. View this article in WRRO
- Tracing the trajectory of skill learning with a very large sample of online game players.. Psychol Sci, 25(2), 511-518. View this article in WRRO
- Performance breakdown effects dissociate from error detection effects in typing.. Q J Exp Psychol (Hove), 67(3), 508-524. View this article in WRRO
- When natural selection should optimize speed-accuracy trade-offs.. Front Neurosci, 8, 73. View this article in WRRO
- The path to learning: action acquisition is impaired when visual reinforcement signals must first access cortex.. Behav Brain Res, 243, 267-272. View this article in WRRO
- No learning where to go without first knowing where you're coming from: action discovery is trajectory, not endpoint based.. Front Psychol, 4, 638. View this article in WRRO
- The discovery of novel actions is affected by very brief reinforcement delays and reinforcement modality.. J Mot Behav, 45(4), 351-360. View this article in WRRO
- A novel task for the investigation of action acquisition.. PLoS One, 7(6), e37749. View this article in WRRO
- Piéron's Law holds during stroop conflict: insights into the architecture of decision making.. Cogn Sci, 35(8), 1553-1566.
- Insights into the Function and Mechanism of Saccadic Decision Making From Targets Scaled By an Estimate of the Cortical Magnification Factor. Cognitive Computation, 3(1), 89-93.
- Biologically constrained action selection improves cognitive control in a model of the Stroop task.. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 362(1485), 1671-1684.
- The role of response mechanisms in determining reaction time performance: Piéron's law revisited.. Psychon Bull Rev, 11(6), 975-987. View this article in WRRO
- Intrinsic motivations and open-ended development in animals, humans, and robots: an overview. Frontiers in Psychology, 5. View this article in WRRO
- The perspectival shift: how experiments on unconscious processing don't justify the claims made for them. Frontiers in Psychology, 5. View this article in WRRO
- Creating a movement heuristic for voluntary action: Electrophysiological correlates of movement-outcome learning. Cortex.