Dr Tom Stafford BSc, PhD
BSc, PhD (Sheffield)
Research Interests, publications, grants and other activites are ...
...available from this webpage http://tomstafford.staff.shef.ac.uk/
Teaching and administrative duties
I am Cognitive Stream Leader. I teach on the MSc in Computational and Cognitive Neuroscience
I am Departmental Public Engagement Lead, which involves PR & Media liaison, coordinating the departmental seminar series, outreach and widening participation liaison, english language teaching centre liaison
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Bertram C & Stafford T (2016) Improving training for sensory augmentation using the science of expertise. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 68, 234-244. View this article in WRRO
- Stafford T & Dewar M (2014) Tracing the trajectory of skill learning with a very large sample of online game players.. Psychol Sci, 25(2), 511-518. View this article in WRRO
- Stafford T (2014) The perspectival shift: how experiments on unconscious processing don't justify the claims made for them. Frontiers in Psychology, 5, 1067. View this article in WRRO
- Baldassarre G, Stafford T, Mirolli M, Redgrave P, Ryan RM & Barto A (2014) Intrinsic motivations and open-ended development in animals, humans, and robots: an overview. Frontiers in Psychology, 5, 985. View this article in WRRO
- Pirrone A, Stafford T & Marshall JAR (2014) When natural selection should optimize speed-accuracy trade-offs.. Front Neurosci, 8, 73. View this article in WRRO
- Kalfaoğlu Ç & Stafford T (2014) Performance breakdown effects dissociate from error detection effects in typing.. Q J Exp Psychol (Hove), 67(3), 508-524. View this article in WRRO
- Thirkettle M, Walton T, Shah A, Gurney K, Redgrave P & Stafford T (2013) The path to learning: action acquisition is impaired when visual reinforcement signals must first access cortex.. Behav Brain Res, 243, 267-272. View this article in WRRO
- Walton T, Thirkettle M, Redgrave P, Gurney KN & Stafford T (2013) The discovery of novel actions is affected by very brief reinforcement delays and reinforcement modality.. J Mot Behav, 45(4), 351-360. View this article in WRRO
- Thirkettle M, Walton T, Redgrave P, Gurney K & Stafford T (2013) No learning where to go without first knowing where you're coming from: action discovery is trajectory, not endpoint based.. Front Psychol, 4, 638. View this article in WRRO
- Stafford T, Thirkettle M, Walton T, Vautrelle N, Hetherington L, Port M, Gurney K & Redgrave P (2012) A novel task for the investigation of action acquisition.. PLoS One, 7(6), e37749. View this article in WRRO
- Stafford T, Ingram L & Gurney KN (2011) Piéron's Law holds during stroop conflict: insights into the architecture of decision making.. Cogn Sci, 35(8), 1553-1566.
- Yates DJ & Stafford T (2011) Insights into the Function and Mechanism of Saccadic Decision Making From Targets Scaled By an Estimate of the Cortical Magnification Factor. Cognitive Computation, 3(1), 89-93.
- Stafford T & Gurney KN (2007) Biologically constrained action selection improves cognitive control in a model of the Stroop task.. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 362(1485), 1671-1684.
- Stafford T & Gurney KN (2004) The role of response mechanisms in determining reaction time performance: Piéron's law revisited.. Psychon Bull Rev, 11(6), 975-987. View this article in WRRO
- Bednark JG, Franz EA, Reynolds JNJ, Stafford T & Redgrave P () Creating a movement heuristic for voluntary action: Electrophysiological correlates of movement-outcome learning. Cortex.