Entry requirements and how to apply

Whether you're in the process of choosing your next steps to prepare for university or you're ready to apply for a degree, we have a long history of welcoming mature students. A mature student is somebody who will be aged 21 or over at the start of their course.

As a mature student your application is guaranteed to be given additional consideration, relating to your relevant academic, professional and life experiences.

Graduating mature student

Mature studentIf you're ready to apply via UCAS

Access to HE Diploma – entry requirements

If you are studying for an Access to HE Diploma, please use UCAS course search to find the entry requirements for the course you are interested in.

Once you've found the course, you'll find this information under 'Entry Requirements', 'Other Academic Requirements.' Remember, entry requirements vary from course to course and, in some cases, additional qualifications may be required.

Want to know the other qualifications which we consider for entry? Try our other UK qualifications page.

Still have questions? Email us using mature.student@sheffield.ac.uk.

Department for Lifelong Learning degrees with foundation year

If you're interested in one of the Department for Lifelong Learning's degrees with a foundation year, before you submit your formal application contact the department to discuss your circumstances and your options.

Applying for a place

For details of how to apply, go to the UCAS Apply webpages.

Our guidance on applying, including our standard requirements, can be found via our Applying Essentials page.

If you're choosing your next steps

If you don't currently hold the qualifications required for direct entry to one of our undergraduate degree courses, there are a number of routes you can consider.

Department for Lifelong Learning

If your Level 3 (A Level or equivalent) qualifications were completed more than three years ago, or you're from a non-traditional background and don't have Level 3 qualifications, contact our Department for Lifelong Learning for guidance.

This department is a gateway to the University for mature and part-time students. It provides a range of entry points to and progression routes through the University including:

  • degrees with an integrated foundation year which, after one year of study, can lead directly onto the first year of a full University of Sheffield degree
  • a range of shorter, part-time Certificate in Higher Education courses if you don't want to commit to a full degree programme.

Department for Lifelong Learning courses

Access to HE Diploma and other couses

If our Department for Lifelong Learning courses aren't for you, the most popular qualification mature students use for entry to our degree courses is the Access to HE Diploma. These courses are provided by many local colleges.

Access to HE Diploma courses

There are other options, such as Open University courses, which we consider on a case-by-case basis.

Science and Engineering Foundation Year

For courses in engineering and some science subjects, our Science and Engineering Foundation Year is intended for strong applicants who don’t have the subject background required for entry to the first year of a degree course.

Science and Engineering Foundation Year

Mature international students

If you are a mature international student and don't meet our entry requirements, you should contact the University of Sheffield International College to discuss their preparatory courses.

The University of Sheffield International College

Explore our undergraduate degree courses in more detail and find out about our mature student open days, see our online undergraduate prospectus and Open Days pages.