Professor Merlyne De Souza
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Chair in Micro Electronics
Semiconductor Materials and Devices Research Group
+44 114 222 5167
Full contact details
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
I graduated with a BSc in Physics and Mathematics (1985) from the University of Mumbai, a BE. in Electronics and Communications Engineering (1988) from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and a PhD from the University of Cambridge (1994).
I joined as a Junior Research fellow in ‘95, was promoted to a Senior Research fellow in ‘98 and was appointed Professor in Electronics and Materials at the Emerging Technologies Research Centre, De Montfort University in 2003.
I joined the EEE department at Sheffield as Professor of Microelectronics in 2007. I work in multi-disciplinary research focused on the physics of devices, materials and their microelectronic applications in computing, communications and energy conversion.
Until now, microelectronics has relied on the versatility of silicon CMOS to deliver enhancement in performance by scaling the MOS transistor. I have worked on various aspects of CMOS such as reliability, high-k gate oxides and Indium for retrograde channels, first introduced in production at the 65 nm node.
However, scaling (as we know it) is now nearing an end and alternate materials and device architectures are required for future semiconductor applications.
Supervised learning for image and speech recognition, autonomous driving and medical diagnosis in Artificial Intelligence (AI) presently rely on CMOS based deep neural networks.
These are inherently power-hungry due to a continuous exchange of information between the required large volume of memory and processing units.
It is expected that such Von Neumann architectures will be replaced by neuromorphic systems that are more akin to a biological brain.
Our team has recently demonstrated ZnO/Ta2O5 solid electrolyte thin film transistors with synaptic capabilities.
I am interested in exploring such memristive devices in neuromorphic applications, electrochemical storage and flexible electronics for health.
My interest in more efficient semiconductors, smart materials and systems that leave a smaller footprint on the environment, spans to GaN for power and RF applications, that I have previously explored in equivalent silicon- based device technologies such as the IGBT and the RF LDMOSFET.
These are driven by the automotive, aerospace, space, renewables, telecoms and consumer/industrial electronics sectors.
Our recent work includes a new class of harmonic RF power amplifiers with record efficiency and output power prototyped using commercial GaN devices.
We are also working towards a p-type MOSHFET and magnetic thin films for “CMOS in GaN” in power management integrated circuits and current sensors.
- PhD (Engineering), University of Cambridge 1994
- BEng (Electronics & Communications Engineering), Indian Institute of Science Bangalore 1988
- BSc (Physics & Mathematics), University of Bombay 1985
- Research interests
· GaN: CMOS, heterogeneous Integration, on-chip inductors/magnetic materials for Power Management Integrated Circuits and power devices.
· Sensors and actuators for health applications.
· Memory devices for neuromorphic applications.
· RF Power Amplifiers.
· Perovskite solar cells.
- Ease of Matching a Load Line Impedance in a 25 W Contiguous Mode Class BJFTEXPRESERVE0 Broadband Amplifier. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 1-0.
- Origins of the Schottky barrier to a 2DHG in a Au/Ni/GaN/AlGaN/GaN heterostructure. ACS Applied Electronic Materials.
- Optimization of normally-off β-Ga2O3 MOSFET with high Ion and BFOM: A TCAD study. AIP Advances, 12(6). View this article in WRRO
- Reservoir computing for temporal data classification using a dynamic solid electrolyte ZnO thin film transistor. Frontiers in Electronics, 3. View this article in WRRO
- 3D microstructured frequency selective surface based on carbonized polyimide films for terahertz applications. Advanced Optical Materials.
- Hierarchically interlaced 2D copper iodide/MXene composite for high thermoelectric performance. physica status solidi (RRL) – Rapid Research Letters.
- Necessary conditions for steep switching in a constant Resistor-Capacitor RCFET. MRS Advances.
- Reactive inkjet printing of graphene based flexible circuits and radio frequency antennas. Journal of Materials Chemistry C.
- Designing a broadband amplifier without loadpull. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. View this article in WRRO
- Off-state operation of a three terminal ionic FET for logic-in-memory. IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society. View this article in WRRO
- Development of GaN transducer and on-chip concentrator for galvanic current sensing. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices. View this article in WRRO
- A p-Channel GaN Heterostructure Tunnel FET With High ON/OFF Current Ratio. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices. View this article in WRRO
- High-Efficiency Modes Contiguous With Class B/J and Continuous Class F
- An Integrated On-Chip Flux Concentrator for Galvanic Current Sensing. IEEE Electron Device Letters, 39(11), 1752-1755. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation of the Effect of Weak Non-Linearities on P1dB and Efficiency of Class B/J/J* Amplifiers. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 65(9), 1159-1163. View this article in WRRO
- Negative Capacitance beyond Ferroelectric Switches. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 10(23), 19812-19819. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of channel thickness on the performance of an E-mode p-channel MOSHFET in GaN. Applied Physics Letters, 112(15). View this article in WRRO
- Numerical Analysis of 3-D Scaling Rules on a 1.2-kV Trench Clustered IGBT. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 65(4), 1440-1446. View this article in WRRO
- The 2018 GaN power electronics roadmap. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 51(16), 163001-163001. View this article in WRRO
- Diffusion-Controlled Faradaic Charge Storage in High-Performance Solid Electrolyte-Gated Zinc Oxide Thin-Film Transistors. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 10(11), 9782-9791. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling the threshold voltage of p-channel enhancement-mode GaN heterostructure field-effect transistors. IET Power Electronics, 11(4), 675-680. View this article in WRRO
- An E-Mode p-Channel GaN MOSHFET for a CMOS Compatible PMIC. IEEE Electron Device Letters, 38(10), 1449-1452. View this article in WRRO
- Nanoionics-Based Three-Terminal Synaptic Device Using Zinc Oxide. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9(2), 1609-1618. View this article in WRRO
- Separation of bulk and contact interface degradation in thin film silicon solar cells. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 7(6), 063115-063115.
- Decoupling of epitaxial graphene via gold intercalation probed by dispersive Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Applied Physics, 117(18), 183103-183103. View this article in WRRO
- Design of Schottky Contacts for Optimum Performance of Thin-Film Silicon Solar Cells. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 5(1), 22-27. View this article in WRRO
- Compact core model for Symmetric Double-Gate Junctionless Transistors. Solid-State Electronics, 94, 91-97.
- Erratum: Extraction of Schottky barrier at the F-doped SnO
2/TiO 2interface in Dye Sensitized solar cells (Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy (2014) 6 (013142)). Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 6(2).
- Extraction of Schottky barrier at the F-doped SnO
2/TiO 2interface in Dye Sensitized solar cells. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 6(1).
- Transport mechanisms and effective Schottky barrier height of ZnO/a-Si:H and ZnO/μc-Si:H heterojunction solar cells. Journal of Applied Physics, 114(18).
- Communication: electronic band gaps of semiconducting zig-zag carbon nanotubes from many-body perturbation theory calculations.. J Chem Phys, 136(18), 181101.
itextraction from conductance-frequency measurements using a transmission-line model in weak inversion of poly/TiN/HfO 2nMOSFETs. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 59(3), 827-834.
- Position paper on Carbon Nanotubes. Nano Newsletter, 20-21.
- Superlattice of resonators on monolayer graphene created by intercalated gold nanoclusters. EPL, 91(6).
- A methodology for extraction of the density of interface states in the presence of frequency dispersion via the conductance technique. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 57(7), 1642-1650.
- Anomalous n-type electrical behaviour of Pd-contacted CNTFET fabricated on small-diameter nanotube. Nanotechnology, 21(21).
- Evaluation of the Coulomb-limited mobility in high- κ dielectric metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors. Journal of Applied Physics, 107(6).
- Understanding the role of the insulator in the performance of ZnO TFTs. THIN SOLID FILMS, 518(4), 1177-1179.
- Electronic properties of extended graphene nanomaterials from GW calculations. PHYSICA STATUS SOLIDI B-BASIC SOLID STATE PHYSICS, 246(11-12), 2572-2576.
- Comparative analysis of VDMOS/LDMOS power transistors for RF amplifiers. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 57(11), 2643-2651. View this article in WRRO
- Surface intercalation of gold underneath a graphene monolayer on SiC(0001) studied by scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy. Applied Physics Letters, 94(26).
- Role of hybridization on the Schottky barrier height of carbon nanotube field effect transistors. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 79(12).
- SO-limited mobility in a germanium inversion channel with non-ideal metal gate. Thin Solid Films, 517(1), 412-415.
- The effect of gate-bias stress and temperature on the performance of ZnO thin-film transistors. IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, 8(2), 277-282.
- A comparison of the performance and stability of ZnO-TFTs with silicon dioxide and nitride as gate insulators. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 55(5), 1109-1115. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of aluminum nitride as an insulator on the performance of zinc oxide thin film transistors. Applied Physics Letters, 92(9).
- The effect of gate bias stress and temperature on the performance of ZnO Thin Film Transistors. IEEE Trans. Device and Materials Reliability, 8, 277.
- Position paper on Carbon Nanotubes. Nanonewsletter.(13).
- Impact of a nonideal metal gate on surface optical phonon-limited mobility in high-κ gated MOSFETs. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 54(11), 2991-2997.
- Analysis of P
bcenters in ultrathin hafnium silicate gate stacks. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 54(9), 2551-2555.
- Performance of ZnO TFTs with AlN as Insulator. MRS Proceedings, 1035.
- Analytic large-signal modeling of silicon RF power MOSFETs. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 55(5), 829-837.
- Impact of Polarons on the Mobility of Non-Ideal Metal/High-k Gate Stack MOSFETs. ECS Meeting Abstracts, MA2007-01(29), 1102-1102.
- Design for reliability: The RF power LDMOSFET. IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, 7(1), 162-174.
- Ab initio investigation of charge controlled technique for control of Schottky contacts in CNTs. Journal of Materials, 0957, 4522-4522.
- Investigating the stability of zinc oxide thin film transistors. Applied Physics Letters, 89(26).
- The Impact of Fermi Pinning on Thermal Properties of the Instabilities in ZnO TFTs. MRS Proceedings, 957.
- Impact of the size 4 cluster on low temperature indium diffusion in silicon. JOURNAL OF PHYSICS-CONDENSED MATTER, 17(22), S2165-S2170.
- DFT analysis of the Indium-Arsenic-vacancy cluster in silicon. Journal of solid state defects: Defects and diffusion in Semiconductors: An Annual Retrospective VIII, 29-29.
- Defect interaction mechanisms between antimony and indium in silicon. GETTERING AND DEFECT ENGINEERING IN SEMICONDUCTOR TECHNOLOGY XI, 108-109, 425-430.
- Innovation in power semiconductor industry: Past and future. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 52(4), 429-439.
- MOS control device concepts for AC-AC matrix converter applications: The HCD concept for high-efficiency anode-gated devices. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 52(9), 2075-2080.
- A low temperature combination method for the production of ZnO nanowires. Nanotechnology, 16(10), 2188-2192.
- Interactions of indium, arsenic and carbon in silicon using the pseudopotential technique. SILICON FRONT-END JUNCTION FORMATION-PHYSICS AND TECHNOLOGY, 810, 333-338.
- Influence of mobility model on extraction of stress dependent source-drain series resistance. Microelectronics Reliability, 44(1), 25-32.
- Structure and diffusion of interstitial boron pairs in silicon. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 69(3).
- A novel double RESURF LDMOS for HVIC's. Microelectronics Journal, 35(3), 305-310.
- Dual gate lateral inversion layer emitter transistor for power and high voltage integrated circuits. IEE Proceedings: Circuits, Devices and Systems, 151(3), 203-206.
- Comparative study of drift region designs in RF LDMOSFETs. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 51(8), 1296-1303.
- Progress in MOS-controlled bipolar devices and edge termination technologies. Microelectronics Journal, 35(3), 235-248.
- 1.7 kV NPTV-groove clustered IGBT. IEE Proceedings: Circuits, Devices and Systems, 151(3), 265-268.
- Analysis and optimisation of the trench gated emitter switched thyristor. Solid-State Electronics, 48(12), 2207-2211.
- Mobile silicon di-interstitial: Surface, self-interstitial clustering, and transient enhanced diffusion phenomena. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 68(19).
- Characterisation of series resistance degradation through charge pumping technique. MICROELECTRONICS RELIABILITY, 43(4), 617-624.
- A high performance RF LDMOSFET in thin film SOI technology with step drift profile. Solid-State Electronics, 47(11), 1937-1941.
- Dynamics of self-interstitial cluster formation in silicon. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 66(4), 452051-452056.
- Growth of precursors in silicon using pseudopotential calculations. Physical Review Letters, 88(8), 085501/1-085501/4.
- Advancement on power semiconductor Devices. Power Electronics Europe(6), 28-35.
- High voltage polycrystalline thin-film transistor with variable doping slots in the offset region. Applied Physics Letters, 80(12), 2192-2194.
- Analysis of the breakdown voltage in SOI and SOS technologies. Solid-State Electronics, 46(2), 255-261.
- Striped anode engineering: A concept for fast switching power devices. Solid-State Electronics, 46(6), 903-909.
- Experimental demonstration of an ultra-fast double gate inversion layer emitter transistor (DG-ILET). IEEE Electron Device Letters, 23(12), 725-727.
- Clustered Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor - A New Power Semiconductor Device. IEE Proceedings Special Issue: Circuits, Devices and systems, 148 (2), 75-78.
- The Injection-Enhancement Effect in a Novel, Trench Planar Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor. IEE Proceedings Special Issue: Circuits, Devices and Systems,, 148(2), 79-82.
- A Comparison of Early Stage Hot carrier Degradation behaviour in 5V & 3 V submicron Low Doped Drain Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors. Microelectronics reliability, 42(2), 169.
- Quantifying the nature of hot carrier degradation in the Spacer Region of LDD n MOSFETs. IEEE Transactions on Devices and Materials Reliability, 1, 134.
- 6.5 kV clustered insulated gate bipolar transistor in homogeneous base technology. Solid-State Electronics, 45(1), 71-77.
- Monolithic integration of low voltage devices in 3 kV planar MOS controlled power devices. Solid-State Electronics, 45(1), 127-132.
- Radial confinement in lateral power devices. Microelectronics Journal, 32(5-6), 481-484.
- Monolithic integration of a high-performance clustered insulated gate bipolar transistor with low-voltage components to form a 3 kV intelligent power chip. Microelectronics Journal, 32(5-6), 527-536.
- Investigation into the mechanisms limiting the safe operating area of a LIGBT in DI and DELDI technologies. Microelectronics Journal, 32(2), 121-126.
- A study of fully coordinated precursors in silicon using the Ackland potential. Physica B: Condensed Matter, 304(1-4), 483-488.
- A segmented anode, npn controlled lateral insulated gate bipolar transistor. Solid-State Electronics, 45(7), 1055-1058.
- A novel metal field plate edge termination for power devices. Microelectronics Journal, 32(4), 323-326.
- A novel area efficient floating field limiting ring edge termination technique. SOLID-STATE ELECTRONICS, 44(8), 1381-1386.
- The Kirk effect in the DELDI technology. MICROELECTRONICS JOURNAL, 31(3), 175-185.
- A Closed form analytical solution of 6H-SiC punch-through junction breakdown voltages. Materials Science Forum, 338-3, 1359.
- Comparison of 5kV 4H-SiC N-channel and P-Channel IGBTs. Material Science Forum, 338-3, 1411.
- Trade-off between the Kirk effect and the breakdown performance in resurfed lateral bipolar transistors for high voltage, high frequency applications. Solid-State Electronics, 44(10), 1869-1873.
- Local charge control technique to improve the forward bias safe operating area of LIGBT. Solid-State Electronics, 44(7), 1213-1218.
- 1200 V fully implanted JI technology. Electronics Letters, 36(18), 1587-1589.
- Radial confinement: Concept for lateral power devices. Electronics Letters, 36(14), 1242-1244.
- A lateral MOS-controlled thyristor-enhanced insulated gate bipolar transistor. SOLID-STATE ELECTRONICS, 43(10), 1845-1853.
- Design of novel high side power MOSFET based on HVIC process. Electronics Letters, 35(21), 1880-1880.
- Novel gate geometry for the IGBT: The trench planar insulated gate bipolar transistor (TPIGBT). IEEE Electron Device Letters, 20(11), 580-582.
- Planar self-interstitial in silicon. Physical Review Letters, 83(9), 1799-1801.
- Self-diffusion in silicon. Defect and Diffusion Forum, 153-155, 69-80.
- Novel lateral MOS controlled power devices and technologies for high voltage integrated circuits. Solid State Phenomena, 55, 51.
- A Monte Carlo study of the kickout mechanism of boron diffusion in silicon. Journal of Applied Physics, 79(5), 2418-2425.
- Double resurf technology for HVICs. Electronics Letters, 32(12), 1092-1093.
- The characteristic method applied to spin-coating in one dimension. Computational Materials Science, 4(3), 233-240.
- An analysis of the kickout mechanism in silicon. Solid-State Electronics, 38(4), 867-872.
- A study of the configurations of boron in silicon using an empirical approach. Computational Materials Science, 3(1), 69-77.
- Maximum distance of anticodes. Electronics Letters, 27(17), 1564-1564.
- Carbon nanotubes and graphene: From structural to device properties, Modeling, Characterization, and Production of Nanomaterials (pp. 271-303). Elsevier
- Carbon Nanotubes: from structural to device properties In Tewary V & Zhang Y (Ed.), Modeling, Characterization and Production of Nanomaterials Woodhead Publishing
- Carbon-based nanomaterials, Modeling, Characterization, and Production of Nanomaterials (pp. 203-231). Elsevier
- Drift Engineering of Silicon RF Power MOSFETs In Cai WZ (Ed.), Si-based semiconductor components for radio-frequency integrated circuits (RFIC)
Conference proceedings papers
- Fabrication of Graphene Oxide from the Graphite rod of a disposed battery. Proceedings of the 6th international conference on green technology and sustainable development
- Characterization of traps in a Power Amplifier using a time domain approach. 2022 International Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits (INMMiC), Vol. 00 (pp 1-3)
- Modelling Challenges for Enabling High Performance Amplifiers in 5G/6G Applications. 2021 28th International Conference on Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and System, 24 June 2021 - 26 June 2021.
- A Ta2O5/ZnO Synaptic SE-FET for supervised learning in a crossbar, Vol. 00 (pp 1-3)
- A methodology to design broadband matching networks for continuum mode PAs. 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 10 December 2019 - 13 December 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Class BJF-1: Simplifying the design methodology of RF Power Amplifiers. Book of abstracts AARMS, 1 April 2019 - 2 April 2019.
- An ultralow power 3-terminal memory device with write capability in the off-state. Proceedings of the 3rd Electron Devices Technology manufacturing conference.. Singapore, 13 March 2019 - 15 March 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Influence of an underlying 2DEG on the performance of a p-channel MOSHFET in GaN. Proceedings of the IWN 2018
- View this article in WRRO Solid Electrolyte Transistors: Mechanisms and Applications. Book of abstracts 7th TCM Greece
- View this article in WRRO Class BJF-1- A new class of amplifier for high efficiency and output power. Proceedings of the 9th Wide Bandgap Semiconductors and Components Workshop, 8 November 2018 - 9 October 2018.
- On the Dynamic characteristics of Ferroelectric and Paraelectric FETs. 2018 IEEE Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing Conference, EDTM 2018 - Proceedings (pp 184-186) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Mechanism of Turn-Off Operation in E-mode p-channel MOSHFET in GaN. UK Semiconductors 2017 book of abstracts
- Raman spectroscopy characterisation of laser induced degradation in methyl ammonium lead iodide perovskite layers. UK Semiconductors 2017
- Highly oriented (202) mixed halide perovskite for enhanced solar cell performance. UK Semiconductors book of abstracts 2017
- Analysis of a clustered IGBT and silicon carbide MOSFET hybrid switch. Proceedings of the 26th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (pp 612-615), 19 June 2017 - 21 June 2017. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Enhancement mode p-channel devices for GaN CMOS.. Proceedings of the International Conference on Optimisation of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, OPTIM
- Extending the bounds of performance in E-mode p-channel GaN MOSHFETs. 2016 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO The behaviour and peculiarities of ZnO/Tantalum oxide memristor system. Book of abstracts TCM 2016
- Diffusion mechanism of vacancies in Tantalum oxide. TCM 2016
- Memory and Learning behaviour of ZnO based transparent synaptic thin film transistors. TCM 2016
- View this article in WRRO Engineering the threshold Voltage in p-channel GaN HFETs. Proceedings of the ISPS 2016
- A study of the performance of solar cells for indoor autonomous wireless sensors. Proceedings of the 2016 10th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP) (pp 1-6)
- View this article in WRRO Evaluation of the Analytic Approach for design of deep class AB Power Amplifiers in GaN. Book of abstracts UK semiconductors
- View this article in WRRO Theoretical modelling of 2DHG in Oxide/GaN/AlGaN/GaN heterostructures. Book of abstracts UK semiconductors
- View this article in WRRO Centimetre scale mesoscopic perovskite solar cells via a novel combined solid state-solution crystallisation method. Book of abstracts UK Semi 2016
- Understanding the Response of GaN HEMT to Optimization Criteria in RF Power Amplifiers Using the Analytic Approach. Proceedings of the Active and Passive RF devices Seminar (pp 8 (7 .)-8 (7 .)-8 (7 .)-8 (7 .))
- Transport Mechanism in Sub 100°C Processed High Mobility Polycrystalline ZnO Transparent Thin Film Transistors. Proceedings of the IEDM (pp 28.1.1-28.1.4)
- Next generation 1200V trench CIGBT for high voltage applications. 2015 IEEE 27th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices & IC's (ISPSD), 10 May 2015 - 14 May 2015.
- The next generation 1200V Trench Clustered IGBT technology with improved trade-off relationship. 2015 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 15 March 2015 - 19 March 2015.
- Designing high power RF amplifiers: An analytic approach. Proceedings of ICCDCS 2014 (pp 1-5)
- Are carbon nanotubes still a viable option for ITRS 2024?. Technical Digest - International Electron Devices Meeting, IEDM
- Analytical techniques for the simulation of electron transport in semiconductor systems. Proceedings of the International Conference on Optimisation of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, OPTIM (pp 822-826)
- Progress of Power devices in RF Applications. Proceedings of the ISPS
- RF power amplifier: Pushing the boundaries of performance versus cost. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 8549
- Band structure modifications in self assembled graphene superlattice probed by dispersive Raman spectroscopy. UK Semiconductors 2011. Sheffield, 2011.
- High-k gate dielectric MOSFETs: Meeting the challenges of characterization and modeling. ECS Transactions, Vol. 35(4) (pp 563-580)
- Class-D power amplifiers using LDMOS and GaN power devices: A comparative analysis. Proceedings of the Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - MELECON (pp 691-694)
- Semi-analytical solutions to the Schroedinger-Poisson model of electron states. Proceedings of the International Conference on Optimisation of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, OPTIM (pp 180-184)
- Call for papers second international workshop on compact thin-film transistor (TFT) modeling for circuit simulation. 2009 Compact Thin-Film Transistor Modeling for Circuit Simulation, 25 September 2009 - 25 September 2009.
- Scattering at MOS Interfaces. WORLD CONGRESS ON ENGINEERING 2009, VOLS I AND II (pp 392-+)
- Dit characterisation from small signal analysis of Poly/TiN HfO2 gated MOSFETS. International Gate Stack Conference. San Fransisco
- Semi-Empirical Phonon Scattering Model. WORLD CONGRESS ON ENGINEERING 2009, VOLS I AND II (pp 417-+)
- Effect of Hydrazine on Al-Contacted Carbon Nanotube Field Effect Transistors Using Density Functional Theory. JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, VOL 1, NO 1, Vol. 1(1) (pp 24-28)
- New analytical expressions for the design of linear power amplifier using GaN HEMTs. APMC 2009 - Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2009 (pp 1112-1115)
- Effect of Hydrazine on Al contacted CNTFETs using density functional theory. Journal of Scientific Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1 (pp 19-23)
- Performance of ZnO TFTs with AlN as insulator. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 1035 (pp 176-180)
- Ab initio investigation of charge transfer technique for control of Schottky contacts in CNTs. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE-MATERIALS IN ELECTRONICS, Vol. 18(7) (pp 729-734)
- The impact of Fermi pinning on thermal properties of the instabilities in ZnO TFTs. ZINC OXIDE AND RELATED MATERIALS, Vol. 957 (pp 403-+)
- Investigating the stability of thin film transistors with zinc oxide as the channel layer. 2007 IEEE INTERNATIONAL RELIABILITY PHYSICS SYMPOSIUM PROCEEDINGS - 45TH ANNUAL (pp 467-+)
- Performance and Stability of ZnO TFTs with SiO2, SiN and AlN gate insulators. Proceedings of the MRS 2007 Multifunctional oxides. Greece, 2007.
- Influence of Chemical Dopant Technique to Reduce Schottky Barriers of Pd-Contacted CNTFETs. MRS Proceedings, Vol. 963
- Experimental study of the impact of SO phonon scattering in high-κ gate dielectric MOSFETs. 210th Transactions of the Electrochemical society, Vol. 3. Cancun
- Experimental study of the impact of so phonon scattering in high-κ gate dielectric MOSFETs. ECS Transactions, Vol. 3(3) (pp 49-56)
- Hot-carrier injection in step-drift rf power LDMOSFET. IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 2004-January(January) (pp 283-287)
- Influence of temperature and doping parameters on the performance of segmented anode NPN (SA-NPN) LIGBT. ISPSD '04: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON POWER SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES & ICS (pp 285-287)
- Hot-carrier injection in step-drift RF power LDMOSFET. 2004 IEEE INTERNATIONAL RELIABILITY PHYSICS SYMPOSIUM PROCEEDINGS (pp 283-287)
- A study of indium activation in silicon using pseudopotential calculations. 2004 24TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, PROCEEDINGS, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 283-286)
- Edge effect under temperature bias stress of 0.18 mu m PMOS technology. 2004 24TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, PROCEEDINGS, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 645-648)
- Design of an RF LDMOSFET with deep drift and hot carrier immunity using time domain approach. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD), Vol. 16 (pp 241-244)
- Influence of the design parameters on the performance of 1.7 kV, NPT, planar clustered insulated gate bipolar transistor (CIGBT). IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD), Vol. 16 (pp 269-272)
- Dual gate lateral inversion layer emitter transistor for power and high voltage integrated circuits. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 216-219)
- 1.7kV NPT V-groove clustered IGBT - Fabrication and experimental demonstration. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 345-348)
- Anode-gated MOS controlled thyristor with ultra-fast switching capability. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 299-302)
- Device quality SiO
2films by liquid phase deposition (LPD) at 48°C. Materials Research Society Symposium - Proceedings, Vol. 716 (pp 317-323)
- Progress in silicon RF Power MOS technologies-current and future trends. ICCDCS 2002 - 4th IEEE International Caracas Conference on Devices, Circuits and Systems
- Novel dual gate high voltage TFT with variable doping slot. 2002 23RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, VOLS 1 AND 2, PROCEEDINGS (pp 155-158)
- Impact of oxide degradation on universal mobility behaviour of n-MOS inversion layers. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 9TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON THE PHYSICAL & FAILURE ANALYSIS OF INTEGRATED CIRCUITS (pp 227-231)
- Nature of hot carrier damage in Spacer oxide of LDD n-MOSFETs. 2002 23RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, VOLS 1 AND 2, PROCEEDINGS (pp 735-739)
- Influence of physical parameters on the quasi-saturation of a power SOI RF LDMOS. IEEE International Conference on Semiconductor Electronics, Proceedings, ICSE (pp 314-318)
- Characterisation of dual gate lateral inversion layer emitter transistor. IEE Conference Publication(487) (pp 557-561)
- Overview of trench gated MOS-Controlled bipolar semiconductor power devices. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 4746 I (pp 444-449)
- Advances in devices and technologies for power and high voltage integrated circuits. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 4746 I (pp 422-431)
- The investigation into the recent mergers and acquisitions in power semiconductor industry. IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, Vol. 2 (pp 826-830)
- The accumulation enhanced emitter switched thyristor - a novel area efficient power semiconductor device. 2002 23RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, VOLS 1 AND 2, PROCEEDINGS (pp 151-154)
- Innovation and competition: Are they crucial in power semiconductor industry? A market perspective. 2002 23RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MICROELECTRONICS, VOLS 1 AND 2, PROCEEDINGS (pp 7-13)
- Injection-enhancement effect in a novel, trench-planar insulated gate bipolar transistor. IEE PROCEEDINGS-CIRCUITS DEVICES AND SYSTEMS, Vol. 148(2) (pp 79-82)
- Clustered insulated gate bipolar transistor: a new power semiconductor device. IEE PROCEEDINGS-CIRCUITS DEVICES AND SYSTEMS, Vol. 148(2) (pp 75-78)
- A novel, 1.2 kV trench clustered IGBT with ultra high performance. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 323-326)
- Early stage hot carrier degradation of state-of-the-art LDD N-MOSFETs. Annual Proceedings - Reliability Physics (Symposium) (pp 108-111)
- A novel area efficient edge termination technique for planar, MOS controlled power devices. PROCEEDING OF THE TENTH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON THE PHYSICS OF SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES, VOLS I AND II, Vol. 3975 (pp 349-352)
- A novel 'cool' insulated base transistor. 12TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON POWER SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES & ICS - PROCEEDINGS (pp 313-316)
- Clustered IGBT - A new power semiconductor device. PROCEEDING OF THE TENTH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON THE PHYSICS OF SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES, VOLS I AND II, Vol. 3975 (pp 1307-1312)
- Self-interstitial clusters in silicon. Materials Research Society Symposium - Proceedings, Vol. 610
- Resurfed lateral bipolar transistors for high-voltage, High-frequency applications. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 185-187)
- A novel, clustered insulated gate bipolar transistor for high power applications. Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 173-181)
- The radial confinement: A new approach to high voltage lateral power devices. Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 349-352)
- Influence of the N plus floating emitter on the on-state characteristics of the trench EST. 2000 INTERNATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR CONFERENCE, VOLS 1 AND 2, CAS 2000 PROCEEDINGS (pp 329-332)
- Novel dual gated lateral MOS-Bipolar power device. IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD) (pp 261-264)
- Trench planar insulated gate bipolar transistor (TPIGBT). Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 51-54)
- Analysis of a COOL-MOSFET. Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 131-135)
- Influence of a shallow p+ offset region on a novel edge termination technique using lightly doped p-rings. Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 63-66)
- High performance 60-V class lateral power MOSFET on thin film SOI with a graded doping profile in the drift region. Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Conference, CAS, Vol. 1 (pp 123-126)
- The trench planar insulated gate bipolar transistor (TPIGBT). IEE Colloquium (Digest)(104) (pp 75-79)
- A new lateral insulated base emitter switched thyristor. ISPSD '98 - PROCEEDINGS OF THE 10TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON POWER SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES & ICS (pp 221-224)
- Capacitance Modelling of a Transistor for RF Power Amplifiers in 5G Applications. MOS-AK Workshop, 3 July 2022 - 5 July 2022.
- A study of the mechanism of the nonlinear input capacitance on the RF performance in GaN HEMT devices. Automated RF and Microwave Measurement Society (ARMMS) 33rd conference. Wyboston, 9 November 2015 - 10 November 2015.
- Engineering of the window layer for optimum performance of thin film silicon solar cells. 4th International Symposium on Energy Challenges & Mechanics. Aberdeen, Scotland, 11 August 2015 - 13 August 2015.
- A New Generation of Clustered IGBT with High Ruggedness. PCIM. Shanghai, 25 June 2015 - 25 June 2015.
- Stability of transparent oxide thin film transistors. Thirteenth international meeting on information displays. Daegu Korea, 2013.
- Extraction of Schottky Barrier in the presence of bias dependent ideality factors in ZnO/μc-Si:H heterojunctions for solar cells. Fourth international symposium on transparent conductive materials. Greece, 2012.
- Investigating Reverse Intermodulation Distortion in Power Amplifiers. UK Semiconductors. Sheffield, 2012.
- Investigation into the Fabrication of Vanadium Dioxide Thin Films using the Precursor Oxidation Process. UK Semiconductors. Sheffield, 2012.
- Importance of band gap on the performance prediction in carbon nanotube and graphene nanoribbon devices. UK Semiconductors. Sheffield, 2012.
- Analytic Approach to design of harmonically tuned RF Power Amplifiers. UK Semiconductors. Sheffield, 2011.
- “High-k Gate Dielectric MOSFETs: Meeting the challenges of characterisation and modelling”,. ECS Transactions 35(4), 563 (2011).
- Ab initio investigation of the doping effect of epitaxial graphene via intercalation of a gold monolayer. 10th International conference on the science of application of Nanotubes 2009. Beijing, 2010.
- Variation of dielectric permittivity through insulator/silicon interface: Effect on Coulomb limited mobility in MOSFETs. UK Semiconductors. Sheffield, 2010.
- Investigating the TCO ZnO and p-type microcrystalline silicon contact for thin film solar cells. Third International conference on Transparent Conducting Materials, Greece 2010. Greece, 2010.
- Diameter dependent electrical measurements of individual SW-CNTFET. Final Fone Conference. Madrid, 2009.
- Surface intercalation of gold underneath a graphene monolayer on SiC(0001) studied by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM) and Spectroscopy (STS). 10th International conference on Atomically controlled surfaces, interfaces and nanostructures. Granada, 2009.
- Carbon based electronics- A perspective from theory and experiment. Final Fone Conference. Madrid, 2009.
- Mixed Ab-initio Quantum Mechanical/Monte Carlo Calculations to Probe Electronic Correlations in Graphite and Graphene Nanostructures. MRS. san Fransisco, 2009.
- Diameter dependence of the charge transfer between CNTs and a chemical p-type dopant. MRS. Boston, 2008.
- Schottky barrier Heights of Carbon nanotube FETs: Experiment versus Theory. ICCES. Honolulu, 2008.
- Electronic Properties of carbon based nanostructures from GW calculations. Nanotubes 2008. Montpellier, 2008.
- Highlights of progress on the determination of intrinsic transport properties of CNTFETs. First Fone conference. Taormina, Sicily, 2008.
- Landau Damping Effects on SO Limited Mobility. ECS Transactions, Vol. 6(16) (pp 61-71)
- Defect Interaction Mechanisms between Antimony and Indium in Silicon (pp 425-432)
- Dual gate lateral inversion layer emitter transistor. Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and Ics
- Degradation behaviour of polysilicon high voltage thin film transistors. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on the Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits (Cat. No.02TH8614)
- Influence of a graded channel HEMT on the performance of Class BJF-1 amplifiers for 5G applications. Conference Booklet WOCSDICE '21
- Professional activities and memberships
- Chair in Microelectronics, EEE Department, University of Sheffield (2007-)
- Research students
Student Degree Status Primary/Secondary Balakrishnapillai P PhD Graduated Primary Casterman D PhD Graduated Primary Chevaux N PhD Graduated Primary Corpus Mendoza A N PhD Graduated Primary Mathew D MPhil Graduated Primary Rasheduzzaman M PhD Graduated Primary Sicre S B F M PhD Graduated Primary Subramani N PhD Graduated Primary Baltynov T PhD Graduated Secondary Unni V PhD Graduated Secondary