A quick guide to getting started using Academia.
Although founded in the UK, Academia is now based in the US and is good for finding contacts in North America. We’ve provided a quick guide below to getting started.
There are over 9,000 profiles linked with the University of Sheffield on this site. When you have created an account take a look at the University’s institutional profile to see an overview of its use of Academia.
How to use Academia
- Go to www.academia.edu and sign up with your University Google account or, if you prefer, create an account with your personal email address.
- Answer the questions, or skip and complete or change the information later.
- Put ‘University of Sheffield’ in the university box and add the name of your department. Click ‘save’.
- Now you have registered, add some information to your biography or click on ‘edit’ to add other information.
- To upload your papers click on the ‘upload’ button. Ensure you only upload your final version of your paper and not the publisher’s (see guidelines for using Academia for more information).
- Add your research interests so that you get tailored news, job opportunities and friend suggestions.
- Explore the search box at the top of the screen to find other researchers, institutions, papers and interests.
- Regularly check the ‘analytics’ tab to see how many people are viewing your profile and articles.
Communicating and disseminating your work
Information and Digital Literacy Workshops and webinars
Doctoral Development Programme (DDP) workshops