A quick guide to getting started using Academia.
Although founded in the UK, Academia is now based in the US and is good for finding contacts in North America. We’ve provided a quick guide below to getting started.
There are over 9,000 profiles linked with the University of Sheffield on this site. When you have created an account take a look at the University’s institutional profile to see an overview of its use of Academia.
- Go to www.academia.edu and sign up with your University Google account or, if you prefer, create an account with your personal email address.
- Answer the questions, or skip and complete or change the information later.
- Put ‘University of Sheffield’ in the university box and add the name of your department. Click ‘save’.
- Now you have registered, add some information to your biography or click on ‘edit’ to add other information.
- To upload your papers click on the ‘upload’ button. Ensure you only upload your final version of your paper and not the publisher’s (see guidelines for using Academia for more information).
- Add your research interests so that you get tailored news, job opportunities and friend suggestions.
- Explore the search box at the top of the screen to find other researchers, institutions, papers and interests.
- Regularly check the ‘analytics’ tab to see how many people are viewing your profile and articles.
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200