Professor John Cullen
Professor of Management Accounting
+44 114 222 3429
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
John is Chair of the Committee of Departments of Accounting and Finance (CDAF) and is a member of the Executive Committee of the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA).
He is a member of the CIMA Research Board and a member of the CIMA Examination Oversight Board.
He has been a Guest Editor for a number of journals and is also a reviewer for a number of accounting journals (e.g. Management Accounting Research, British Accounting Review).
He has undertaken supply chain consultancy projects in a number of organisations.
- Research interests
John's research interests include supply chain management, supply chain accounting, reverse logistics, management control and corporate governance.
His research is mainly case study based and it has focused on both small and large organisations in the public and private sectors.
He has received research funding from the Department for Transport and CIMA in the areas of supply chain accounting with particular focus on reverse logistics in the UK Retail Sector and from the White Rose Health Innovation Fund to explore the role of accounting in facilitating and stimulating innovation in the NHS.
He is currently continuing his research into supply chain accounting, reverse logistics and the role of accounting and innovation.
He is also involved in work on low carbon supply chains. John has delivered presentations to both academic and practitioner conferences across Europe.
His work on embedding accounting within the management of reverse logistics is undertaken in collaboration with a colleague from Cranfield University.
- The Role of Customer Awareness in Promoting Firm Sustainability and Sustainable Supply Chain Management. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Sustainability Intervention Mechanisms for Managing Road Freight Transport Externalities: A Systematic Literature Review. Sustainability, 10(6). View this article in WRRO
- ICT adoption in road freight transport in Nigeria – A case study of the petroleum downstream sector. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 131, 240-252. View this article in WRRO
- Online retail returns management: Integration within an omni-channel distribution context. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 46(6/7), 584-605. View this article in WRRO
- An exploration of supply chain integration in the retail product returns process. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 43(7), 586-608.
- Reverse logistics in the UK retail sector: A case study of the role of management accounting in driving organisational change. Management Accounting Research.
- Um caso de mudança na contabilidade gerencial: a dinâmica política e social. Revista Contabilidade & Finanças, 23(60), 161-172.
- Privatisation and electricity sector reforms in Brazil: accounting perspective. Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies, 1(1), 53-75.
- Electricity sector reforms and the tariff review process in Brazil, 212-234.
- Role of 'green knowledge' in the environmental transformation of the supply chain: The case of Greek manufacturing. International Journal of Knowledge-Based Development, 2(1), 107-128.
- Retail reverse logistics: A call and grounding framework for research. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 41(5), 484-510.
- Introduction to management controls and new organisational forms. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 6(1), 5-8.
- Management controls and inter‐firm relationships: a review. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 6(1), 149-169.
- An integrated approach to managing reverse logistics. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 10(1), 41-56.
- Reflections on the use of case studies in the accounting, management and organizational disciplines. Qualitative Research in Organizations and Management: An International Journal, 2(3), 169-178.
- Using the Public Sector Scorecard in public health. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 20(4), 281-289.
- Changes in accounting and financial information system in a Spanish electricity company: A new institutional theory analysis. Management Accounting Research, 17(4), 409-432.
- An economic modelling approach for public sector construction workload planning. Construction Management and Economics, 24(11), 1137-1147.
- Inter-organisational cost management: Towards an evolutionary perspective. Management Accounting Research, 17(4), 342-369.
- Can there be non-union forms of workplace partnership?. Employee Relations, 27(3), 289-306.
- Exploring the teaching potential of empirically-based case studies. Accounting Education, 13(2), 251-266.
- Disembedding the supply chain: institutionalized reflexivity and inter-firm accounting. ACCOUNT ORG SOC, 29(1), 73-92.
- Quality in higher education: from monitoring to management. Quality Assurance in Education, 11(1), 5-14.
- ABC and organizational change: An institutional perspective. Management Accounting Research, 13(2), 249-271.
- Autopsy of Change: Contextualising Entrepreneurial and Accounting Potential in the NHS. Financial Accountability and Management, 16(4), 353-372.
- Enacting a European Supply Chain: A Case Study on the Role of Management Accounting. Management Accounting Research, 10(1).
- Enacting a European supply chain: A case study on the role of management accounting. Management Accounting Research, 10(3), 303-322.
- Inter-firm supply chains: The contribution of management accounting. Management Accounting.
- The consequences of inter-firm supply chains for management accounting: Towards a research agenda. Journal of Financial Information Systems.
- The story of a schizoid organization. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 9(1), 8-30.
- Mudanças na contabilidade gerencial: uma revisão. BASE - Revista de Administração e Contabilidade da Unisinos, 10(4).
- View this article in WRRO Reconfiguration and regulation of supply chains and HRM in times of economic crisis In Collings D, Wood G & Szamosi L (Ed.), Human Resource Management: A critical approach (pp. 156-170). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Inter-Organisational Accounting in Dyadic Settings" In Håkansson H, Lind J & Kraus K (Ed.), Accounting in Networks (pp. 35-59). New York: Routledge.
- Supply chains: Issues in management accounting, Food Supply Chain Management: Issues for the hospitality and retail sectors (pp. 204-223).
- Disseminating Research Through Teaching, The Real Life Guide to Accounting Research (pp. 465-478). Elsevier
Conference proceedings papers
- POLITICAL AND SOCIAL DYNAMICS OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING CHANGE IN A PRIVATISED ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION COMPANY. AMIS 2010 - PROCEEDINGS OF THE 5TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE, ACCOUNTING AND MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS (pp 500-530)
- Teaching interests
John’s main teaching interests are in the area of management accounting, management control and supply chain accounting.
He is module leader for Strategic Management Accounting on the Full-time MBA. He is also module leader of Supply Chain Accounting on the MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management Programme.
John is also module leader for the Business Focus module on the Sheffield City Region Leadership Programme.
His field for doctoral supervision is management control and issues around supply chain accounting.
In terms of teaching and learning, John is passionate about exploring the ways in which management accounting can be used to promote competitive advantage.
He is particularly focused on using accounting information across organisational boundaries to create competitive advantage and the more efficient and effective use of resources in the public sector though improved inter-agency working.
John’s teaching is informed by his extensive applied research across both the private and public sector.