Professor Michael Barkham
Clinical Psychology Unit
Department of Psychology
The University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TP, UK
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 26527
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 6610
Teaching and administrative duties
I teach on module PSY319: Clinical Psychology.
Current Postgraduate Students
- Nicholas Firth (DClin Psy): A multi-level modelling approach to investigating therapist effects and factors influencing therapy outcome with IAPT low intensity workers (joint supervisor with Dr Stephen Kellett)
- Katharine Harvey (DClin Psy): Identifying client and therapist predictors of no reliable client change in routine clinical practice
- Keeley Rolling (DClin Psy)
- Jo-Ann Pereira (PhD)
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Barkham M, Moller NP & Pybis J (2017) How should we evaluate research on counselling and the treatment of depression? A case study on how the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence's draft 2018 guideline for depression considered what counts as best evidence. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 17(4), 253-268. View this article in WRRO
- Pybis J, Saxon D, Hill A & Barkham M (2017) The comparative effectiveness and efficiency of cognitive behaviour therapy and generic counselling in the treatment of depression: evidence from the 2(nd) UK National Audit of psychological therapies. BMC Psychiatry, 17(1). View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D, Ashley K, Bishop-Edwards L, Connell J, Harrison P, Ohlsen S, Hardy GE, Kellett S, Mukuria C, Mank T , Bower P et al (2017) A pragmatic randomised controlled trial assessing the non-inferiority of counselling for depression versus cognitive-behaviour therapy for patients in primary care meeting a diagnosis of moderate or severe depression (PRaCTICED): Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.. Trials, 18(1), 93-93. View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D & Barkham M (2012) Patterns of therapist variability: therapist effects and the contribution of patient severity and risk.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 80(4), 535-546. View this article in WRRO
- Mavranezouli I, Brazier JE, Young TA & Barkham M (2011) Using rasch analysis to form plausible health states amenable to valuation: The development of CORE-6D from a measure of common mental health problems (CORE-OM). Quality of Life Research, 20(3), 321-333. View this article in WRRO
- Stiles WB, Barkham M, Mellor-Clark J & Connell J (2008) Effectiveness of cognitive-behavioural, person-centred, and psychodynamic therapies in UK primary-care routine practice: replication in a larger sample.. Psychol Med, 38(5), 677-688.
- Barkham M, Connell J, Stiles WB, Miles JNV, Margison F, Evans C & Mellor-Clark J (2006) Dose-effect relations and responsive regulation of treatment duration: the good enough level.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 74(1), 160-167.
- Lutz W, Leach C, Barkham M, Lucock M, Stiles WB, Evans C, Noble R & Iveson S (2005) Predicting change for individual psychotherapy clients on the basis of their nearest neighbors.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 73(5), 904-913.