Dr Clare Howarth
Vice-Chancellor's Advanced Fellow
Department of Psychology
(+44) 0114 2226511
Research Group: Neurovascular and Neuroimaging Research Group
MSci (Hons) Physics with a Year in Europe (Imperial College London)
PhD Neuroscience (University College London)
In my research I use a wide range of imaging techniques to investigate how the brain regulates its blood supply in order to meet the changing demands of neuronal activity. In particular, I am interested in the role of astrocytes, a supporting cell within the brain. This research helps us to understand normal brain function, enables us to correctly interpret the signals measured in human neuroimaging studies and to understand what happens in diseases where there are disruptions in the coupling between energy use and supply, for example stroke, dementia and aging.
2015-2020 Sir Henry Dale Fellow (Wellcome Trust/Royal Society)
2008 – 2012 Sir Henry Wellcome Post Doctoral Research Fellowship
(carried out at University of British Columbia and University of Oxford)
2011 – 2012 Government of Canada Post Doctoral Research Fellowship
2011 – 2012 Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Post Doctoral Research Fellowship
Activities and Distinctions
2014 Co-Editor of a Research Topic in Frontiers in Neuroscience: Brain Imaging Methods
Chair of 2012 Gordon Research Seminar: Brain Energy Metabolism and Blood Flow
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Howarth C, Sutherland B, Choi HB, Martin C, Lind B, Khennouf L, LeDue J, Pakan J, Ko R, Ellis-Davies G, Lauritzen M, Sibson N, Buchan AM & MacVicar BA (2017) A Critical Role for Astrocytes in Hypercapnic Vasodilation in Brain. Journal of Neuroscience, 37(9), 2403-2414. View this article in WRRO
- Hall CN, Howarth C, Kurth-Nelson Z & Mishra A (2016) Interpreting BOLD: towards a dialogue between cognitive and cellular neuroscience. Philosophical Transactions B, 371(1705). View this article in WRRO
- Spain A, Howarth C, Krapitchev A, Sharp T, Sibson NR & Martin C (2015) Neurovascular and neuroimaging effects of the hallucinogenic serotonin receptor agonist psilocin in the rat brain. Neuropharmacology, 99, 210-220. View this article in WRRO
- Couch Y, Martin CJ, Howarth C, Raley J, Khrapitchev AA, Stratford M, Sharp T, Sibson NR & Anthony DC (2013) Systemic inflammation alters central 5-HT function as determined by pharmacological MRI. Neuroimage, 75C, 185-194.
- Hall CN, Klein-Fluegge MC, Howarth C & Attwell D (2012) Oxidative Phosphorylation, Not Glycolysis, Powers Presynaptic and Postsynaptic Mechanisms Underlying Brain Information Processing. JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE, 32(26), 8940-8951.
- Howarth C, Peppiatt-Wildman CM & Attwell D (2010) The energy use associated with neural computation in the cerebellum. JOURNAL OF CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW AND METABOLISM, 30(2), 403-414.
- Schoelvinck ML, Howarth C & Attwell D (2008) The cortical energy needed for conscious perception. NEUROIMAGE, 40(4), 1460-1468.
- Peppiatt CM, Howarth C, Mobbs P & Attwell D (2006) Bidirectional control of CNS capillary diameter by pericytes. NATURE, 443(7112), 700-704.