Dr Hannah Fairbrother PhD MACantab PgDipHE BMedSci
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
T: 0114 2222044
I completed my PhD in Public Health at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), Sheffield in 2013 under the supervision of Professor Liddy Goyder and Professor Penny Curtis. I was appointed as a Lecturer in the School of Nursing and Midwifery in the same year.
My research focuses on the health and wellbeing of children, young people and families. I am particularly interested in socioeconomic inequalities in health - how they are experienced, generated and maintained and how policies can help to reduce inequalities. This stems from my upbringing in Sheffield, a city of contrasts in both health and wealth, visiting family in Anfield, Liverpool and through voluntary work in Cambridge with young mothers and with children in a disadvantaged area of Paris.
I have worked with the ScHARR Public Health Collaborating Centre to produce guidance for the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) regarding the efficacy of interventions to promote the social and emotional wellbeing of vulnerable children (aged 0-5).
My PhD explored how children make sense of food in their daily lives and how they understand the relationship between food and health. I worked with children and parents in socioeconomically contrasting neighbourhoods. The study highlighted the importance children attach to their families in terms of their health-related understandings and practices. It also demonstrated the myriad sources which children draw upon, engage with and critique in forming their health-related understandings, ideas and motivations and how these may differ between children from different socioeconomic backgrounds. I am interested in employing the concept of health literacy, explored very little with regards to children, to further our understanding of how children access, interact with and create meaning in relation to health messages.
Recently funded projects
|Member of Staff||Principal Investigator||Sponsor||Title||Dates|
|Fairbrother, H||Swallow, V||White Rose||Fostering and sustaining UK multidisciplinary family-focused care across the life-course: A White Rose collaboration in long-term condition management||2016|
|Fairbrother, H||Blank, L||Joseph Rowntree Foundation||Relationship between poverty and stress, low level anxiety and depression across the life course||2015-16|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H||Impact, Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (IIKE) University of Sheffield,||All About Me: making sense of health messages in a hands-on exhibition space||2015|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H||Research Exchange for the Social Sciences (RESS), University of Sheffield||All About Collaboration: co-producing impact with a community partner||2015|
I enjoy teaching and endeavour to integrate learning from and enthusiasm for my research into my teaching practice. I have taught both undergraduate and postgraduate students using face-to-face, distance and blended learning modes.
I have recently completed a Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, which has helped me to critically reflect upon my teaching and engage with contemporary understandings of teaching and learning. I am also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am currently involved in teaching related to Families in Heath and Social Care, Health Inequalities, Health Promotion, Ethics in Practice, Evidence Based Practice and I act as the year lead for BMedSci in Health and Human Sciences.
I am interested in supervising students in my research areas and would welcome students contacting me.
- Strategy Group Member Centre for the Study of Childhood and Youth http://cscy.group.shef.ac.uk/
- Convenor The Body, Health and Wellbeing Research Group http://cscy.group.shef.ac.uk/the-body-health-and-well-being/
- Member Health Equity and Inclusion Group, ScHARR http://www.healthequity.group.shef.ac.uk/
- Reviewer for the journal Childhoods Today http://cscy.group.shef.ac.uk/our-journal/
- Member Faculty of Public Health http://www.fph.org.uk/
- Member Royal Society for Public Health https://www.rsph.org.uk/
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2016) Making health information meaningful: children's health literacy practices. SSM - Population Health, 2, 476-484. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2016) Where are the Schools? Children, Families and Food Practices. Health and Place, 40, 51-57. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H (2013) What makes health public? A critical evaluation of moral, legal, and political claims in public health. Public Health, 127(2), 194-194.
- Fairbrother H (2012) Creating space: maximising the potential of the Graduate Teaching Assistant role. Teaching in Higher Education, 17(3), 353-358.
- Fairbrother H (2012) The Well-being of Children in the UK. Children & Society, 26(2), 168-169.
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2012) Children’s understanding of family financial resources and their impact on eating healthily. Health & Social Care in the Community, 20(5), 528-536.
- Fairbrother H (2011) Social Injustice and Public Health. Journal of Public Health, 33(4), 634-635.