Dr Hannah Fairbrother PhD, MA, Cantab, PgDipHE, BMedSci
Lecturer in Child and Family Health and Wellbeing
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
T: +44 (0)114 2222044
Working pattern: 0.8FTE, Working Tuesday - Friday
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9347-8625
I completed my PhD in Public Health at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), Sheffield in 2013 under the supervision of Professor Liddy Goyder and Professor Penny Curtis. I was appointed as a Lecturer in the School of Nursing and Midwifery in the same year.
I have a broad interest in the health and wellbeing of children, young people and families. I am a qualitative researcher and employ creative, participatory methods to promote the active involvement of children and families in research.
I have a longstanding interest in socioeconomic inequities in health - how they are experienced, generated and maintained and how they can be minimised through policy. This interest stems from my upbringing in Sheffield, a city of contrasts in both health and wealth, visiting family in Anfield, Liverpool and through voluntary work in Cambridge with young mothers and with children in a disadvantaged area of Paris.
I am also developing a programme of work around migrant children’s health. I recently co-led a World Universities Network, bringing together international expertise in the fields of migration, child and family studies, public health and child-centred research methodologies. The collaboration builds upon initial scoping work to understand migrant children's health experiences and outcomes in Europe.
- The health and wellbeing of children, young people and families
- Socioeconomic inequities in health
- The health experiences of children who migrate
I am interested in supervising students in my research areas and would welcome students contacting me.
The Story of a Collaborative Research Project, By Hannah Fairbrother and Rachael Hand
In this short video, Hannah and Rachael creatively illustrate the story of how they and their colleagues worked together to produce a short booklet, which visualised the process of a recently completed collaborative research project between the Centre for the Study of Childhood and Youth, University of Sheffield, and Eureka! The National Children’s Museum. The project explored how young children make sense of health messages in Eureka!’s new gallery, ‘All About Me’, which is all about the human body.
Recently funded projects
|Member of Staff||Principal Investigator||Sponsor||Title||Dates|
|Fairbrother, H||Kipping, R., Powell, K. and Fairbrother, H.||School for Public Health Research, National Institute for Health Research||Exploring the policy context for reducing health inequalities among children and young people||2019-20|
|Fairbrother, H||Summerbell, C., Wistow, J., Powell, K. and Fairbrother, H.||School for Public Health Research, National Institute for Health Research||Mapping the child health system at a local level to reduce health inequalities||2019-20|
|Fairbrother, H||Salami, B.||Worldwide Universities Network||African Child and Youth Wellbeing in the Context of Migration and Displacement||2019-20|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H||ESRC Festival of the Social Sciences||Last orders: why might young people be drinking less alcohol?||2018|
|Fairbrother, H||Thompson, J||Migration Matters Festival||Hidden Voices: The Health Experiences of Migrant Children by Abdulazez Dukan||2018|
|Fairbrother, H||Holmes, J||Wellcome Trust||Why is youth alcohol consumption failing? A mixed methods investigation of changing drinking cultures across recent generations.||2018-2022|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H & Thompson, J||Worldwide Universities Network||Hidden Voices: Exploring the health experiences of children who migrate.||2016-2017|
|Fairbrother, H||Swallow, V||White Rose||Fostering and sustaining UK multidisciplinary family-focused care across the life-course: A White Rose collaboration in long-term condition management||2016|
|Fairbrother, H||Blank, L||Joseph Rowntree Foundation||Relationship between poverty and stress, low level anxiety and depression across the life course||2015-2016|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H||Impact, Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (IIKE) University of Sheffield,||All About Me: making sense of health messages in a hands-on exhibition space||2015|
|Fairbrother, H||Fairbrother, H||Research Exchange for the Social Sciences (RESS), University of Sheffield||All About Collaboration: co-producing impact with a community partner||2015|
I enjoy teaching and endeavour to integrate learning from and enthusiasm for my research into my teaching practice. I have taught both undergraduate and postgraduate students using face-to-face, distance and blended learning modes.
I am currently involved in teaching related to Health Inequalities, Health Promotion and Education and Families in Health and Social Care. I am the deputy lead for the BMedSci in Health and Human Sciences.
I have a Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and have been awarded Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Strategy Group Member University of Sheffield Centre for the Study of Childhood and Youth (CSCY)
- Convenor The Body, Health and Wellbeing Research Group *CSCY*
- Member University of Sheffield Health Equity and Inclusion Research Group
- Member Faculty of Public Health
- Member Royal Society for Public Health
- Member University of Sheffield Migration Research Network
- Spencer G, Smith M, Thompson J, Fairbrother H, Hoare K, Fouché C & Curtis P (2019) Health experiences of children and young people who migrate – Opportunities for health education. Health Education Journal, 78(1), 96-107. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H (2018) The well-being of children in the UK, fourth edition. Children's Geographies. View this article in WRRO
- Earley V, Fairbrother H & Curtis P (2018) Displaying good fathering through the construction of physical activity as intimate practice. Families, Relationships and Societies. View this article in WRRO
- Curtis P, Thompson J & Fairbrother H (2018) Migrant children within Europe: a systematic review of children's perspectives on their health experiences. Public Health. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2016) Making health information meaningful: children's health literacy practices. SSM - Population Health, 2, 476-484. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2016) Where are the Schools? Children, Families and Food Practices. Health and Place, 40, 51-57. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H (2013) What makes health public? A critical evaluation of moral, legal, and political claims in public health JohnCoggonWhat makes health public? A critical evaluation of moral, legal, and political claims in public health2012Cambridge University PressNew York978 1 107 60241 0. Public Health, 127(2), 194.
- Fairbrother H (2012) Creating space: maximising the potential of the Graduate Teaching Assistant role. Teaching in Higher Education, 17(3), 353-358.
- Fairbrother H (2012) The Well‐being of Children in the UK. Children & Society, 26(2), 168-169.
- Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Goyder E (2012) Children’s understanding of family financial resources and their impact on eating healthily. Health & Social Care in the Community, 20(5), 528-536.
- Fairbrother H (2011) Social Injustice and Public Health. Journal of Public Health, 33(4), 634-635.
- Kirkcaldy A, Fairbrother H, Curtis P & Weiner K () Young people’s perspectives of e-cigarette use in the home. Health and Place. View this article in WRRO
- Fairbrother H & Ellis K (2016) Everyday Family Food Practices In Punch S, Vanderbeck R & Skelton T (Ed.), Families, Intergenerationality and Peer Group Relations (pp. 1-20). Singapore: Springer. View this article in WRRO
- Blank L, Baxter SK, Buckley-Woods H, Fairbrother H, Bissell P, Goyder E & Salway S (2016) Multidisciplinary systematic review of the relationships between poverty and stress, low level anxiety and depression across the life course. View this article in WRRO
- Oldham M, Holmes J, Earley V, Fairbrother H & curtis P () Youth Drinking in Decline View this article in WRRO