Applying for an undergraduate course

Management studentsAll applications for undergraduate courses should be submitted via the UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website:

UCAS website – Apply

Full instructions on how to apply are available on the UCAS website.

If you are still at school or college in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, please ask your teachers for advice on the UCAS application process.

The UCAS code for the University of Sheffield is S18 SHEFD. There is no campus code.

If you need to contact UCAS directly, you can do so by phone, email or social media:

UCAS contact details

When to apply for a degree commencing in September 2018

Applications for undergraduate degree courses starting in September 2018 must be submitted between:

  • 1 September 2017 and 15 January 2018 to be guaranteed equal consideration with other applicants
  • 16 January 2018 and 30 June 2018 for further consideration, although we may not be able to consider your application if all the places on the course you have applied for have been filled

If you are applying for entry to the MBChB Medicine or the BDS Dental Surgery, you must submit your application by 15 October 2017.

Deferred entry

If you don't want to begin your studies straight away, you can defer your entry for a year. For example, you could apply in autumn 2017 for entry in September 2019. We welcome applications for deferred entry and treat them on an equal basis to other applications. If you apply for deferred entry:

  • You'll be considered under the terms and conditions for entry in the UCAS application year in which you apply.
  • You must satisfy the conditions for entry by 31 August of the UCAS application year in which you apply. If you're applying for entry in September 2019, for example, you must have met the conditions of your offer by 31 August 2018.

Admissions requirements

Before completing your UCAS application form, please read about the University's admissions requirements:

University of Sheffield admissions requirements

Direct entry to year/level two

We're happy to consider applications for entry to the second year of an undergraduate course. You should normally have met the Sheffield course's standard A Level requirements (or equivalent). You should also show us that you've undertaken and successfully completed a programme of study equivalent to the first year of the course that you're applying for. We reserve the right to determine whether you've covered an equivalent area of study; in assessing this we may ask you to provide further information on your studies to date, including course syllabuses.

Widening participation

The University of Sheffield is committed to widening participation and increasing the number of students from under-represented groups succeeding in higher education. Our Education For All webpage includes information on the support we provide for:

  • Mature students
  • Students with a disability or learning difficulty
  • Care Leavers
  • Carers

Education for all

Disrupted Studies

If you are an undergraduate applicant and you have experienced issues of a personal, social or domestic nature that have affected your post-16 studies, you can let us know by completing our Disrupted Studies form.

Disrupted Studies

Fraudulent statements and omissions

Offers of a place are made in good faith by the University and are based on the information you provide at any point during the application process. False statements or omissions of relevant information may lead to the withdrawal of an offer or a place. Further information is available on the UCAS website when you apply.

Students studying in the USA or Canada

If you are currently studying in the USA or Canada we can accept an application from you through the Common Application. However, if you are able to apply through UCAS we would encourage you to choose this route. You can only apply through one of the Common Application or UCAS, not both.

Please note that we are not able to consider Common Applications from students studying outside the USA or Canada.