Dr Qaiser I Sheikh
School of Biosciences
Lecturer, Course Director of MSc Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
+44 114 222 4246
Full contact details
School of Biosciences
I completed my PhD in the protein and nucleic acid biochemistry lab at The University of Sheffield where my work involved studying the mechanism of DNA methylation.
My project involved exploring the structure and function relationship of bacterial cytosine specific DNA methyltransferases.
Following my PhD research I subsequently worked as postdoctoral research associate and focused my research work on cytochrome P450 C17. My further postdoctoral training established my expertise in Tap-tag protein purification system using yeast as model organism.
I have developed my skills in teaching and training molecular biology laboratory techniques. I had established a training course for the induction of overseas PhD students in the department.
My current role in the department is working as MSc Course coordinator for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology that involve running laboratory practical sessions, giving lectures and supervising their research projects.
Other undergraduate teaching commitments include lecturing in modules, demonstrating practical classes, tutorials and leading third-year students for their research projects. I have also organised short training courses and workshops in the department as well as abroad to educate, train and disseminate different techniques.
- 2015 - present: Course Coordinator – MSc. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield.
- 2013 - 2015: Visiting Academic, Department of Applied Biology and Biotechnology, College of Science, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- 2009 - 2010: Visiting Academic, Department of Biology, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
- 2008 - 2013: Postgraduate support, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield.
- 2005 - 2008: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield.
- 2002 - 2005: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Centre for Chemical Biology, Department of Chemistry, University of Sheffield.
- 1999 - 2002: Research Scientist, Transgenomic Inc. facility at the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield.
- 1996 - 2002: PhD, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield
This person does not have any publications available.
- Microbiology with Diseases by Body System. Pearson.
- Gene cloning essentials (Chapter One) in Tools and Techniques in Biomolecular Science. Oxford University Press, USA.
- Effect of some biotic factors on microbially-induced calcite precipitation in cement mortar. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 24(2), 286-294. View this article in WRRO
- Affinity filtration coupled with capillary-based affinity purification for the isolation of protein complexes.. Anal Biochem, 439(1), 47-49.
- NEW INITIATIVES FOR MANAGEMENT OF RED PALM WEEVIL THREATS TO HISTORICAL ARABIAN DATE PALMS. FLORIDA ENTOMOLOGIST, 94(4), 733-736.
- Phosphate ester analogues as probes for understanding enzyme catalysed phosphoryl transfer. FARADAY DISCUSS, 145, 281-299.
- Mechanistic study of protein phosphatase-1 (PP1), a catalytically promiscuous enzyme.. J Am Chem Soc, 130(41), 13673-13682.
- The cationic charges on Arg347, Arg358 and Arg449 of human cytochrome P450c17 (CYP17) are essential for the enzyme's cytochrome b5-dependent acyl-carbon cleavage activities.. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 92(3), 119-130.
- Use of fluorescent DNA-intercalating dyes in the analysis of DNA via ion-pair reversed-phase denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography.. Anal Biochem, 309(2), 248-252.
- Screening of heterocyclic compounds as antibacterial agents. I. Some pyrazole-4-carboxaldehyde derivatives. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 45(1), 26.
- Bending of DNA segments with Saccharomyces cerevisiae autonomously replicating sequence activity, isolated from basidiomycete mitochondrial linear plasmids.. Mol Gen Genet, 237(1-2), 1-9.
- Distribution of ABO and Rh blood groups in the residents of Bahawalpur.. J Pak Med Assoc, 37(1), 7-8.
Conference proceedings papers
- A REVIEW OF POTENTIAL CULTURE INDEPENDENT BIOLOGICAL DETECTION METHODS FOR THE WATER INDUSTRY - CHALLENGES OF MOVING BEYOND THE RESEARCH LAB. SIGNIFICANCE OF FAECAL INDICATORS IN WATER: A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE (pp 131-144)
- INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THE MONOSPECIFIC AND MULTISPECIFIC CYTOSINE-C5-SPECIFIC DNA METHYLTRANSFERASES. FEBS-CNRS Workshop on DNA and RNA modification enzymes. Aussois, France, 11 September 2007 - 16 September 2007.
- Teaching activities
- Course Coordinator: MSc. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology; MBB6011 Laboratory Techniques In Molecular Bioscience
- Admission coordinator for overseas postgraduate (MSc / PhD) students. Carry out initial screening of potential international applicants by interviewing via Skype.
- Six Week Summer Training course "Basic Laboratory Skills in Molecular Bioscience" (for visiting international students) (MBBU37)
- MBB265 Round Robin Tutorials
- MBB165 Tutorial meetings
- MBB6011 Laboratory Techniques in Molecular Bioscience
- MBB6403 Research Project
- MBB6502 Literature Review