Chinese Song Contest
Chinese Song UK is a Chinese singing competition for non-Chinese speakers. Aiming at promoting cultural exchange between UK and China, it was initiated by the Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Manchester, organised jointly by UK Chinese Young Entrepreneur Association, Confucius Institutes and CSSAs in the north of England.
Since its launch in 2015, this annual event has attracted more than 100 contestants from England, of which many contestants started to learn Chinese since they attended this competition. Meanwhile, contestants who had been studying Chinese learned more about the Chinese culture, got more chances to perform both in UK and China.
Music has no borders. That’s why Chinese Song UK could make cultural exchange more natural, make language learning more interesting. During the past two years, Confucius Institutes encouraged Mandarin enthusiasts to participate in this competition to build up their confidence, Mandarin teachers have taken singing in Chinese as a creative teaching method, Singers started to learn Mandarin because of this contest.
Conditions for participation:
- All participants must be over 16 years old
- All participants’ first language must not be Chinese
- Participants can only sing in Chinese Mandarin
- All of the performance should have at least 90% of Mandarin
- At least 2 songs are required, the songs for audition and final competition could be the same ones.
- Please inform the organisers if contestants are going to bring their own dancers or bands to perform.
If you would like to enter 2018's Chinese Song Contest, make sure you meet the requirements above and contact us at the Sheffied Confucius Institute to let us know your interest.