Mandarin for ages 3.5–18 | 语言和文化学校青少年部 / 星星中文学校
The Star Mandarin School provides Mandarin Chinese language (simplified characters), Maths and Arts courses to young people, aged 3.5-18, over the weekends.
Due to Covid-19, all 73 classes have been moved online. Private tuition, Festival Celebrations, Talents Show and End-of-the-Year Celebrations are all moved online.
- All levels and language backgrounds welcome! Children are grouped according to their level of Chinese language.
- Beginners Mandarin Courses open in September every year.
- If the child has studied Chinese before, we will assess his/her level before allocating him/her into an existing class.
Two streams of Mandarin courses are offered to English speakers, and one for Chinese heritage speakers:
- Mandarin Course Structure for English-speaking children (enrolled at 5 -7 years old) - PDF, 254 KB, 说英语的孩子
- Mandarin Course Structure for English-speaking children (enrolled at 8 years old and above) - PDF, 254 KB, 说英语的孩子
- Mandarin Course Structure for Chinese heritage-speakers - PDF, 258 KB 华裔儿童.
Current School Calendar - PDF, 569 KB. 19 Sept 2020 - 17 July 2021.
Fee rate: £2.50/h
£160/year (contains 10% discount), for courses at 2h/w
- Foundation Chinese, aged 3.5-5 (New)
- Beginners Mandarin, English-speakers (New)
- Youer Hanyu, Chinese-speakers (New)
- Any other Mandarin Courses
- Math (Y7-Y11) for secondary children
£120/year (contains 10% discount), for courses at 1.5h/w
- Arts/Drawing, aged 5-8 - Arts/Sketch, aged >8
- Math (Y1-Y6) for primary children
Registration and Fee Payments, via the University Online Store. Search for 'Star Mandarin'.
Venue (for face-to-face)
Bartolome House, School of Law, the University of Sheffield, Winter Street, Sheffield S3 7ND.
Open to secondary school children, who have already achieved the level of GCSE.
The Class is to go over the exam syllabus, polish the exam skills and aims to achieve better exam results. The individual child must have already at the GCSE level.
The GCSE class cannot replace the systematic Mandarin study. The children are strongly advised to continue taking the study of "Zhong Wen", "Jin Bu", or "Happy Chinese", alongside the GCSE class.
Please note: We are not Edexcel or AQA test centre, therefore will not be able to enrol a child for GCSE Chinese exam. Our students go back to their English mainstream schools for the exam registration.
Open to secondary school children, who have already achieved the level of GCE.
The Class is to go over the exam syllabus, polish the exam skills and aims to achieve a higher exam results. The individual child must have already at the GCE level.
Please note: We are not Edexcel or AQA test centre, therefore will not be able to enroll you for A-Level Chinese exam. Our students go back to their English mainstream schools for the exam registration.
Open to children at primary school or secondary school, and designed to meet personal learning objectives, private Mandarin, Maths, English and Science tuition, based on 1-1 or 1-2, is offered all year round. Prior to the first session, a meeting is required to assess the prior knowledge and develop a learning programme. This meeting can take up to one hour and is free of charge.
The fee rate is £21 per hourly session. Fees must be paid for a minimum 10-hourly-block.
Currently, all private tuition takes place online.
Contact Dr. Hu for more information at 07593502130 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Star Mandarin School has been awarded with Quality Framework, Bronze Award, Silver Award, Gold Award and Distinction Award, over the years, endorsed by National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education, NRCSE.
For more information, contact Dr. Hu:
Telephone: +44 114 222 8447 / +44 784 626 2870
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.