Star School for ages 3.5–18 | 语言和文化学校青少年部 / 孔子学院星星学校
The Confucius Institute Star School (CISS) provides Mandarin Chinese language (simplified characters), Maths and Arts courses to school-age children (Mandarin also to age 3.5-5), over the weekends. Special courses: GCSE Chinese and A-Level Chinese preparation classes, and private tuition.
From September 2021, we will continue online teaching and learning, for weekend classes, private tuition, and any other cultural activities.
- All levels and language backgrounds welcome!
- Children are grouped according to their level of Chinese language or Year of Maths.
- Beginners Mandarin Courses open in September every year.
- If the child has studied Chinese before, we will assess his/her level before allocating him/her into an existing class.
Two streams of Mandarin courses are offered, to English-speakers and to Chinese heritage-speakers, respectively.
Star School Calendar - PDF, 248 KB. 18 Sept 2021 - 23 July 2022.
Fee rate: £2.50/h
Courses at 2h/w
- Beginners Mandarin, English-speakers (New)
- Youer Hanyu, Chinese-speakers (New)
- Any other Mandarin Courses, i.e. existing classes
- Maths (Y7-Y11, Y12-Y13) for secondary children and Six-Form
Courses at 1.5h/w
- Foundation Chinese, aged 3.5-5 (New)
- Arts/Drawing, aged 5-7
- Arts/Sketch, aged >8
- Maths (Y1-Y6) for primary children
Fees/Registration is via Online Shop at the University of Sheffield for a school year.
If your child is joining in halfway through, please contact us about places and fees.
How to use the online shop and get Registration Forms?
- Book the Event, the cost is ZERO.
- Select all courses for one child ONLY. Add to Basket.
- Click on Add Attendee for the second child. Select all courses for this child ONLY.
- Click on Add Attendee for the third child. Select all courses for this child ONLY.
- Repeat (3) and (4) for more child.
- Proceed to Checkout.
- You will get exact number of Registration Forms, i.e. one Questionnaire for one child.
Please note: Only English can be recognised when filling in Questionnaires (no Chinese characters).
For any one class, we need at least six enrolments to open the class.
Venue's teaching (for face-to-face) will be at Bartolome House, School of Law, the University of Sheffield, Winter Street, Sheffield S3 7ND.
Open to secondary school children, who have already achieved at least the foundation level of GCSE Chinese.
The Class is to go over the exam syllabus, polish the exam skills and aims to achieve better exam results.
The GCSE class is not aimed to replace the systematic Mandarin study. The children are strongly advised to continue taking the study of "Zhongwen", "Jin Bu", "GCSE Chinese 9-1" or "Happy Chinese", alongside with this GCSE class.
Please note: We are not Edexcel or AQA test centre, therefore will not be able to enrol a child for GCSE Chinese exam. Our students go back to their English mainstream schools for the exam registration.
Open to secondary school children and above, who have normally passed GCSE Chinese and already achieved the foundation level of GCE.
The Class is to go over the exam syllabus, polish the exam skills and aims to achieve a higher exam results.
Please note: We are not Edexcel or AQA test centre, therefore will not be able to enrol you for A-Level Chinese exam. Our students go back to their English mainstream schools for the exam registration.
Open to children at primary school or secondary school, and designed to meet personal learning objectives, private Mandarin, Maths and English tuition, is offered all year round. Prior to the first session, a meeting is required to assess the prior knowledge and develop a learning programme. This meeting can take up to one hour and is free of charge.
Fees paid for a minimum 10-hourly-sessions, is at £210 (Fee rate is £21/h).
Fees paid for 33-hourly-sessions, is at £630 (Fee rate is £19.10/h)
Fees payment is via the University Online Shop.
Currently, all private tuition takes place online.
Contact Dr. Hu for more information at 07593502130 or email: email@example.com
The Star Mandarin School has been awarded with Quality Framework, Bronze Award, Silver Award, Gold Award and Distinction Award, over the years, endorsed by National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education, NRCSE.
For more information, contact Dr. Xinqun Hu:
Telephone: +44 114 222 8447 / +44 7593502130
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.