HSK/HSKK proficiency tests (all ages) | 汉语水平考试 / 汉语水平口语考试
HSK and HSKK (HSK Speaking) are open to all ages. Two independent parts: written test and oral test, can be taken separately, and at any levels.
The HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) is an international standardised Chinese language test to measure the ability of non-native Chinese speakers to communicate in Chinese in daily lives, academic and working settings.
HSK Preparation Classes are held on Wednesday evenings during the University semester dates, and are free to attend if you have registered the test with us.
Saturday 12 December 2020, home-edition HSK and HSKK tests
HSK1, HSK3 and HSK 5, at 13:30 (entry/login as early as 12:30).
HSK2, HSK4 and HSK 6, at 09:00 (entry/login as early as 08:00).
Registration and Fee Payments, via the University Online Store. Search for 'HSK'. Please check test requirements before you make a registration.
Deadline to register: 27 November 2020
Test takers’ eligibility and test requirements:
- Must reside in the UK when taking the test (cross countries registration is prohibited).
- Access to a computer (Windows (7/10) operating system), with screen resolution set at 1440 x 900 and above.
- Webcam built in or an independent webcam, at minimum pixels 0.3 million.
- Headphone is clear and with good noise insulation.
- Download and install the client software of the Online Chinese Test (Home Edition), at https://test.chinesetest.cn:36165/client.html Internet speed must be > 150KB/s
- Be able to take the test at a quiet room with good lighting, no disturbance.
- Download Google Meet onto mobile phone, which will be used for remote invigilation.
- Send a recent (within six months) id or passport-sized photo* to firstname.lastname@example.org
*No hat, scarf, headband or sunglasses are allowed except for special religious reasons. Photos are used for log in and face-recognition during the test (keeping shoulder and above in the centre of the webcam). It is test takers’ responsibility if the test failed due to the recognitions.
Once registered and fees paid:
- Your Test Admission Card detailing your exam time will be generated for you after the registration deadline passed.
- Please check your personal information, including name, nationality, gender, ID type and number etc, together with test level, test date and beginning time, test centre and test instructions on your admission ticket.
- You need to let us know any amendments asap.
Cancellations and refunds
- If you need to cancel your registration, please contact the Confucius Institute at the University of Sheffield as soon as possible (+44 784 6262 870 or email@example.com).
- If you cancel your registration before the registration deadline, you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel your registration after the registration deadline, no refund will be given.
On the test day, you can log in one hour before the test time, and ensure that
- you place your mobile phone at 45 degrees behind left-hand side or right-hand side, so that we can see your computer screen, desk and yourself
- your mobile phone is on Aeroplane Mode, and is connected to power socket
- no pen and paper is on the desk, no any other devices on the desk
- remember that we will check the test room and your id
After the test and test result
- HSK test results will be announced 10 days after the test, HSKK test results will be announced 25 days after the test. Test taker can inquire the test result on the test website (www.chinesetest.cn) with their admission ticket number and their name.
- Paper-based Score Report can be applied through “extra score report” service online by test takers themselves in their personal information centre.
Register for HSK and make test fee payment at Onlineshop.shef.ac.uk - search for "HSK".
Register for HSKK and make test fee payment at Onlineshop.shef.ac.uk - search for "HSKK".
Examination fee for HSK (written test):
- HSK1: £10
- HSK2: £20
- HSK3: £30
- HSK4: £40
- HSK5: £50
- HSK6: £60
Examination fee for HSKK (oral test):
- HSKK Basic: £15
- HSKK Intermediate: £25
- HSKK Advance: £35
The New HSK comprises six levels from HSK-Level 1 to HSK-Level 6:
- HSK-Level 1: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 1 can understand and use simple words and sentences to fulfill specific communication needs and have a foundation for the further study of Chinese.
- HSK-Level 2: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 2 can communicate simply and directly on daily topics they are familiar with. Level 2 have reached the advanced stage of beginner level.
- HSK-Level 3: Test takes who reach HSK-Level 3 can complete basic communication tasks in daily life, study and work. If travelling in China, Level 3 can handle most communication tasks they encounter.
- HSK-Level 4: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 4 can discuss a relatively wide range of topics in Chinese and are able to communcate with native speaker.
- HSK-Level 5: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 5 can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, appreciate Chinese films and television, and are able to write and deliver a full speech.
- HSK-Level 6: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 6 can easily understand what they read and listen, and express themselves fluently in written and oral Chinese.
HSK test information
The table shows the level of vocabulary expected, test duration and score:
|Vocabulary (words)||Test duration (minutes)||Total score||Passing score|
|HSK Level 1||150||40||200||120|
|HSK Level 2||300||55||200||120|
|HSK Level 3||600||90||300||180|
|HSK Level 4||1200||105||300||180|
|HSK Level 5||2500||125||300||180|
|HSK Level 6||5000||140||300||180|
HSKK can be divided into three levels of HSKK (Basic), HSKK (Intermediate and HSKK (Advanced). Test takers on-site performance will be recorded.
HSKK 包括 HSKK (初级), HSKK (中级) and HSKK (高级), 考试采用录音形式。
HSKK test information
The table shows general correlations between HSK and HSKK, and test duration:
|General correlations to HSK||Test duration (minutes)||Total score||Passing score|
|HSKK Basic||HSK Level 1 and Level 2||20||100||60|
|HSKK Intermediate||HSK Level 3 and Level 4||23||100||60|
|HSKK Advanced||HSK Level 5 and Level 6||25||100||60|
More sample papers, transcripts, audio recordings and additional material are available to borrow at the Confucius Institute Resource Centre, which is hosted within the CI Office.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.