HSK/HSKK proficiency tests (all ages) | 汉语水平考试 / 汉语水平口语考试
HSK and HSKK (HSK Speaking) are open to all ages. Two independent parts: written test and oral test, can be taken separately and at any levels. Both paper-based and internet-based tests require test-takers to be present at our Centre. Home-edition tests have remote monitoring from our test centre.
The HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) is an international standardised Chinese language test to measure the ability of non-native Chinese speakers to communicate in Chinese in daily lives, academic and working settings.
HSK Preparation Classes are held on Wednesday evenings during the University semester dates, and are free to attend if you have registered the test with us.
We had held Home-Edition HSK and HSKK tests in March (13 March), April (24 April) and June (5 June).
The next round of HSK/HSKK tests will be scheduled in December 2021.
Register: make test fee payment at Onlineshop.shef.ac.uk when the Test is open.
Examination fee for HSK (written test):
- HSK1: £10
- HSK2: £20
- HSK3: £30
- HSK4: £40
- HSK5: £50
- HSK6: £60
Examination fee for HSKK (oral test):
- HSKK Basic: £15
- HSKK Intermediate: £25
- HSKK Advance: £35
The New HSK comprises six levels from HSK-Level 1 to HSK-Level 6:
- HSK-Level 1: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 1 can understand and use simple words and sentences to fulfill specific communication needs and have a foundation for the further study of Chinese.
- HSK-Level 2: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 2 can communicate simply and directly on daily topics they are familiar with. Level 2 have reached the advanced stage of beginner level.
- HSK-Level 3: Test takes who reach HSK-Level 3 can complete basic communication tasks in daily life, study and work. If travelling in China, Level 3 can handle most communication tasks they encounter.
- HSK-Level 4: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 4 can discuss a relatively wide range of topics in Chinese and are able to communcate with native speaker.
- HSK-Level 5: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 5 can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, appreciate Chinese films and television, and are able to write and deliver a full speech.
- HSK-Level 6: Test takers who reach HSK-Level 6 can easily understand what they read and listen, and express themselves fluently in written and oral Chinese.
HSK test information
The table shows the level of vocabulary expected, test duration and score:
|Vocabulary (words)||Test duration (minutes)||Total score||Passing score|
|HSK Level 1||150||40||200||120|
|HSK Level 2||300||55||200||120|
|HSK Level 3||600||90||300||180|
|HSK Level 4||1200||105||300||180|
|HSK Level 5||2500||125||300||180|
|HSK Level 6||5000||140||300||180|
HSKK can be divided into three levels of HSKK (Basic), HSKK (Intermediate and HSKK (Advanced). Test takers on-site performance will be recorded.
HSKK 包括 HSKK (初级), HSKK (中级) and HSKK (高级), 考试采用录音形式。
HSKK test information
The table shows general correlations between HSK and HSKK, and test duration:
|General correlations to HSK||Test duration (minutes)||Total score||Passing score|
|HSKK Basic||HSK Level 1 and Level 2||20||100||60|
|HSKK Intermediate||HSK Level 3 and Level 4||23||100||60|
|HSKK Advanced||HSK Level 5 and Level 6||25||100||60|
More sample papers, transcripts, audio recordings and additional material are available to borrow at the Confucius Institute Resource Centre, which is hosted within the CI Office.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.