Scholarships - study in China | 奖学金 - 留学中国
Formally known as the Confucius Institute Scholarship, now changed to International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship, are open from 1st March each year. There are seven types of scholarships, from 4wks long, one semester, one year to BA, MA and PhD degree studies.
We highly recommend studies at our partner universities in China- Nanjing University (NJU) and Beijing Languages and Culture University (BLCU), though there are hundreds of host universities in China to choose from.
If you are a learner at our Confucius Institute, or taking non-specialist Chinese module at the University of Sheffield, with 150 vocabulary (passing HSK Level 1), you can apply for a four week scholarship, studying in China over summer, subject that we have at least ten successful applicants.
We can only provide recommendations to learners at our Confucius Institute.
Please note that HSK and HSKK test reports are valid for two years for the purpose of applying for the Scholarship.
Confucius Institute Scholarship, now International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship- All the details can be found at http://www.chinese.cn/page/#/pcpage/project_detail
All applicants shall be:
All applicants shall be:
a) non-Chinese citizens;
b) in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
c) committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
d) between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st, 2021). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25.
Find out more: Application Guide for Confucius Institute Scholarship 2020
1. Scholarship for Doctor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (DTCSOL).
2. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL).
3. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL).
4. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year study
- commences in September 2022
- maximum of 11 months
International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
4.1 TCSOL, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages
- >270 on HSK3 and an HSKK test
4.2 Major in Chinese languages and literature, Chinese history and Chinese philosophy
- >180 on HSK4 and >60 on HSKK Intermediate
4.3 Chinese language study
- >210 on HSK3. Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score
5. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
- commences either in September 2021 or March 2022
- maximum of 5 months
Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
5.1. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
- >180 on HSK3 and an HSKK test score
5.2. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
- An HSK test score. Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score
6. Scholarship for Four-Week study
- Commences in either July 2022 or December 2022
- Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
- An HSK test score is required.
Chinese Study, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Taiji Culture, Chinese Language plus Home-Stay Experience in a Chinese Family, Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes.
The program may be organized and applied for by a recommending institution with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with host institutions and such plan shall be submitted to CLEC for approval.
7. Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institution
- a passport-sized photo of applicant
- valid passport and photo page
- score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity)
- a reference letter by the recommending institutions
- a certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript*
- applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer
- applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China
- applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the host institutions.
*Applicants of the Scholarship for DTCSOL students are required to provide two reference letters from professors or associate professors or experts with equivalent professional and technical titles in relevant fields and a 3000-word personal statement in Chinese (including knowledge of the intended field of study and research proposal).
Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL students are required to provide two reference letters from professors or associate professors. Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution or relevant proof upon completing their studies in China.
Documents must be uploaded in either jpg or pdf file types.
Online registration and application at cis.chinese.cn on 1 March, 2022
- search for recommending institution- 英国谢菲尔德大学孔子学院
- select the type of scholarship to apply
- fill in the form online
- write the self statement in Chinese, with help from our Confucius Institute if needed
- select/search host institutions
3. Upload application materials online
- application checked by our Sheffield CI and then submit
- track the application progress, comments and result
- Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out Scholarship Certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per Letter of Admission.
6. It is your responsibility to apply for visa and purchasing flight tickets. We can hold a pre-departure briefing.
Application Deadlines (Beijing time)
|Scholarships||Deadline for Applicants||Deadline for Sheffield CI|
|Commencing in July||15th April||25th April|
|Commencing in September||15th May||25th May|
|Commencing in December||15th September||25th September|
|Commencing in March 2022||15th November||25th November|
Decisions will be made based on HSK and HSKK scores and levels, and in consideration of country distribution as well as other factors.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.