Scholarships - study in China | 奖学金 - 留学中国
We highly recommend the Confucius Institute Scholarship at Nanjing University and Beijing Languages and Culture University.
Please note, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, scholarships are currently on hold, and future opportunities organised by the Sheffield Confucius Institute are yet to be confirmed.
The Confucius Institute is run in partnership with two top institutions for higher learning in China, Nanjing University (NJU), and Beijing Languages and Culture University (BLCU).
These universities provide excellent short and long Chinese language, culture and teacher training courses throughout the year as well as full undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
If you are a learner at our institute, or taking non-specialist Chinese module at SEAS with 150 vocabulary (passing HSK Level 1), you can apply for a four week scholarships, studying in China over winter.
We can only provide recommendations for learners at our Institute and at SEAS. Please note that HSK and HSKK test reports are valid for two years for the purpose of applying for the Confucius Institute Scholarship (CIS).
Confucius Institute Scholarship, CIS 2020
All applicants must be:
a) non-Chinese citizens
b) in good physical and mental condition, and with good academic performance and conduct
c) committed to the Chinese language education and related work
d) between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of 1 September, 2020). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers must be under 46, while undergraduate student applicants must be under 26.
Find out more: Application Guide for Confucius Institute Scholarship 2020
There are seven types of scholarships and qualifications:
1. Scholarship for Doctor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (DTCSOL).
2. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL).
3. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL).
4. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year study
- commences in September 2020
- maximum of 11 months
International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
4.1 TCSOL, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages
- >270 on HSK3 and an HSKK test
4.2 Major in Chinese languages and literature, Chinese history and Chinese philosophy
- >180 on HSK4 and 60 on HSKK Intermediate
4.3 Chinese language study
- >210 on HSK3. Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score
5. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
- commences either in September 2020 or March 2021
- maximum of 5 months
Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
5.1. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
- >180 on HSK3 and an HSKK test score
5.2. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
- An HSK test score. Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score
6.Scholarship for Four-Week study
- commences in July 2020 or December 2020
- a four-week scholarship
Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
6.1. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
6.2. Chinese Language plus Home-Stay Experience in a Chinese Family
6.3. Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
- an HSK test score is required
The program is organised and applied for by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with host institutions and such plan shall be submitted to Hanban for approval.
7. Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institution
- a passport-sized photo of applicant
- valid passport and photo page
- score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity)
- a reference letter by the recommending institutions
- a certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript*
- applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer
- applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China
- applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the host institutions.
*Applicants of the Scholarship for DTCSOL students are required to provide two reference letters from professors or associate professors or experts with equivalent professional and technical titles in relevant fields and a 3000-word personal statement in Chinese (including knowledge of the intended field of study and research proposal).
Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL students are required to provide two reference letters from professors or associate professors. Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution or relevant proof upon completing their studies in China.
For CIS applications documents must be uploaded in either jpg or pdf file types.
Online registration and application at cis.chinese.cn on 1 March, 2021
- search for recommending institution- 英国谢菲尔德大学孔子学院
- select the type of CIS to apply
- fill in the form online
- write the self statement in Chinese, with help from the Sheffield CI if needed
- select/search host institutions
3. Upload application materials online
- application checked by our Sheffield CI and then submit
- track the application progress, comments and result
- Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out CIS certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
6. At the CI we will hold a pre-departure briefing
Application deadlines (Beijing time)
|CIS||Deadline for Applicants||Deadline for Sheffield CI||Deadline for Host Institutes in China|
|Commencing in December||8 September||10 September||20 September|
|Commencing in March 2021||8 November||10 November||20 November|
Decisions will be made based on HSK and HSKK scores and levels, and in consideration of country distribution as well as other factors. The results will be published three months before the term starts.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.