Beginner Mandarin for Children, February 2023 | 非华裔儿童初级中文
Exciting opportunities for English-speakers (non-Chinese speakers)- we are Launching new Beginners Classes for English Speakers after the school half-term holiday in February 2023. Please ensure your child to take a FREE taster session.
We are Star Mandarin School, a Sheffield's premier weekend Chinese Learning Centre for children.
We are part of the University of Sheffield and hold classes in the beautiful, listed building of Bartolome House on University campus every Saturday.
Opening over the weekends and following school term times, the Star Mandarin School provides Mandarin Chinese learning subject to school children, in addition to Mathematics and Arts tuition, consolidating their school learning and reinforcing their study skills.
Why do we need to learn Mandarin Chinese?
- Mandarin Chinese language is profoundly rooted in a rich history and culture. It is the only language that remains with logographic scripts, i.e. its written Chinese characters represent symbolic meanings. Words and phrases can be built up easily with logic. Sentences can be constructed following strict orders. Learning Chinese is not as hard as you think!
- Language is a window to another world and has become an essential part of global citizenship education. Every child should learn a language to broaden their horizon.
- Mandarin is listed as one of the seven languages to learn at school. Learning a foreign language has been compulsory for Key Stage 2 children since 2014, whilst all secondary school children should learn a foreign language.
- While most of the schools do not have a capacity providing Mandarin Chinese learning, the Star Mandarin School at the University of Sheffield readily provides the learning opportunities, from beginners level through to GCSE Chinese and A-Level Chinese, to all school students, adding a unique language subject for school education.
- Give it a go and you may enjoy yourself all the way through!
Beginner Classes for English-speakers, from 25 February 2023
- Saturdays 09:00-11:00, for ages - 6 - 9 years
- Saturdays 11:15-13:15, for ages - 10+
Bartolomé House, School of Law, University of Sheffield, Winter St, Sheffield S3 7ND
Fees are paid for the school year ending in July 2023, total 19 sessions, at £126. (One session free)
Fee rate is £3.50/h, subsidised by the University of Sheffield.
Registration is at a direct link Online Shop at the University of Sheffield (Beginner Mandarin for Children). If you are at onlineshop.shef.ac.uk, search for "Beginner Mandarin for Children".
Download a flyer- Mandarin Chinese for Children- PDF- 283k
FREE Mandarin Chinese Demo Class
We're excited to invite you to our showcase of our talented teachers. Free demo class with a qualified teacher of Mandarin Chinese!
Every Saturday in January (7th, 14th, 21st, 28th) and the first week of February (4th), we'll be holding free children's Mandarin Chinese Demo Class. Your child only need to attend one of such taster sessions.
Dates for Ages - 6 - 9 years, Saturday, 7 January, 21 January, 4 February 2023
Time: 3:30pm - 4:00pm
Dates for Ages - 10+, Saturday, 14 January, 28 January 2023
Time: 3:30pm - 4:00pm
Venue: Bartolomé House, School of Law, University of Sheffield, Winter St, Sheffield S3 7ND
Download a flyer- Mandarin Chinese Demo Class for Children- PDF- 301k
Mobile: 07593502130, Dr. Xinqun Hu
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.