How to write your research proposal
Your research proposal is an essential component of your application, regardless of whether you are self-funded or seeking a studentship. Please adhere to the provided guidelines to ensure its proper preparation.
Why is your research proposal essential and what purpose does it serve?
- The research proposal serves to determine your expertise to back your chosen research field, in terms of knowledge of the existing literature, and the mastering of theories, data and methodology suitable to develop your research project.
- It plays a significant role in evaluating your overall application.
- It is crucial to understand that the submitted research proposal is merely a starting point, as your ideas and proposed research are likely to evolve over time.
- Regarding its length, your research proposal should be within the range of 2,000 to 3,500 words (approximately 4 to 7 pages).
- Make sure to discuss your research proposal with an academic in our department before formally applying through the online system.
Template for your research proposal.
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.