Professor Mich Tvede
Department of Economics
Professor of Economics
+44 114 222 3324
Full contact details
Department of Economics
407 Economics, 9 Mapping Street
9 Mappin Street
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2023. Before I have been at the University of East Anglia, Newcastle University, University of Copenhagen and Copenhagen Business School. My research interests lie within economic theory: economic dynamics, general equilibrium with production and market failures, and, networks.
- Research interests
My research is within economic theory: economic dynamics; general equilibrium; and, networks.
For economic dynamics my interests has been dynamics properties of equilibria of economic models. Recently, I have studied the effects of monetary policy and optimal fiscal policy.
In general equilibrium I have studied models with production and financial markets. One focus has been on the interaction of individual decisions made by consumers and collective decisions made in firms by shareholders or stakeholders in the presence of market failures such as externalities, incomplete financial markets and imperfect competition. In the presence of market failures it is typically not in the interest of the decision makers in firms to maximize profits. The issue is whether voting among decision makers in firms mitigate the effects of the market failures.
For networks my interest has been on network formation and cost sharing. On the one hand, agents are interested in having an useful network, and, on the other hand, agents wants to minimize costs. There is a tension between networks being useful and being cheap. I have explored whether it is possible to overcome the tension.
- Democracy, the Market, and the Firm. Oxford University Press.
- Overlapping Generations Economies. Red Globe Press.
- Corporate self-regulation of imperfect competition. Economic Theory.
- Trouble comes in threes: Core stability in minimum cost connection networks. European Journal of Operational Research, 297(1), 319-324.
- The impact of trade with pure exporters. Review of International Economics, 30(1), 83-112.
- Aggregation of opinions in networks of individuals and collectives. Journal of Economic Theory, 199.
- Debt constraints and monetary policy. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 87, 31-42.
- Regulation of trades based on differences in beliefs. European Economic Review, 101, 133-141.
- Sharing the proceeds from a hierarchical venture. Games and Economic Behavior, 102, 98-110.
- Incomplete financial markets and jumps in asset prices. Economic Theory, 62(1-2), 201-219.
- Minimum cost connection networks: Truth-telling and implementation. Journal of Economic Theory, 157, 76-99.
- Revealed smooth nontransitive preferences. Economic Theory, 54(3), 463-484.
- Production externalities: internalization by voting. Economic Theory, 53(2), 403-424.
- Truth-telling and Nash equilibria in minimum cost spanning tree models. European Journal of Operational Research, 222(3), 566-570.
- -person non-convex bargaining: Efficient proportional solutions. Operations Research Letters, 38(6), 536-538.
- Selling digital music: business models for public goods. NETNOMICS: Economic Research and Electronic Networking, 11(1), 85-102.
- General equilibrium without utility functions: how far to go?. Economic Theory, 45(1-2), 201-225.
- Individual preference rankings compatible with prices, income distributions and total resources. Economic Theory, 45(3), 497-513.
- The geometry of finite equilibrium datasets. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 45(5-6), 391-396.
- Production in incomplete markets: Expectations matter for political stability. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 45(3-4), 212-222.
- Voting in assemblies of shareholders and incomplete markets. Economic Theory, 26(4), 887-906.
- Dynamics in OG Economies. Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, 10(5), 463-472.
- A model of sex-based social stability. Complexity, 9(6), 52-56.
- Nonconvex n -person bargaining: efficient maxmin solutions. Economic Theory, 21(1), 81-95.
- Benchmark selection: An axiomatic approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 137(1), 218-228.
- The existence of maximal elements: generalized lexicographic relations. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 36(2), 111-115.
- Strong optimality in OG economies: convergence. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 35(3), 419-425.
- Ordering Pareto-optima through majority voting. Mathematical Social Sciences, 41(3), 295-325.
- Optimal Policy in OG Models. Journal of Economic Theory, 90(1), 62-83.
- Multiplicity of Equilibria. Journal of Economic Theory, 75(1), 1-15.
- Externalities, Internalization and Fluctuations. International Economic Review, 38(2), 465-465.
- Endowments, stability, and fluctuations in OG models. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 19(3), 621-653.
- No-trade and uniqueness of steady states. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 19(3), 655-661.
- On dynamics and the core of OG models. Economics Letters, 48(3-4), 313-317.
- Fluctuations in Overlapping Generations Economies. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, 9(1).
- Revenue Sharing in European Football Leagues: A Theoretical Analysis, Trends in Mathematical Economics (pp. 245-262). Springer International Publishing