Dr Chris Martin BA, PhD, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Neuroscience and Psychobiology
ORICID ID: 0000-0002-8186-784X
Research Group: Neurovascular and Neuroimaging Research Group
BA (Hons) Psychology (University of Sheffield), PhD Neuroscience (University of Sheffield), PgCert Higher Education (University of Sheffield).
- MSc Systems Neuroscience Course Director
- Director of Postgraduate Research Studies
- Equality and Diversity Committee Member
- Research Committee Member
- Psychology Management Group Member
The main focus of my research is on the meaning of functional brain imaging signals: what do they tell us about brain activity and how might we best use this information to improve our understanding of normal brain function and neurological diseases? I use a range of in-vivo techniques in order to uncover the neurophysiological basis of neuroimaging signals and the mechanisms of neurovascular coupling that underlie them. I am also interested in science communication, in particular the communication of brain imaging research findings beyond academic audiences and the impact of this upon public understanding of neuroscience.
Current projects in my lab are focusing on:
- The roles of the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin and acetylcholine in modulating neuroimaging signals and neurovascular coupling.
- The neuronal and neurovascular effects of transcranial direct current stimulation.
- The impact of system inflammation on neurovascular coupling.
2015-2019 The University of Sheffield Interdisciplinary PhD Network Award. "Neuroimaging in Cardiovascular Disease (NICAD) Network". C Martin (PI), Department of Psychology / Department of Cardiovascular Science / Sheffield Institute for Translational Neuroscience.
2015-2018 Medical Research Council Research Grant. "Investigating the thermoregulatory role of neurovascular coupling and the anti-epileptogenic and neuroprotective effects of focal cerebral cooling". Berwick J (PI), Harris S, Martin C, Redgrave P, Boorman L, Kennerley A. £558K (FEC), 36 Months.
2014-2017 Royal Society University Research Fellowship (Renewal) "Dopamine, Brain Imaging Signals, and Neurovascular Coupling." £341K, 36 Months.
2013 British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Small Research Grant “Improving cross-disciplinary research and practice in health psychology: What can neuroscience do for the design of behaviour change interventions to improve health? A systematic review." J Martin (PI) & C Martin, £9899, 12 Months.
2011-2015 Wellcome Trust Research Grant. “Neuropharmacological modulation of functional brain imaging signals in awake and anaesthetized rats”. Chris Martin (PI), £257K, 36 Months.
2011-2016 MRC & BBSRC. “The neurophysiological basis of negative BOLD signals”. Berwick J (PI), Jones M, Kennerley A, Boorman L, Martin C, Redgrave P, Zheng Y., £655K, 36 Months.
2010 John Fell Fund Award. “Combining optogenetic modulation of neuronal activity with functional magnetic resonance imaging: establishing a new methodological resource for investigating CNS circuits.” Chris Martin (PI), N. Sibson, D. Bannerman, N. Rawlins and T. Sharp, £14K.
2010 John Fell Fund Award. “Early career researcher laboratory start-up support: funding request for equipment to establish functional MRI research in conscious rats”. Chris Martin (PI), £16K.
2010 Doctoral Training Centre Funding for DPhil student (Main Supervisor), jointly supervised with Mark Woolrich (FMRIB) and Jonathan Marchini (Statistics).
2009-2014 Royal Society University Research Fellowship. “Neuropharmacological modulation of functional brain imaging signals.” Chris Martin (PI), £641K, 60 Months.
2009 Young Scientist Travel Award (£2000) from the International Society for Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism to attend and present at the 2009 annual meeting in Chicago.
2005-2008 Medical Research Council Research Grant. “The neural and haemodynamic basis of the fMRI BOLD signal: An awake animal model for functional imaging research.” John Mayhew (PI), Chris Martin (application written by myself based on my PhD research). £240K, 36 Months.
2002 Department of Psychology Bursary (£500) to present research at Society for Neurosciences 2002 Conference (Orlando).
2000 Awarded Medical Research Council Studentship to fund PhD.
Dr Aisling Spain: Aisling’s research is funded by a Wellcome Trust Research Project Grant and focuses on how alterations in the functioning of the serotonin neurotransmitter system in the brain affect functional brain imaging signals and their relationship to neuronal activity.
Miss Elizabeth Kirkham: Lizzy's research is funded by the British Academy and investigates how neuroscience can improve the effectiveness of behaviour change interventions (with respect to both intervention design and evaluation) with a specific focus on interventions to tackle obesity.
Melissa Maczka: University of Oxford Doctoral Training Centre Student on the Life Sciences Interface Program. Melissa’s project involves developing new mathematical tools to help us understand what functional brain imaging signals tell us about the activity of neurons in the brain. Jointly supervised by Dr Jonathan Marchini (Statistics, University of Oxford) and Dr Mark Woolrich (Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford).
Gaia Brezzo: Department of Psychology PhD Teaching Fellowship. Gaia is investigating how neurodegenerative brain disease alters the relationship between neuronal activity and blood flow in the brain. This will improve our understanding of how to best use functional brain imaging tools in clinical populations as well as providing insights into the role of neurovascular mechanisms in disease progression.
Anka Gorgiev: South Eastern European Research Centre PhD Studentship in collaboration with The University of Sheffield and City College (International Faculty of The University of Sheffield), Thessolaniki, Greece. Anka's PhD in in the area of Neuromarketing and specifically addresses the issue of whether or not emerging technologies and theoretical developments in neuroscience are driving a 'paradigm shift' in marketing.
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here.
- Chhabria K, Plant K, Bandmann O, Wilkinson R, Martin C, Kugler E, Armitage P, Santoscoy P, Cunliffe V, Huisken J , Mcgown A et al (2018) The effect of hyperglycemia on neurovascular coupling and cerebrovascular patterning in zebrafish. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. View this article in WRRO
- Harris S, Boorman L, Das D, Kennerley A, Sharp P, Martin C, Redgrave P, Schwartz T & Berwick J (2018) Physiological and pathological brain activation in the anesthetized rat produces hemodynamic-dependent cortical temperature increases that can confound the BOLD fMRI signal.. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 12. View this article in WRRO
- Harris SS, Boorman L, Kennerley AJ, Sharp PS, Redgrave P, Martin C, Schwartz TH & Berwick J (2018) Seizure epicenter depth and translaminar field potential synchrony underlie complex variations in tissue oxygenation during ictal initiation. NeuroImage, 171, 165-175. View this article in WRRO
- De Silva S, Barnard A, Hughes S, Tam SKE, Martin CJ, Singh M, Barnea-Cramer A, McClements M, During M, Peirson S , Hankins M et al (2017) Long-term restoration of visual function in end-stage retinal degeneration using subretinal human melanopsin gene therapy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114(42), 11211-11216. View this article in WRRO
- Sutherland B, Fordsmann J, Martin CJ, Neuhaus A, Witgen B, Piilgaard H, Lonstrup M, Couch Y, Sibson N, Lauritzen M & Buchan A (2017) Multi-modal assessment of neurovascular coupling during cerebral ischaemia and reperfusion using remote middle cerebral artery occlusion. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 37(7), 2494-2508. View this article in WRRO
- Howarth C, Sutherland B, Choi HB, Martin C, Lind B, Khennouf L, LeDue J, Pakan J, Ko R, Ellis-Davies G , Lauritzen M et al (2017) A Critical Role for Astrocytes in Hypercapnic Vasodilation in Brain. Journal of Neuroscience, 37(9), 2403-2414. View this article in WRRO
- Spain A, Howarth C, Krapitchev A, Sharp T, Sibson NR & Martin C (2015) Neurovascular and neuroimaging effects of the hallucinogenic serotonin receptor agonist psilocin in the rat brain. Neuropharmacology, 99, 210-220. View this article in WRRO
- Lipinski DM, Barnard AR, Singh MS, Martin C, Lee EJ, Davies WIL & MacLaren RE (2015) CNTF Gene Therapy Confers Lifelong Neuroprotection in a Mouse Model of Human Retinitis Pigmentosa. Molecular Therapy, 23(8), 1308-1319. View this article in WRRO
- Boorman L, Harris S, Bruyns-Haylett M, Kennerley A, Zheng Y, Martin CJ, Jones M, Redgrave P & Berwick J (2015) Long-Latency Reductions in Gamma Power Predict Hemodynamic Changes That Underlie the Negative BOLD Signal. Journal of Neuroscience, 35(11), 4641-4656. View this article in WRRO
- Di Marco LY, Farkas E, Martin C, Venneri A & Frangi AF (2015) Is Vasomotion in Cerebral Arteries Impaired in Alzheimer’s Disease?. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 46(1), 35-53. View this article in WRRO
- Haensel J, Spain A & Martin CJ (2015) A systematic review of physiological methods in rodent pharmacological MRI studies. Psychopharmacology, 232(3), 489-499. View this article in WRRO
- Couch Y, Martin CJ, Howarth C, Raley J, Khrapitchev AA, Stratford M, Sharp T, Sibson NR & Anthony DC (2014) Corrigendum to “Systemic inflammation alters central 5-HT function as determined by pharmacological MRI” [Neuroimage 75 (2013) 177–186]. NeuroImage, 94, 413-413.
- Martin C (2014) Contributions and complexities from the use of in-vivo animal models to improve understanding of human neuroimaging signals.. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Martin CJ, Kennerley AJ, Berwick J, Port M & Mayhew JEW (2013) Functional MRI in conscious rats using a chronically implanted surface coil.. J Magn Reson Imaging, 38(3), 739-744.
- BYRNE BW, SCHUPP J, MARTIN CM, MACONOCHIE A, OLIPHANT J & CATHIE D (2013) Uplift of shallowly buried pipe sections in saturated very loose sand. Géotechnique, 63(5), 382-390.
- Serres S, Martin CJ, Sarmiento Soto M, Bristow C, O Brien ER, Connell JJ, Khrapitchev AA & Sibson NR (2013) Structural and functional effects of metastases in rat brain determined by multimodal MRI. International Journal of Cancer, n/a-n/a.
- Singh MS, Charbel Issa P, Butler R, Martin C, Lipinski DM, Sekaran S, Barnard AR & MacLaren RE (2013) Reversal of end-stage retinal degeneration and restoration of visual function by photoreceptor transplantation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 110, 1101-1106.
- Couch Y, Martin CJ, Howarth C, Raley J, Khrapitchev AA, Stratford M, Sharp T, Sibson NR & Anthony DC (2013) Systemic inflammation alters central 5-HT function as determined by pharmacological MRI. Neuroimage, 75C, 185-194.
- Martin C, Zheng Y, Sibson NR, Mayhew JEW & Berwick J (2013) Complex spatiotemporal haemodynamic response following sensory stimulation in the awake rat.. Neuroimage, 66, 1-8.
- Li J, Bravo DS, Upton AL, Gilmour G, Tricklebank MD, Fillenz M, Martin C, Lowry JP, Bannerman DM & McHugh SB (2011) Close temporal coupling of neuronal activity and tissue oxygen responses in rodent whisker barrel cortex. Eur J Neurosci, 34, 1983-1996. View this article in WRRO
- MARTIN CM (2011) The use of adaptive finite-element limit analysis to reveal slip-line fields. Géotechnique Letters, 1(2), 23-29.
- Bransby MF, Ireland J, Byrne B, Schupp J & Martin C (2011) Discussion: Rate effects during pipeline upheaval buckling in sand. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Geotechnical Engineering, 164(5), 347-349.
- VLAHOS G, CASSIDY MJ & MARTIN CM (2011) Numerical simulation of pushover tests on a model jack-up platform on clay. Géotechnique, 61(11), 947-960.
- Zheng Y, Pan Y, Harris S, Billings S, Coca D, Berwick J, Jones M, Kennerley A, Johnston D, Martin C , Devonshire IM et al (2010) A dynamic model of neurovascular coupling: implications for blood vessel dilation and constriction.. Neuroimage, 52(3), 1135-1147. View this article in WRRO
- MARTIN CM (2009) Undrained collapse of a shallow plane-strain trapdoor. Géotechnique, 59(10), 855-863.
- Lefebvre V, Zheng Y, Martin C, Devonshire IM, Harris S & Mayhew JE (2009) A dynamic causal model of the coupling between pulse stimulation and neural activity.. Neural Comput, 21(10), 2846-2868.
- Vlahos G, Cassidy MJ & Martin CM (2008) Experimental investigation of the system behaviour of a model three-legged jack-up on clay. Applied Ocean Research, 30(4), 323-337.
- Jones M, Devonshire IM, Berwick J, Martin C, Redgrave P & Mayhew J (2008) Altered neurovascular coupling during information-processing states.. Eur J Neurosci, 27(10), 2758-2772.
- Berwick J, Johnston D, Jones M, Martindale J, Martin C, Kennerley AJ, Redgrave P & Mayhew JEW (2008) Fine detail of neurovascular coupling revealed by spatiotemporal analysis of the hemodynamic response to single whisker stimulation in rat barrel cortex.. J Neurophysiol, 99(2), 787-798.
- Martin C & Sibson NR (2008) Pharmacological MRI in animal models: a useful tool for 5-HT research?. Neuropharmacology, 55, 1038-1047.
- Martin C (2008) Experimental use of nonhuman primates is not a simple problem. Nature Medicine, 14(10), 1011-1011. View this article in WRRO
- Mitchinson B, Martin CJ, Grant RA & Prescott TJ (2007) Feedback control in active sensing: rat exploratory whisking is modulated by environmental contact.. Proc Biol Sci, 274(1613), 1035-1041. View this article in WRRO
- Lefebvre VA, Zheng Y, Devonshire IM, Martin CJ & Mayhew JEW (2007) Investigating the coupling between stimulation and neural activity: a dynamic modeling approach.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2007, 1105-1108.
- Lefebvre VA, Zheng Y, Devonshire IM, Martin CJ & Mayhew JEW (2007) Investigating the coupling between stimulation and neural activity: a dynamic modeling approach.. Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference, 1105-1108.
- Martin C (2007) Anaesthetic use in animal models for neuroimaging. Neuroimage, 38, 1-2.
- Martin C, Jones M, Martindale J & Mayhew J (2006) Haemodynamic and neural responses to hypercapnia in the awake rat.. Eur J Neurosci, 24(9), 2601-2610.
- Martin C, Martindale J, Berwick J & Mayhew J (2006) Investigating neural-hemodynamic coupling and the hemodynamic response function in the awake rat.. Neuroimage, 32(1), 33-48.
- Martin CM & Randolph MF (2006) Upper-bound analysis of lateral pile capacity in cohesive soil. Géotechnique, 56(2), 141-145.
- Martindale J, Berwick J, Martin C, Kong Y, Zheng Y & Mayhew J (2005) Long duration stimuli and nonlinearities in the neural-haemodynamic coupling.. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 25(5), 651-661.
- Cassidy MJ, Martin CM & Houlsby GT (2004) Development and application of force resultant models describing jack-up foundation behaviour. Marine Structures, 17(3-4), 165-193.
- Martin CM (2004) Discussion of “Calculations of Bearing Capacity Factor Nγ Using Numerical Limit Analyses” by Boonchai Ukritchon, Andrew J. Whittle, and C. Klangvijit. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 130(10), 1106-1107.
- Martindale J, Mayhew J, Berwick J, Jones M, Martin C, Johnston D, Redgrave P & Zheng Y (2003) The hemodynamic impulse response to a single neural event.. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 23(5), 546-555.
- Houlsby GT & Martin CM (2003) Undrained bearing capacity factors for conical footings on clay. Géotechnique, 53(5), 513-520.
- Byrne B, Houlsby G, Martin C & Fish P (2002) Suction Caisson Foundations for Offshore Wind Turbines. Wind Engineering, 26(3), 145-155.
- Martin C, Berwick J, Johnston D, Zheng Y, Martindale J, Port M, Redgrave P & Mayhew J (2002) Optical imaging spectroscopy in the unanaesthetised rat.. J Neurosci Methods, 120(1), 25-34.
- Berwick J, Martin C, Martindale J, Jones M, Johnston D, Zheng Y, Redgrave P & Mayhew J (2002) Hemodynamic response in the unanesthetized rat: intrinsic optical imaging and spectroscopy of the barrel cortex.. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 22(6), 670-679.
- Martin CM & Houlsby GT (2001) Combined loading of spudcan foundations on clay: numerical modelling. Géotechnique, 51(8), 687-699.
Conference proceedings papers
- Macaro G, Utili S & Martin CM (2015) DEM analyses of pipe-soil interaction for offshore pipelines on sand. Geomechanics from Micro to Macro - Proceedings of the TC105 ISSMGE International Symposium on Geomechanics from Micro to Macro, IS-Cambridge 2014, Vol. 1 (pp 595-600)
- Dejardin T, Martin C, Ross L, Hart A, Knox A, Cumming D & Riehle M (2011) Designing a conduit for peripheral nerve regeneration. 24th European Conference on Biomaterials - Annual Conference of the European Society for Biomaterials
- Vlahos G, Cassidy MJ & Martin CM (2008) Implementation of a force-resultant model describing spudcan load-displacement behaviour using an implicit integration scheme. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference (pp 713-720)
- Byrne BW, Schupp J, Martin CM, Oliphant J, Maconochie A & Cathie DN (2008) Experimental modeling of the unburial behaviour of pipelines. Offshore Technology Conference, Proceedings, Vol. 4 (pp 2475-2487)
- Martin CM & Hazell ECJ (2005) Bearing capacity of parallel strip footings on non-homogeneous clay. Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics, ISFOG 2005 - Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (pp 427-433)
- Kelly RB, Byrne BW, Houlsby GT & Martin CM (2004) Tensile loading of model caisson foundations for structures on sand. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference (pp 638-641)
- Byrne BW, Villalobos F, Houlsby GT & Martin CM (2003) Laboratory testing of shallow skirted foundations in sand. BGA International Conference on Foundations, Innovations, Observations, Design and Practice (pp 161-173)
- Kelly RB, Byrne BW, Houlsby GT & Martin CM (2003) Pressure chamber testing of model caisson foundations in sand. BGA International Conference on Foundations, Innovations, Observations, Design and Practice (pp 421-431)
- Martin CM (2003) New software for rigorous bearing capacity calculations. BGA International Conference on Foundations, Innovations, Observations, Design and Practice (pp 581-592)
- Pinna R, Martin CM & Ronalds BF (2001) Guidance for design of suction caissons against buckling during installation in clay soils. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Vol. 2 (pp 662-668)
- Vlahos G, Martin CM & Cassidy MJ (2001) Experimental investigation of a model jack-up unit on clay. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Vol. 1 (pp 97-105)