Dr Iñaki Esnaola
Dr Iñaki Esnaola
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5648
Room: D15, Amy Johnson Building
I received my MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Navarra, Spain in 2006 and a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Delaware, Newark, DE in 2011. I am currently a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering at The University of Sheffield, and a Visiting Research Collaborator in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Princeton University, NJ. In 2010-2011 I was a Research Intern at Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent, Holmdel, NJ, and in 2011-2013 I was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Princeton University. My research interests include information theory and communication theory with an emphasis on the application to electricity grid problems.
My research focuses on understanding the constraints imposed by incomplete or mismatched system information. Today, we are seeing a growing amount of stored electronic data, and larger more diverse networks whose agents interact with limited information. However, many of the fundamental questions are still open. Tools from assorted communities such as information theory, probability theory, and random matrix theory among others, are proving useful but we are still lacking in our understanding of these systems and how to provide constructive guidelines for optimal algorithm design. My aim is to obtain a deeper understanding of the fundamental limits governing such systems.
- Quintero V, Perlaza SM, Esnaola I & Gorce J-M (2017) When Does Output Feedback Enlarge the Capacity of the Interference Channel?. IEEE Transactions on Communications. View this article in WRRO
- Kiring A, Salman N, Liu C, Esnaola I & Mihaylova LS (2017) Tracking with Sparse and Correlated Measurements via a Shrinkage-based Particle Filter. IEEE Sensors Journal, 17(10), 3152-3164. View this article in WRRO
- Esnaola I, Perlaza SM, Poor HV & Kosut O (2016) Maximum Distortion Attacks in Electricity Grids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 7(4), 2007-2015.
- Ozay M, Esnaola I, Yarman Vural FT, Kulkarni SR & Poor HV (2015) Machine Learning Methods for Attack Detection in the Smart Grid. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 27(8), 1773-1786.
- Ding Z, Perlaza S, Esnaola I & Poor HV (2014) Power Allocation Strategies in Energy Harvesting Wireless Cooperative Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 13(2), 846-860.
- Aubry A, Esnaola I, Tulino AM & Venkatesan S (2013) Achievable rate region for gaussian MIMO MAC with partial CSI. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 59(7), 4139-4170.
- Ozay M, Esnaola I, Vural FTY, Kulkarni SR & Poor HV (2013) Sparse attack construction and state estimation in the smart grid: Centralized and distributed models. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 31(7), 1306-1318.
- Esnaola I, Tulino AM & Garcia-Frias J (2013) Linear analog coding of correlated multivariate gaussian sources. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 61(8), 3438-3447.
- Memmolo P, Esnaola I, Finizio A, Paturzo M, Ferraro P & Tulino AM (2012) SPADEH: A Sparsity Based Denoising Method of Digital Holograms without Knowing the Noise Statistics. Optics Express, 20(15), 17250-17257.
- Del Ser J, Crespo PM, Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2010) Joint Source-Channel Coding of Sources with Memory using Turbo Codes and the Burrows-Wheeler Transform. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 58(7), 1984-1992.
Conference proceedings papers
- Esnaola I, Perlaza SM, Poor HV & Kosut O (2016) Decentralized MMSE attacks in electricity grids. IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing Proceedings, Vol. 2016-August
- Genes C, Esnaola I, Perlaza SM, Ochoa LF & Coca D (2016) Recovering missing data via matrix completion in electricity distribution systems. IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications, SPAWC, Vol. 2016-August View this article in WRRO
- Jones BL, Heins PH & Esnaola I (2016) Sea-surface reconstruction for surface marine vehicles: A matrix completion approach. 2016 UKACC International Conference on Control, UKACC Control 2016
- Quintero V, Perlaza SM, Esnaola I & Gorce JM (2016) Approximate capacity of the Gaussian interference channel with noisy channel-output feedback. 2016 IEEE Information Theory Workshop, ITW 2016 (pp 474-478)
- Quintero V, Perlaza SM, Esnaola I & Gorce JM (2016) When does channel-output feedback enlarge the capacity region of the two-user linear deterministic interference channel?. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, LNICST, Vol. 172 (pp 471-483)
- Kiring A, Salman N, Liu C, Esnaola I & Mihaylova LS (2016) A. Kiring, C. Liu, N. Salman, I. Esnaola, L. Mihaylova, A Shrinkage-based Particle Filter for Tracking with Correlated Measurements. Proc. of the IEEE Sensor Data Fusion Conference (pp 1-6). Bonn, germany, 6 October 2015 - 8 October 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Liu C, Kiring A, Salman N, Mihaylova L & Esnaola I (2016) A Kriging Algorithm for Fingerprinting Positioning with received Signal Strengths. Bonn, Germany View this article in WRRO
- Esnaola I, Perlaza SM & Poor HV (2014) Equilibria in data injection attacks. 2014 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, GlobalSIP 2014 (pp 779-783)
- Ding Z, Perlaza S, Esnaola I & Poor HV (2013) Simultaneous Information and Power Transfer in Wireless Cooperative Networks. 8th International Conference on Communications and Networking in China. Guilin, China, 14 August 2013 - 16 February 2014.
- Esnaola I, Tulino AM & Poor HV (2013) A Statistical Physics Approach to the Wiretap Channel. IEEE international Symposium on Information Theory. Istanbul, Turkey
- Memmolo P, Esnaola I, Finizio A, Paturzo M, Ferraro P & Tulino AM (2012) A new algorithm for digital holograms denoising based on compressed sensing. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 8429
- Ozay M, Esnaola I, Yarman Vural FT, Kulkarni SR & Vincent Poor H (2012) Smarter security in the smart grid. 2012 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2012 (pp 312-317)
- Esnaola I, Tulino AM & Poor HV (2012) Mismatched MMSE estimation of multivariate Gaussian sources. IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory - Proceedings (pp 716-720)
- Ozay M, Esnaola I, Yarman Vural FT, Kulkarni SR & Vincent Poor H (2012) Distributed models for sparse attack construction and state vector estimation in the smart grid. 2012 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2012 (pp 306-311)
- Esnaola I, Tulino AM, Venkatesan V & Ling J (2012) Channel estimation impact over MIMO-MAC achievable rates. IEEE International Conference on Communications (pp 2521-2525)
- Memmmolo P, Esnaola I, Finizio A, Paturzo M, Ferraro P & Tulino AM (2011) Universal Denoising of Digital Holograms Using Compressed Sensing. EOS Topical Meeting on Optical Microsystems. Capri, Italy
- Esnaola I, Carrillo RE, Garcia-Frias J & Barner KE (2010) Orthogonal Matching Pursuit Based Recovery for Correlated Sources with Partially Disjoint Supports. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Princeton, NJ
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2009) Distributed analog coding of correlated Gaussian sources. Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing. Monticello, IL
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2009) Linear Analog Coding of General Multivariate Gaussian Sources. IEEE Information Theory Workshop. Taormina, Italy
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2009) Distributed Analog Linear Coding of Correlated Gaussian Sources over Multiple Access Channels. IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communications. Siena, Italy
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2009) Analysis and Optimization of Distributed Linear Coding of Gaussian Sources. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Baltimore, MD
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2008) MMSE Estimation of Distributely Coded Correlated Gaussian Sources Using Random Projections. IEEE Global Communications Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2008) Distributed Compression of Correlated Signals Using Random Projections. Data Compression Conference. Snowbird, UT
- Garcia-Frias J & Esnaola I (2008) Distributed Compression of Correlated Real Sequences Using Random Projections. IEEE Information Theory Workshop. Porto, Portugal
- Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2007) Exploiting Prior Knowledge in the Recovery of Non-Sparse Signals from Noisy Random Projections. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Baltimore, MD
- Garcia-Frias J & Esnaola I (2007) Exploiting Prior Knowledge in the Recovery of Signals from Noisy Random Projections. Data Compression Conference. Snowbird, UT
- Del Ser J, Crespo PM, Esnaola I & Garcia-Frias J (2006) Source Controlled Coding of Sources with Memory Using the Burrows Wheeler Transform. International Symposium on Turbo Codes. Munich, Germany
- Del Ser J, Esnaola I & Crespo PM (2005) Compresión de Fuentes con Memoria mediante Códigos LDPC y la Transformada de Burrows-Wheeler. Simposium Nacional de la Unión Científica Internacional de Radio. Gandia, Spain
- Arrieta M & Esnaola I () Smart Meter Privacy via the Trapdoor Channel View this article in WRRO
- Sun K, Esnaola I, Perlaza SM & Poor HV () Information-Theoretic Attacks in the Smart Grid View this article in WRRO
- Tulino AM & Esnaola I (2013) Method Apparatus for Low Complexity Robust Reconstruction of Noisy Signals. (United States). Appl. 21 Mar 2013.
- Tulino AM & Esnaola I (2011) Robust Reconstruction of Correlated Sparse Signals from Few Noisy Observations: Information Theoretic Bounds
- Ling J, Chizhik D, Tulino AM & Esnaola I (2011) Compressed Sensing Estimation of SCM Urban Channels
- Esnaola I, Tulino AM, Valenzuela R & Marzetta TL (2010) Channel State Information Acquisition in Wireless Systems Using Distributed Compressed Sensing
- Genes C, Esnaola I, Perlaza SM, Ochoa LF & Coca D () Robust Recovery of Missing Data in Electricity Distribution Systems. View this article in WRRO