Professor Tony Dodd
Professor of Autonomous Systems Engineering
Professor Tony Dodd
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5636
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Room: C6b, Amy Johnson Building
I am a graduate of the University of Southampton where I obtained a first class BEng in Aerospace Systems Engineering and a PhD from the Department of Electronics and Computer Science in the area of machine learning.
After postdoctoral positions at the Universities of Southampton and Sheffield I became a Lecturer in Aerospace Systems Engineering in 2002. I became the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Aerospace Engineering in 2009 and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2010. I led the development of the new cross-faculty MSc in Computational Intelligence jointly with Psychology and Computer Science which started in 2011. In 2015 I was appointed Professor of Autonomous Systems Engineering in ACSE and became Director of the MEng Engineering degree program in the Faculty.
I have diverse research interests in the areas of autonomous systems and robotics and regularly publish in international journals and conferences. I am, or have been, involved in research grants totalling in excess of £2.5M. My work is funded by various government bodies and I collaborate with a wide variety of companies and national and international universities and research agencies. I am a founding member of the Sheffield Centre for Robotics (SCentRo), a joint collaboration between the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University. I am also a member of the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Control and Systems Engineering.
My teaching interests are in the broad areas of control and systems engineering with a focus on robotics, autonomous systems, aerospace and data fusion. I am the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Aerospace Engineering and course director for the newly developed MSc in Computational Intelligence. I am a member of the Faculty of Engineering Learning & Teaching Committee and Programme Quality and Scrutiny Sub-Committee. More generally I have interests in embedding professional skills into curricula as part of developing students into professional engineers.
I currently teach the following modules:
- ACS324/410 Aircraft/Flight Dynamics and Control
- ACS424 Multi-Sensor Data Fusion
- ACS6118 Robotics and Multi-Sensor Systems
- MEC385 Aerospace Group Design Project
In addition I am involved in teaching the module, Flight Control Systems on the MSc in Gas Turbine Control at the University of York.
I have diverse research interests in the general areas of control, machine learning, autonomous systems and robotics. I have particular interests in autonomous control for ground and air vehicles (UAVs), co-operative control, mission planning, navigation, task allocation and simultaneous localisation and mapping (SLAM). My interests span everything from physical robot development through to algorithms with a particular focus on applications in dynamic, uncertain and confined spaces and Bayesian and biologically inspired approaches.
I have strong collaborations with industry and government agencies as research collaborators and potential end users including QinetiQ, Siemens, KUKA Automation, RURobots, Rolls-Royce, The Home Office, UK Border Agency, DEFRA, Swedish Institute for Food and Biotechnology, Italian Institute of Technology. Within the University of Sheffield I have collaborations with Computer Science, Physics and Psychology.
My work has been published in over 55 refereed journals and conferences.
I am currently supervising the following projects:
- Ross Walker, Robot Navigation in Dynamic Crowded Environments, October 2011 – present
- Uriel Martinez, Novel Approaches to Tactile Sensing and Scene Exploration, January 2011 – present
- Tom Forster, SLAM for Multiple Heterogeneous Autonomous Ground Vehicles, October 2010 – present
- Dejanira Araiza Illan, Biologically Inspired Approaches to Prey Behaviour in Predator-Prey Systems, October 2008 – present
- Mohd Ismail, Design and Control of a Variable Geometry Tracked Vehicle, October 2008 – present
- Panos Kotsas, Novel Approaches to Binary Image Registration, October 2006 – present (part-time, remote location)
If you are interested in undertaking a PhD with me please visit our PhD Programme website to find information about PhD projects, our research training and how to apply.
- EPSRC, Novel Sensing Networks for Intellignet Monitoring (Newton, EP/J012343/1) (CI), Mar 2012 – Feb 2016, £1,175,282
- EU FP7, Experimental Functional Android Assistant (CI), Jan 2011 – Dec 2013, €520,000
- DEFRA, GRAIL food handling robot (PI), July 2009 – June 2011, £300,600
- EPSRC, Cargo Screening Ferret (EP/G004307/1) (PI), Oct 2008 – Feb 2012, £731,774
- EU FP6, RobotCub (PI), Aug 2008 – Aug 2009, £198,759
- EU FP6, NovelQ (PI), May 2008 – Feb 2011, €33,335
- EPSRC, Mathematics for Engineers Winter School: Mathematics for Data Modelling (EP/E504930/1) (PI), Sept 2007 – Mar 2008, £36,000
I am actively involved in a number of professional activities including journal editorship and reviewing, conference organisation, grant reviewing and IET and IFAC committees. My work has featured in both print and radio media and I have been interviewed for articles on autonomous systems.
Key professional activities include:
- Member, IET Transport Sector Team and Aerospace Executive Team
- Member, IFAC Technical Committees on Robotics and Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Systems Science
- Member, Organising and Program Committees for various international conferences
- Reviewer, various journals
- Referee for EPSRC and STFC
- Martinez-Hernandez U, Dodd TJ & Prescott TJ (2017) Feeling the Shape: Active Exploration Behaviors for Object Recognition With a Robotic Hand. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems. View this article in WRRO
- Georgiou C, Anderson S & Dodd T (2017) Constructing informative Bayesian map priors: A multi-objective optimisation approach applied to indoor occupancy grid mapping. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 36(3), 274-291. View this article in WRRO
- Martinez-Hernandez U, Dodd TJ, Evans M, Prescott TJ & Lepora NF (2017) Active sensorimotor control for tactile exploration. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 87, 15-27. View this article in WRRO
- Lopes YK, Trenkwalder SM, Leal AB, Dodd TJ & Groß R (2016) Supervisory control theory applied to swarm robotics. Swarm Intelligence, 10(1), 65-97. View this article in WRRO
- Jacobs WR, Wilson ED, Assaf T, Rossiter J, Dodd TJ, Porrill J & Anderson SR (2015) Control-focused, nonlinear and time-varying modelling of dielectric elastomer actuators with frequency response analysis. Smart Materials and Structures, 24(5). View this article in WRRO
- Petterson A, Ohlsson T, Caldwell DG, Davis S, Gray JO & Dodd TJ (2010) A Bernoulli principle gripper for handling of planar and 3D (food) products. Industrial Robot, 37(6), 518-526.
- Adra SF, Dodd TJ, Griffin IA & Fleming PJ (2009) Convergence Acceleration Operator for Multiobjective Optimization. IEEE T EVOLUT COMPUT, 13(4), 825-847. View this article in WRRO
- Gunetti P, Dodd TJ & Thompson H () Simulation of a Soar-Based Autonomous Mission Management System for Unmanned Aircraft. Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information and Communication, 10(2), 53-70.