Dr Adam Hodgson
School of Biosciences
Honorary NHS Clinical Scientist: Sheffield Diagnostic Genetics Service
+44 114 222 4186
Full contact details
School of Biosciences
I am a Senior Lecturer in Genomics and Cytogenetics. The courses I teach and the research in my lab are focused on how genetics impacts molecular pathology and healthcare to improve patient outcomes. To achieve this I work closely with NHS geneticists to develop our teaching curriculum, NHS work placements, and clinically focused research projects in functional genomics and clinical diagnostics.
- PhD in Genome Stability and DNA Repair
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Cytogenetics
Honours and distinctions
- GlaxoSmithKline Prize in Genetics
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Centenary Award
This person does not have any publications available.
- Epigenetic changes in histone acetylation underpin resistance to the topoisomerase I inhibitor irinotecan. Nucleic Acids Research, 45(3), 1159-1176. View this article in WRRO
- Mre11 and Exo1 contribute to the initiation and processivity of resection at meiotic double-strand breaks made independently of Spo11.. DNA Repair (Amst), 10(2), 138-148.
- Teaching activities
My teaching is focussed on clinical/healthcare genomics and cytogenetics.
- MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (Course Director)
- The Genetics of Human Disease (MBB329, MBB6329)
- Human Fertility and Reproduction (MBB345, MBB6345)
- Laboratory Techniques In Molecular Bioscience (MBB6011)
- MSc Clinical Genetics Research Project (MBB6403)
- MSc Clinical Genetics Literature Review (MBB6402)
- Undergraduate Research Project in Clinical Diagnostics (MBB380)
I coordinate work placements with The Sheffield Diagnostic Genetics Service (SDGS) and clinical training. This genomics facility is embedded in the Sheffield Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. I work with healthcare scientists to develop work placements for MSc-HMG students in the following areas:
- Next Generation Sequencing: Specialist Services
- Bone Marrow Oncology Karyotype Analysis
- Embryonic and Pluripotent Stem Cell Karyotype Analysis
- Unclassified Variant Analysis.
- Professional activities
- Faculty of Science Director of Recruitment
- Honorary Clinical Scientist: The Sheffield Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Sheffield Diagnostic Genetics Services)
- Course Director MSc Human and Molecular Genetics