Dr Heather Walker
School of Biosciences
Biological Mass Spectrometry Facility Manager
- Mass Spectrometry Facility Manager, Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield (2015–present)
- PhD 'Direct Approaches to Metabolite Profiling by Mass Spectrometry', Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield (2014)
- Senior Research Technician, Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield (2003-2014)
- Mass Spectrometry Demo Chemist, Waters UK, Manchester (1999-2003)
- Chemical Analyst, Sheffield Hallam University (1994-1999)
- MSc Chemistry, UMIST, Manchester (1994)
- BSc (Hons) Chemistry, UMIST, Manchester (1991)
- Research interests
I am an analytical biochemist with over 25 years’ experience in Mass Spectrometry. For more than 15 years, I have specialised in using Mass Spectrometry for the study of metabolites within different biological systems.
I collaborate with researchers and academics on many different research projects across the biological and natural sciences to help understand how metabolites adapt and change due to their environments.
The laboratory also has the capability for imaging metabolites, which allows the understanding of how metabolites are localised within tissue sections.
- Simultaneous detection of monomers associated with resin-based dental composites using SPME and HPLC.. Dent Mater J.
- Latent anti-nutrients and unintentional breeding consequences in Australian Sorghum bicolor varieties. Frontiers in Plant Science, 12. View this article in WRRO
- Could breath analysis by MS could be a solution to rapid, non-invasive testing for COVID-19?. Bioanalysis. View this article in WRRO
- The regulation of plant secondary metabolism in response to abiotic stress : interactions between heat shock and elevated CO2. Frontiers in Plant Science, 10. View this article in WRRO
- Systems analyses reveal the resilience of Escherichia coli physiology during accumulation and export of the nonnative organic acid citramalate. mSystems, 4(4). View this article in WRRO
- A metabolite profiling method for diagnosis of precancerous cervical lesions and HPV persistence. Bioanalysis, 9(8), 601-608.
- Changes of Metabolites Status in Plant Pathogen Interaction. Advanced Science Letters, 23(5), 4623-4626.
- A novel root‐to‐shoot stomatal response to very high CO2 levels in the soil: electrical, hydraulic and biochemical signalling. Physiologia Plantarum, 159(4), 433-444. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding metabolism of arginine in biological systems via MALDI imaging. PROTEOMICS, 16(11-12), 1690-1694. View this article in WRRO
- Elevated CO2-Induced Responses in Stomata Require ABA and ABA Signaling. Current Biology, 25(20), 2709-2716. View this article in WRRO
- Metabolism of 2-fluoro-4-iodoaniline in earthwormEisenia venetausing19F-NMR spectroscopy, HPLC-MS, and HPLC-ICPMS (127I). Xenobiotica, 37(12), 1378-1393.
- Metabolism of 3-chloro-4-fluoroaniline in rat using [14C]-radiolabelling,19F-NMR spectroscopy, HPLC-MS/MS, HPLC-ICPMS and HPLC-NMR. Xenobiotica, 36(1), 59-77.
- Metabolic Profiling of Phloem Exudates as a Tool to Improve Bread-Wheat Cultivars. Agronomy, 8(4), 45-45.
- Application of metabolite profiling to the identification of traits in a population of tomato introgression lines. Journal of Experimental Botany, 56(410), 287-296.
- Metabolic signature of articular cartilage following mechanical injury: An integrated transcriptomics and metabolomics analysis. Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences.
- Metabolite imaging by mass spectrometry: A new discovery tool, Advances in Botanical Research Elsevier
- Metabolic Profiling of Plant Tissues by Electrospray Mass Spectrometry, Handbook of Molecular Microbial Ecology I (pp. 697-708). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Teaching activities
I teach on the postgraduate course BMS6007:Mass Spectrometry-based Proteomics and Metabolomics course which is organised annually and provides lectures and interactive sessions.
I also teach on APS6625:Advanced Analytical Techniques in Agricultural Research as part of the APS based Sustainable Agricultural Technologies MSc course providing lectures, tutorials and practical sessions.
- Professional activities
Member of the Royal Society International Exchanges Panel