Dr Adam Beagles
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: (0114) 222 7814
Adam Beagles was appointed as a lecturer in Mechanical Engineering (Rail) in 2015. His first degree in 1981 was in Mathematics with Physics from Durham University. Following this he moved to Brunel University where he took an MSc in Numerical Analysis, was awarded a PhD for work in theoretical finite element analysis and undertook post-doctoral work on fracture mechanics. He moved to Sheffield in 1989 to work in R&D in the steel industry. He was promoted to lead the department that supplied engineering analysis, training, and standards to a company employing about a thousand engineers.
After working as a self-employed consultant and lecturing in Project Management at Sheffield Hallam University he joined the railway industry in 2000; working for the company that had been British Rail Research. While there he made significant contributions to the study and prediction of rolling contact fatigue and studied many aspects of vehicle crashworthiness, and axle inspection periodicity. He also worked on applications of probabilistic fracture mechanics to the inter-granular fracture of irradiated stainless steel using EBSD data (for two EU FP7 research projects). He joined Sheffield University in 2011 to work on an EU FP7 project on sustainable freight railways, studying mainly track components.
Adam is a member of the MERail research group and the Leonardo Tribology Centre.
Areas of Research
Adam’s research interests are mainly in the applications of probabilistic fracture mechanics and extracting useful information from real-world and test data. The rail industry always wants to reduce its carbon footprint and energy use and Adam’s research aims to address these areas by reducing unnecessary maintenance and expensive testing.
Adam is the Faculty Advisor for the University's Railway Challenge team (http://www.imeche.org/railwaychallenge), a group of students who design and manufacture a miniature (10¼” gauge) railway locomotive to compete against other teams to test their business knowledge, design ability and technical skills in a live test environment.
- Lewis R, Magel E, Wang W-J, Olofsson U, Lewis SR, Slatter T & Beagles A (2017) Towards a standard approach for the wear testing of wheel and rail materials. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 231(7), 760-774. View this article in WRRO
- Wang W-J, Lewis SR, Lewis R, Beagles , He CG & Liu QY (2017) The role of slip ratio in rolling contact fatigue of rail materials under wet conditions. Wear, 376-377(B), 1892-1900. View this article in WRRO
- Beagles A, Fletcher D, Peffers M, Mak P & Lowe C (2016) Validation of a new model for railway overhead line dynamics. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Transport, 169(5), 339-349. View this article in WRRO
- Beagles AE & Fletcher DI (2013) The aerodynamics of freight; approaches to save fuel by optimising the utilisation of container trains. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 227(November 2013), 635-643. View this article in WRRO
- Hlaváček I, Rosenberg J, Beagles AE & Whiteman JR (1992) Variational inequality formulation in strain space and finite element solution of an elasto-plastic problem with hardening. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 94(1), 93-112.
- BEAGLES AE & SANDIG AM (1991) SINGULARITIES OF ROTATIONALLY SYMMETRICAL SOLUTIONS OF BOUNDARY-VALUE-PROBLEMS FOR THE LAME EQUATIONS. Z ANGEW MATH MECH, 71(11), 423-431.
- BEAGLES AE & WHITEMAN JR (1989) GENERAL CONICAL SINGULARITIES IN 3-DIMENSIONAL POISSON PROBLEMS. MATH METHOD APPL SCI, 11(2), 215-235.
- Beagles AE & Whiteman JR (1986) Finite element treatment of boundary singularities by augmentation with non-exact singular functions. Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, 2(2), 113-121.
- BEAGLES AE & WHITEMAN JR (1983) TREATMENT OF A RE-ENTRANT VERTEX IN A 3-DIMENSIONAL POISSON PROBLEM. LECT NOTES PHYS, 1121, 19-27.
Conference proceedings papers
- Beagles AE, Arnall AD & Fletcher DI (2015) Interaction of Multiple Cracks in Railheads. 10th International Conference on Contact Mechanics, CM2015. Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 30 August 2015 - 3 September 2015.
- Beagles AE, Beaty P, Fletcher DI, Lewis R & Temple BP (2015) Insulated rail joint enhancement: testing and analysis. The Stephenson Conference: Research for railways. London, UK, 21 April 2015 - 23 April 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Beagles A & Fletcher D (2012) The aerodynamics of freight; approaches to save fuel by optimising the utilisation of container trains. RRUKA 2012 Annual Conference. www.rssb.co.uk, 7 November 2012 - 7 November 2012.
- Beagles A & Mottershead K (2011) Introduction to cracking initiation model INITEAC. PERFORM60 UG 1st Training Session. EDF Les Renardières, 15 March 2011 - 18 March 2011.
- Beagles A, Tice D, Mottershead K & Dunbar L (2010) Evolution of stress corrosion cracking in model alloys simulating radiation-induced segregation in stainless steels: statistical modelling and empirical validation. International Workshop on Coupling Mechanisms to Improve Lifetime Prediction of LWRs. Les Renardières, Moret-sur-Loing, France, 8 April 2010 - 9 April 2010.
- Beagles AE, Mottershead K & Tice D (2008) Crack initiation prediction in a statistical framework: INITEAC Software Validation. EU FP7 PERFECT Project FInal Workshop. France, June 2008.
- Beagles A, Fletcher JD & Mizban SI (1993) Practical Applications of Finite Element Modelling to Rolling Mill Design. Modern practice in stress and vibration analysis (pp 251-262). Sheffield, 20 April 1993 - 22 April 1993.
- Beagles AE, Walton JR, Warby MK & Whiteman JR (1989) Some numerical results in nonlinear and viscoelastic fracture. ARO Rep. 89-1 (pp 85-97). Boulder/Colorado, 31 May 1988 - 3 June 1988.
- Beagles AE & Whiteman JR (1985) TREATMENT OF A RE-ENTRANT VERTEX IN A THREE-DIMENSIONAL POISSON PROBLEM. (pp 604-605)
- Beagles A () Mill housings. EP 0962265 A1 Appl. 01 Jan 1970.
- Beagles AE, Kapoor A, Fletcher DI, Franklin FJ, Burstow MC, Allen R, Evans G & Jaiswal J (2006) Management and understanding of rolling contact fatigue. Literature Review
- Beagles A (2005) Whole Train Dynamics and Crashworthiness: Task 3.1 One-Dimensional Models
- Beagles A (2003) “Performance of Obstacle Deflectors and Lifeguards: Task 3.1 Parametric Study of Obstacle Deflectors”
- Beagles AE (2003) Whole Life Rail Model: Initial assessment of the influence of wheel profile changes on rolling contact fatigue formation
- Beagles AE, Beagles M, Burstow MC, Evans JR, Kapoor A & Watson AS (2003) Whole Life Rail Model: Six month report
- Whiteman JR, Beagles AE & Warby MK (1990) Theoretical and practical aspects of finite elements in the context of some problems of solid mechanics.
- Beagles A, Walton JR & Warby MK (1988) Some numerical results in nonlinear and viscoelastic fracture
- Beagles AE (Ed.) (2015) SUSTRAIL Concluding Technical Report. Paris: International Union or Railways (UIC).