Dr Emily Noël
British Heart Foundation Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellow
Room C21 Firth Court
Brief career history
- 2017-Present: British Heart Foundation Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK
- 2015-2017: Independent Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK
- 2009-2015: Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Bakkers Lab, Hubrecht Institute, Utrecht, NL
- 2005-2009: PhD Student, Ober Lab, National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK
- 2001-2004: BSc Biochemistry, University of Warwick
Congenital heart diseases affect around 1% of live births, and are structural defects that arise from improper morphogenesis of the heart during embryonic development.
We are interested in how tissue rearrangements in the heart during embryogenesis drive normal cardiac development, and in identifying which genetic and cellular mechanisms ensure this process occurs properly.
- British Heart Foundation
- Academy of Medical Sciences/Wellcome Trust
- Rosetrees Trust
- BMS349 Extended Library Project
- BMS356: Biomedical Technology and Drug Development
- Noël ES, Momenah TS, Al-Dagriri K, Al-Suwaid A, Al-Shahrani S, Jiang H, Willekers S, Oostveen YY, Chocron S, Postma AV, Bhuiyan ZA & Bakkers J (2016) A Zebrafish Loss-of-Function Model for Human CFAP53 Mutations Reveals Its Specific Role in Laterality Organ Function. Human Mutation, 37(2), 194-200.
- Wu C-C, Kruse F, Vasudevarao MD, Junker JP, Zebrowski DC, Fischer K, Noël ES, Grün D, Berezikov E, Engel FB, van Oudenaarden A, Weidinger G & Bakkers J (2016) Spatially Resolved Genome-wide Transcriptional Profiling Identifies BMP Signaling as Essential Regulator of Zebrafish Cardiomyocyte Regeneration. Developmental Cell, 36(1), 36-49.
- Tessadori F, Noël ES, Rens EG, Magliozzi R, Evers-van Gogh IJA, Guardavaccaro D, Merks RMH & Bakkers J (2015) Nodal Signaling Range Is Regulated by Proprotein Convertase-Mediated Maturation. Developmental Cell, 32(5), 631-639.
- Junker JP, Noël ES, Guryev V, Peterson KA, Shah G, Huisken J, McMahon AP, Berezikov E, Bakkers J & van Oudenaarden A (2014) Genome-wide RNA Tomography in the Zebrafish Embryo. Cell, 159(3), 662-675.
- Noël ES, Verhoeven M, Lagendijk AK, Tessadori F, Smith K, Choorapoikayil S, den Hertog J & Bakkers J (2013) A Nodal-independent and tissue-intrinsic mechanism controls heart-looping chirality. Nature Communications, 4.
- Smith KA, Noël E, Thurlings I, Rehmann H, Chocron S & Bakkers J (2011) Bmp and Nodal Independently Regulate lefty1 Expression to Maintain Unilateral Nodal Activity during Left-Right Axis Specification in Zebrafish. PLoS Genetics, 7(9). View this article in WRRO