Professor Andrea Genovese
Head of Operations Management and Decision Sciences Division
Professor of Logistics and Supply Chain Management
+44 114 222 3347
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Andrea Genovese is a Professor of Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Sheffield University Management School (SUMS). He joined SUMS in February 2010, working first as a Research Associate, then as a Lecturer and as a Senior Lecturer.
Andrea holds a PhD in the area of Operational Research from University of Naples "Federico II" (Italy). His education also includes a MSc (with BSc) in Industrial Engineering from the same institution and a Master in Business Administration (MBA) at the Whittemore School of Business and Economics of University of New Hampshire (USA).
Prior to his PhD, he has worked as Logistics Central Planner for a MNE operating in the tyres industry.
His primary research interest lies in the development and application of decision support methodologies (based on both qualitative and quantitative paradigms) in order to solve complex problems in the field of Supply Chain Management, with a special emphasis on Environmental and Social Sustainability of Logistics and Production Systems.
He has published several papers in leading international journals (such as Omega, International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Expert Systems with Applications, European Journal of Operational Research, International Journal of Operations and Production Management).
He has acted as a committee member of several international conferences (including EWGLA 2010, ISAHP 2011, IPSERA 2012, ISOLDE 2014, ISAHP 2016). He has been involved in several research projects funded by national and international bodies.
Andrea is also delivering training and consultancy activities within the Logistics and Supply Chain Management (LSCM) Research Centre at the University of Sheffield.
- Research interests
Andrea is currently leading serving as a Principal Investigator for the following international projects:
- “Promoting Sustainable Freight Transport in Urban Contexts: Policy and Decision-Making Approaches (ProSFeT)”, funded by the H2020-MSCA-RISE-2016 scheme, dealing with the transfer of knowledge for the implementation of Sustainable Urban Logistics solutions.
- “Realising the Transition towards a Circular Economy: Models, Methods and Applications (ReTraCE)” funded by the H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018 scheme, dealing with the development of a doctoral training network for facilitating the implementation of restorative and regenerative industrial systems across Europe.
His research interests include, but are not limited to:
- Decision Support Methodologies for Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Environmental and Social Sustainability in Supply Chains and Production Systems
- Multi-Criteria Decision Making methodologies (theory and application)
- The circular economy at a crossroads: Technocratic eco-modernism or convivial technology for social revolution?. Capitalism Nature Socialism.
- Hydrogen vehicles in urban logistics: A total cost of ownership analysis and policy implications. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. View this article in WRRO
- Lorry park selection criteria and drivers’ preferences : a study from the UK. Sustainability, 11(19). View this article in WRRO
- Examining the relationship between energy poverty and measures of deprivation. Energy Policy, 130, 206-217. View this article in WRRO
- Improving reverse supply chain performance: The role of supply chain leadership and governance mechanisms. Journal of Cleaner Production, 216, 42-55. View this article in WRRO
- Supply chain leadership: A systematic literature review and a research agenda. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Energy Efﬁciency: Barriers and Solutions towards Environmental Integrity and Well-being Policies. Journal of Environmental Accounting and Management, 7(2), 117-120.
- Multi-Criteria Decision Making for public sector management: Bridging the gap between theory and practice. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 68, 100651-100651.
- Pollution responsibility allocation in supply networks: A game-theoretic approach and a case study. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- An empirical investigation into students' experience of fuel poverty. Energy Policy, 120, 228-237. View this article in WRRO
- A unified cooperative model for environmental costs in supply chains: the Shapley value for the linear case. Annals of Operations Research. View this article in WRRO
- A Quantitative Model for Environmentally Sustainable Supply Chain Performance Measurement. European Journal of Operational Research, 269(1), 188-205. View this article in WRRO
- A decision support system to improve performances of airport check-in services. Soft Computing. View this article in WRRO
- Structure-integration relationships in oil and gas supply chains. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-Criteria Decision-Making: advances in theory and applications—an introduction to the special issue. Soft Computing, 22(22), 7313-7314.
- Assessing redundancies in environmental performance measures for supply chains. Journal of Cleaner Production, 167, 1290-1302. View this article in WRRO
- Energy policy under austerity localism: what role for local authorities?. Local Government Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Measuring the environmental sustainability performance of global supply chains: A multi-regional input-output analysis for carbon, sulphur oxide and water footprints. Journal of Environmental Management, 187, 571-585. View this article in WRRO
- Comparing linear and circular supply chains: A case study from the construction industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 183(B), 443-457. View this article in WRRO
- Sustainable supply chain management and the transition towards a circular economy: Evidence and some applications. Omega, 66(B), 344-357. View this article in WRRO
- Redistricting decisions for local government rationalization: Models and applications. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. View this article in WRRO
- Integrated hybrid life cycle assessment and supply chain environmental profile evaluations of leadbased (lead zirconate titanate) versus lead-free (potassium sodium niobate) piezoelectric ceramics. Energy and Environmental Science, 9(11), 3495-3520. View this article in WRRO
- Capacity management in public service facility networks: a model, computational tests and a case study. Optimization Letters, 10(5), 975-995. View this article in WRRO
- Location analysis for public sector decision-making in uncertain times: An introduction to the special issue. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 53, 2-3. View this article in WRRO
- Applying supplier selection methodologies in a multi-stakeholder environment: A case study and a critical assessment. Expert Systems with Applications, 43, 271-285. View this article in WRRO
- Institutions and facility mergers in the Italian education system: Models and case studies. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 53, 23-32. View this article in WRRO
- An application of hybrid life cycle assessment as a decision support framework for green supply chains. International Journal of Production Research, 21(53), 6495-6521. View this article in WRRO
- Developing sustainable supply chains in the UK construction industry: A case study. International Journal of Production Economics, 164, 271-284.
- A model for aircraft evaluation to support strategic decisions. Expert Systems with Applications, 42(13), 5580-5590. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring the challenges in implementing supplier environmental performance measurement models: a case study. Production Planning & Control, 25(13-14), 1198-1211.
- The capacitated Lot Sizing model: A powerful tool for logistics decision making. International Journal of Production Economics, 155, 380-390. View this article in WRRO
- Benchmarking carbon emissions performance in supply chains. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 19(3), 306-321. View this article in WRRO
- A historical perspective on location problems. BSHM Bulletin, 29(2), 83-97.
- Greener Supplier Selection: State-of-the-Art and Empirical Evidence. International Journal of Production Research.
- Energy efficiency retrofitting services supply chains: Evidence about stakeholders and configurations from the Yorskhire and Humber region case. International Journal of Production Economics.
- AHP-based approaches for supplier evaluation: Problems and perspectives. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 18(3), 159-172.
- View this article in WRRO Special Issue on Advances in Sustainable Supply Chain Management Theory and Practice: an Introduction to the Special Issue. International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, 3(3), 171-174.
- An extension of the schedule optimization problem at a public transit terminal to the multiple destinations case. Public Transport, 3(3), 189-198.
- Applications of agent-based models for optimization problems: A literature review.. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(5), 6020-6028.
- Decarbonising product supply chains: Design and development of an integrated evidence-based decision support system – the supply chain environmental analysis tool (SCEnAT). International Journal of Production Research.
- Biofuels and their potential to aid the UK towards achieving emissions reduction policy targets. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(7), 5414-5422.
- A Spatial Interaction Model for the Representation of the Mobility of University Students on the Italian Territory. Networks and Spatial Economics, 12(1), 41-57.
- Using FAHP to determine the criteria for partner's selection within a green supply chain: The case of hand tool industry in Taiwan. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 23(1), 25-55.
- A Critical Analysis of Current Indexes for Digital Divide Measurement. INFORM SOC, 27(1), 16-28.
- Routing problems: A historical perspective. BSHM Bulletin, 26(2), 118-127.
- An agent-based framework for solving an equity location problem. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 6682 LNAI, 486-494.
- An Agent-Based framework for modeling and solving location problems. TOP, 18(1), 81-96.
- A Spatial Interaction Model for the Representation of the Mobility of University Students on the Italian Territory. Networks and Spatial Economics, 1-17.
- A mathematical model for the optimization of the airport check-in service problem. Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics, 36(C), 703-710.
- A Location Model for the Reorganization of a School System: The Italian Case Study (pp. 96-105). Elsevier BV View this article in WRRO
- The Analytical Hierarchy Process in the Supplier Selection Process. In Passaro R & Thomas A (Ed.), Supply Chain Management: Perspectives, Issues and Cases
- The effect of merger and acquisitions on the IS function: An overview and a potential agent-based approach, Inter-Organizational Information Systems and Business Management: Theories for Researchers (pp. 157-168).
- The Supplier Selection process in a Supply Chain Management evolutionary view In Sweeney E (Ed.), Supply Chain Management and Logistics in a Volatile Global Environment (pp. 127-141). Dublin, Ireland: Blackhall Publishing.
Conference proceedings papers
- An Optimization Model for the Outbound Truck Scheduling Problem at Cross-Docking Platforms. Optimization and Decision Science: Methodologies and Applications, Vol. 217 (pp 601-610), 4 September 2017 - 7 September 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Proceedings of the XVIII Euro Working Group on Locational Analysis
- Proceedings of the XIII ISOLDE Meeting. Naples, Italy
- An Analysis of the multi-criteria index for quality of life measurement in Italy. OR53 Keynotes and Short Papers - 53rd Conference of the Operational Research Society 2011 (pp 59-64)
- View this article in WRRO A Hybrid AHP/FST Model for Regional Aircraft Evaluation. International Symposium on the Analytic Hierarchy Process. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 23 June 2013 - 26 June 2013.
- Benchmarking the Supply Chain in Public Procurement: A Case Study of Energy Efficiency Retrofitting. Proceedings of British Academy of Management Conference. Belfast, UK, 9 September 2014 - 11 September 2014.
- View this article in WRRO The Analytic Hierarchy Process in the Supplier Selection Problem. Proceedings of the ISAHP 2009 International Symposium on “Decision Making with the Analytic Hierarch. Pittsburgh, USA, 29 July 2009 - 1 August 2009.
- Towards a Theoretical Framework for Evaluating Approaches to ‘Greening’ the Supply Chain. Supply Chain Management and Information Systems (SCMIS), 2010 9th International Conference on, Vol. 1. School of Management, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, 14 July 2012 - 18 July 2012.
- View this article in WRRO BIG Energy Upgrade: Local Authorities procurement practices in implementing housing stock energy efficiency retrofit services
- View this article in WRRO Promoting the Green Deal to low income communities: Initial insights from Yorkshire & The Humber
- View this article in WRRO Fuel Poverty: Perspectives from the front line
- View this article in WRRO BIG Energy Upgrade: Procurement and Supply Chain report – Green Deal and Energy Efficiency Retrofitting Supply Chains Delivery
- View this article in WRRO Regional Supply Chain for Energy Efficiency Measures to Retrofit to Existing Housing - Scoping Study for the Yorkshire and Humberside Region - Final Report
- Teaching activities
Andrea is actively involved in developing and delivering modules for the MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, being the Module Leader for MGT6084 (Logistics Systems), MGT6085 (Global Supply Chain Leadership), MGT6155 (Supply Networks Management).
In all the modules he leads, Andrea explores the usage of decision-making methodologies for solving complex problems in the field of logistics and supply chain management, utilising, to a large extent, software tools and technology.
He is an advocate of problem-based and research-led teaching.
Andrea is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), and his teaching approaches have been included as an example of best-practice in the HEA toolkit for early career lecturers.
- Professional activities
- Andrea has been serving as a director for the MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management from 2014 to 2015.
- From September 2015 to August 2017, he has been serving as the Divisional Director for Research and Impact within the Operations Management and Decision Sciences division.
- Since September 2017, Andrea has been leading the Operations Management and Decision Sciences division of the Management School.