Dr Chris Stride
Senior Lecturer (Statistician)
+44 114 222 3262
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
As an applied statistician Chris researches and publishes across a wide range of social science disciplines.
He has particularly developed skills in the analysis of complex multilevel and longitudinal data, and is an expert user of statistical software packages SPSS, Mplus and R.
He is especially interested in the use of statistical methods to support and add rigour to research in areas where advanced quantitative analysis would typically be considered an anathema.
Alongside his research and teaching within IWP and more widely within SUMS, Chris has carried out statistical consultancy projects and advanced methods training for a wide variety of public and private sector organisations around the world.
- Research interests
Specific projects that Chris is currently working on include:
- The effects of perfectionism on well-being
- Cheating in sport; is it a team, individual or circumstantial act?
- From pitch to plinth; a study of statues of sportsmen and sportswomen.
- The psychology of nostalgia and the use of nostalgia branding
- The effect of the built environment and residential outdoor space upon well-being in older people
- Introduction to Bayesian Analysis using Mplus. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Testing for Mediation and Moderation using SPSS. Sheffield: Figure It Out/Falcon Training.
- Testing for Mediation and Moderation using Mplus. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Multilevel Modelling using Mplus. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Latent Growth Curve Modelling using Mplus. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Advanced SPSS Syntax and SPSS Macros. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Multilevel Modelling using SPSS. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Introduction to Structural Equation Modelling using Mplus. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Data Management using SPSS syntax. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Scale construction: EFA, CFA and reliability analysis. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Multiple Regression Analysis using SPSS. Falcon Training/Figure It Out, Sheffield.
- Measures of Job Satisfaction, Organisational Commitment, Mental Health and Job related Well-being. Wiley-Interscience.
- Measures of Job Satisfaction, Mental Health and Job Related Well-Being; A Bench-Marking Manual. University of Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- Relating landscape ecological metrics with public survey data on perceived landscape quality and place attachment. Landscape Ecology. View this article in WRRO
- N-of-1 trial of a statin, placebo, or no treatment to assess side effects. New England Journal of Medicine.
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy for treatment resistant depression: 18-month follow-up of the Halifax depression trial. Journal of Affective Disorders, 273, 194-202. View this article in WRRO
- Enrichment Between Leisure and Work via Psychological Resources: A Daily Diary. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2020(1), 12140-12140.
- The perfect recovery? Interactive influence of perfectionism and spillover work tasks on changes in exhaustion and mood around a vacation.. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Defining the assessment and treatment competencies to deliver low-intensity cognitive behavior therapy : a multi-center validation study. Behavior Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- Campylobacter infection and household factors are associated with childhood growth in urban Bangladesh : an analysis of the MAL-ED study. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 14(5). View this article in WRRO
- The relationship between leisure activities and psychological resources that support a sustainable career: The role of leisure seriousness and work-leisure similarity. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 117. View this article in WRRO
- Individual Differences in Self-Affirmation: Distinguishing Self-Affirmation from Positive Self-Regard. Self and Identity, 18(6), 589-630. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanisms underlying social gradients in child and adolescent antisocial behaviour. SSM - Population Health, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Shirt tales: how adults adopted the replica football kit. Sport in History. View this article in WRRO
- Job crafting revisited: Implications of an extended framework for active changes at work. Journal of Applied Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Why do drivers become safer over the first three months of driving? A longitudinal qualitative study. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 117, 225-231. View this article in WRRO
- Basic Psychological Need Satisfaction, Recovery State, and Recovery Timing. Human Performance, 31(2), 125-143. View this article in WRRO
- The art of face-saving and culture-changing: sculpting Chinese football’s past, present and future. Sport in Society. View this article in WRRO
- Tension in the union of art and sport: Competition for ownership of the baseball statuary and its influence upon design. NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture, 24(1-2), 1-28. View this article in WRRO
- Thriving when exhausted: The role of perceived transformational leadership. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 103(B), 41-51. View this article in WRRO
- Relationships between two dimensions of employee perfectionism, postwork cognitive processing, and work day functioning. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 27(1), 56-69. View this article in WRRO
- Prospective evaluation of quality of life in children treated in UKALL 2003 for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: A cohort study. Paediatric Blood and Cancer, 64(11). View this article in WRRO
- Does job insecurity threaten who you are? Introducing a social identity perspective to explain well‐being and performance consequences of job insecurity. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38(6), 856-875. View this article in WRRO
- Commemorating tragic heroes: statuary of soccer players who died mid-career. Soccer and Society. View this article in WRRO
- A randomised controlled trial of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy for treatment resistant depression: the Halifax Depression Study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 214, 15-25. View this article in WRRO
- Which Factors Are Associated with Monitoring Goal Progress?. Frontiers in Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- A statistical model to describe longitudinal and correlated metabolic risk factors: the Whitehall II prospective study.. J Public Health (Oxf), 38(4), 679-687. View this article in WRRO
- Effectiveness of a smartphone app in increasing physical activity amongst male adults: a randomised controlled trial.. BMC Public Health, 16. View this article in WRRO
- Brand community, loyalty and promise in myfootballclub.co.uk. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal, 6(2), 137-157. View this article in WRRO
- Ethical consumption behaviours in supermarket shoppers: determinants and marketing implications. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8), 777-805.
- A longitudinal study of well-being, confidence and competence in junior doctors and the impact of emergency medicine placements. Emergency Medicine Journal, 33(2), 91-98. View this article in WRRO
- From Sportswear to Leisurewear: The Evolution of English Football League Shirt Design in the Replica Kit Era. Sport in History, 35(1), 156-194. View this article in WRRO
- Income gradients within child and adolescent antisocial behaviours. British Journal of Psychiatry, 207(5), 385-391. View this article in WRRO
- Standing Out from the Crowd: Imaging Baseball Fans through Sculpture. International Journal of the History of Sport, 32(14). View this article in WRRO
- Validity of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in Preschool-Aged Children. PEDIATRICS, 135(5), e1210-e1219. View this article in WRRO
- Institutions and social entrepreneurship: The role of institutional voids, institutional support, and institutional configurations. Journal of International Business Studies, 46(3), 308-331. View this article in WRRO
- Socioeconomic status and antisocial behaviour among children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 35, 47-55. View this article in WRRO
- The Junior Doctor Training Journey: a longitudinal study of change in confidence, competence and well-being and the impact of Emergency Medicine Placements. Emergency Medical Journal.
- The Apprentice: How to be hired, not fired. Significance, 12(2), 20-24. View this article in WRRO
- Bed of roses? The role of garden space in older people's well-being. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Urban Design and Planning, 168(4), 164-173. View this article in WRRO
- Ballplayer or Barrier Breaker? Branding Through the Seven Statues of Jackie Robinson. The International Journal of the History of Sport. View this article in WRRO
- An evaluation of foundation doctor training: a mixed-methods study of the impact on workforce well-being and patient care [the Evaluating the Impact of Doctors in Training (EDiT) study. Health Services Delivery Research, 1(15). View this article in WRRO
- Honouring heroes by branding in bronze: theorizing the UK's football statuary. Sport in Society, 16(6), 749-771. View this article in WRRO
- Using the theory of planned behavior to explore environmental behavioral intentions in the workplace. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 34, 109-120. View this article in WRRO
- Negative safety events as correlates of work-safety tension. Safety Science, 53, 45-50. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluating the built environment in inpatient psychiatric wards. Psychiatric Services, 64(8), 789-795. View this article in WRRO
- From pitch to plinth: documenting the UK’s football statuary. Sculpture Journal, 22(1), 146-160. View this article in WRRO
- Dimensions of employee privacy: An empirical study. Information Technology and People, 25(4), 376-394. View this article in WRRO
- The Knowledge Networks of Higher Education Institutions: An Analysis By Type and Location. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 24(7-8), 475-502. View this article in WRRO
- Social gradients in child and adolescent antisocial behavior: a systematic review protocol.. Syst Rev, 1, 38. View this article in WRRO
- Can employees be emotionally drained by witnessing unpleasant interactions between co-workers? A diary study on induced emotion regulation.. Work & Stress, 26(2), 112-129. View this article in WRRO
- Reasons for binge drinking among undergraduate students: An application of behavioural reasoning theory.. Br J Health Psychol, 17(4), 682-698. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Modelling Stadium Statue Subject Choice in US Baseball and English Football. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, 8(1), 1-36.
- Employee Innovation Behaviours: The development of a measure. Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Personal and Team Morale in Health Services: Distinctive and Measurable Concepts. Journal of Health Management, 14(4), 535-557. View this article in WRRO
- Resource determinants of strategy and performance: The case of British exporters. Journal of World Business, 47(4), 635-647. View this article in WRRO
- Job Design and the Employee Innovation Process: The Mediating Role of Learning Strategies. Journal of Business and Psychology, 27(2), 177-191. View this article in WRRO
- Patient affect experiencing following therapist interventions in short-term dynamic psychotherapy. Psychotherapy Research, 22(2), 208-219. View this article in WRRO
- Job Demands-Control-Support model and employee safety performance. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 45, 811-817. View this article in WRRO
- A pragmatic quasi-experimental multi-site community intervention trial evaluating the impact of Emergency Care Practitioners in different UK health settings on patient pathways (NEECaP Trial).. Emerg Med J, 29(1), 47-53. View this article in WRRO
- A new model of job design: Initial evidence and implications for future research. Human Factors and Ergonomics In Manufacturing, 22(3), 197-212. View this article in WRRO
- Emotion Regulation of Others and Self (EROS): The Development and Validation of a New Individual Difference Measure. CURR PSYCHOL, 30(1), 53-73. View this article in WRRO
- Good places for ageing in place: development of objective built environment measures for investigating links with older people's wellbeing.. BMC Public Health, 11, 839. View this article in WRRO
- HRM in Mozambique: Homogenization, path dependence or segmented business system?. Journal of World Business, 46(1), 31-41. View this article in WRRO
- Comparing perceived injustices from supervisors and romantic partners as predictors of aggression.. J Occup Health Psychol, 15(4), 359-370. View this article in WRRO
- Transformational leadership and employee safety performance: a within-person, between-jobs design.. J Occup Health Psychol, 15(3), 279-290. View this article in WRRO
- Psychometric properties of the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture: Findings from the UK. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 19(5). View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Demands, control, supportive relationships and well-being amongst British mental health workers. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 1-14.
- Criteria for a tournament: the World Professional Snooker Championship. J OPER RES SOC, 60(12), 1670-1673. View this article in WRRO
- Measures of Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, Mental Health, and Job-Related Well-Being: A Benchmark Manual (2nd edition) by Chris Stride, Toby D. Wall, and Nick Catley. Personnel Psychology, 62(2), 456-459.
- Opening the black box: A multi-method analysis of an enterprise resource planning implementation. Journal of Information Technology, 24(1), 81-102. View this article in WRRO
- Perceived organizational support for safety and employee safety voice: the mediating role of coworker support for safety.. J Occup Health Psychol, 13(4), 319-330. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling mode of trial. British Journal of Criminology, 48(4), 482-501. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO The impact of human resource and operational management practices on company productivity: A longitudinal study. PERS PSYCHOL, 61(3), 467-501.
- Work characteristics, musculoskeletal disorders, and the mediating role of psychological strain: a study of call center employees.. J Appl Psychol, 92(5), 1456-1466. View this article in WRRO
- Management of obesity in primary care: nurses' practices, beliefs and attitudes.. J Adv Nurs, 59(4), 329-341. View this article in WRRO
- Effects of upward feedback on leadership behaviour toward subordinates. Journal of Management Development, 26(3), 228-238. View this article in WRRO
- Use of a safety climate questionnaire in UK health care: factor structure, reliability and usability.. Qual Saf Health Care, 15(5), 347-353. View this article in WRRO
- The effectiveness of idea capture schemes. International Journal of Innovation Management(3), 325-350. View this article in WRRO
- THE EFFECTIVENESS OF IDEA CAPTURE SCHEMES. International Journal of Innovation Management, 10(03), 325-350.
- Human resource management and performance in UK call centres. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 44(1), 99-124. View this article in WRRO
- HRQOL implications of treatment with dexamethasone for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 46(1), 35-39. View this article in WRRO
- Factors influencing agreement between child self-report and parent proxy-reports on the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory™ 4.0 (PedsQL™) generic core scales. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 4(1). View this article in WRRO
- Quality of life in children newly diagnosed with cancer and their mothers.. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 3, 29. View this article in WRRO
- Leadership Behavior and Subordinate Well-Being. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 9(2), 165-175. View this article in WRRO
- Revisiting the use and effectiveness of modern management practices. HUM FACTOR ERGON MAN, 14(4), 415-432. View this article in WRRO
- Familiarity breeds content: The impact of exposure to change on employee openness and well-being. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 75(2), 217-231. View this article in WRRO
- An international survey of the use and effectiveness of modern manufacturing practices. Human Factors and Ergonomics In Manufacturing, 12(2), 171-191. View this article in WRRO
- Psychometric properties of the Community Mental Health Team effectiveness questionnaire (CMHTEQ). Journal of Mental Health, 10(2), 213-222. View this article in WRRO
- Quality of life implications as a consequence of surgery: limb salvage, primary and secondary amputation.. Sarcoma, 5(4), 189-195. View this article in WRRO
- Measures of perceived work characteristics for health services research: Test of a measurement model and normative data. British Journal of Health Psychology, 4(3), 257-275. View this article in WRRO
- Psychological morbidity and job satisfaction in hospital consultants and junior house officers: Multicentre, cross sectional survey. British Medical Journal, 317(7157), 511-512. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Fitting a normal distribution when the model is wrong. ANN I STAT MATH, 49(4), 601-614.
- Patterns and predictors of change in energy and mood around a vacation from the workplace: Distinguishing the effects of supplemental work activity and work-related perseverative cognition. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Why are newly qualified motorists at high crash risk? Modelling driving behaviours across the first six months of driving. Accident Analysis and Prevention.
- Multiagency safeguarding arrangements during and beyond the Covid‐19 pandemic: Identifying shared learning. Child Abuse Review. View this article in WRRO
- Managing Your Feelings at Work, for a Reason: The Role of Individual Motives in Affect Regulation for Performance-Related Outcomes at Work. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Retaining Women in Male-Dominated Occupations across Cultures: The Role of Supervisor Support and Psychological Safety. Human Performance.
- Understanding the relationship between family income and conduct problems. Findings from the Mental Health of Children and Young People Survey. Psychological Medicine.
- Integrating recreation into National Forest Inventories – Results from a forest visitor survey in winter and summer. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism.
- Understanding risk factors for disordered eating symptomatology in athletes: a prospective study. PLoS ONE.
- Daily Effects of Face-to-face and Cyber Incivility via Sadness, Anger and Fear. Work and Stress.
- Human resource management practices and organizational injury rates. Journal of Safety Research.
- The efficacy of interactive group psychoeducation for children with leukaemia: A randomised controlled trial. Patient Education and Counseling.
- Observer Reactions to Workplace Mistreatment: It's a Matter of Perspective. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology.
- Crossover trial of statin, placebo and no treatment to verify side effect patterns and origins. Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
- The Anger-Depression Mechanism in Dynamic Therapy: Experiencing Previously Avoided Anger Positively Predicts Reduction in Depression via Working Alliance and Insight. Journal of Counseling Psychology.
- Movable, removable - or immovable? Baseball statues and ballpark relocation In Ramshaw G & Gammon S (Ed.), Baseball and Heritage: People, Place, and Promotion (pp. 198-223). University Press of Florida
- The art of face-saving and culture-changing: sculpting Chinese football's past, present and future, Interrelationships Between Sport and the Arts (pp. 87-112). Routledge
- Standing Out from the Crowd: Imaging Baseball Fans through Sculpture, Sport in the Americas (pp. 5-35). Routledge
- From sportswear to leisurewear: the evolution of English Football League shirt design in the replica kit era In Williams J (Ed.), Kit: Fashioning The Body for Sport
- The Thierry Henry statue: a hollow icon In Sandle D, Long J, Parry J & Spracklen K (Ed.), Fields of Vision: The Arts In Sport Leisure Studies
- Probing deeper into the hospital survey on patient safety culture using item response theory In Albolini S, Bagnare S, Bellani T, Llaneza J, Rosal G & Tartaglia R (Ed.), Healthcare Systems Ergonomics and Patient Safety 2011—An alliance between Professionals and Citizens for Patient Safety and Quality of Life (pp. 615-620). CRC Press
- The Boss in Bronze: Three Statues of Brian Clough In Haxall D (Ed.), Picturing the Beautiful Game Bloomsbury Academic
Conference proceedings papers
- Impact of collective affect on employee voice at onset of crisis : a social identity perspective. Academy of Management Proceedings, Vol. 2022(1). Seattle, WA, USA, 4 August 2022 - 10 August 2022.
- Identification of enteric pathogen reservoirs and transmission pathways associated with childhood growth in the urban Indian, and rural Bangladesh sites of the Global Enteric Multicenter Study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol. 99(4) (pp 660-660), 28 October 2019 - 1 November 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Qualitatively different enteric pathogen reservoirs and transmission pathways are associated with childhood growth in the Kenyan and Gambian sites; an analyses of the Global Enteric Multicenter Study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol. 99(4) (pp 641-641), 28 October 2018 - 1 November 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Campylobacter jejuni infection and household-level factors are associated with childhood growth in Mirpur, Bangladesh: An analysis of the MAL-ED Study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol. 99(4) (pp 593-593), 28 October 2018 - 1 November 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Walking in the Wild – Using an Always-on Smartphone Application to Increase Physical Activity. International Federation for Information Processing Conference on Human-Computer Interaction 2013, Vol. 4 (pp 19-36)
- Probing deeper into the hospital survey on patient safety culture using item response theory. HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS ERGONOMICS AND PATIENT SAFETY 2011: AN ALLIANCE BETWEEN PROFESSIONALS AND CITIZENS FOR PATIENT SAFETY AND QUALITY OF LIFE (pp 615-620)
- Emotional Intelligence and Burnout in Child and Family Social Work: Implications for policy and practice.
- An evaluation of foundation doctor training: a mixed-methods study of the impact on workforce well-being and patient care [the Evaluating the Impact of Doctors in Training (EDiT) study]
- Psychosocial Impact of Civilian Operational Deployment
- Analysis of the ‘Top 50 Call Centres for Customer Service’ 2010 Data
- Multi-centre Community Intervention Trial to Evaluate the Clinical and Cost Effectiveness of Emergency Care Practitioners
- Employee Opinion Survey Summer 2008
- Raising the game
- Staff Attitude Survey 2007
- Encouraging an increase in the employment of women returners in areas of skill shortages in traditionally male industries
- Staff Attitude Survey 2006
- What are the organisational factors that influence waiting times in Emergency Departments?
- Employee Opinion Survey
- People and Technology: Is HR getting the best out of IT?
- Employee Opinion Survey
- Staff Attitude Survey 2005
- Human Resource Management in Call Centres
- Securing a Successful Prosecution
- Staff Attitude Survey 2004
- Working to Reduce Crime, Disorder and Tension within the Community
- Workplace Stress Survey for Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
- LOM Inner Skills Profile (2003)
- A study of Portfolio Work
- Staff Attitude Survey 2003
- Survey on the working lives of educational psychologists
- The contemporary nature and significance of the external audit function; an empirical survey of ICAEW members
- Employee Opinion Survey: Communication, remuneration, safety, commitment and well-being
- Predicting Box Mark Scores, 2002
- Work-life Balance Survey
- Staff Attitude Survey 2002
- Safety at Rotherham General Hospital
- Union Recognition; Findings from a survey of employers in UK organisations
- The Senior Executives’ Seminar Survey
- Statistical Review of the Rolls-Royce Technology Transfer technical report
- Staff Attitude Survey 2001 Highlights
- The ICI Graduate Development Questionnaire
- Validation of the Work Related Stress Audit
- Analysis of Call Centre Performance Data
- Staff Attitude Survey 2000 Highlights
- Predicting Box Mark Scores
- Does the Business Excellence Model fit Barclays Survey Data?
- Stress Among Staff in NHS Trusts
- Construction of a sectioned question bank for staff surveys
- Barclays Transpay Staff Survey
- Analysis, Revision, and Validation of Barclays Staff Surveys from 1995 to 1997
Software / Code
- Crowd Sourcing: Using Spectator Photographs. Sporting Heritage, Photography and TV Conference , Bradford.
- Warriors, Teamwork and ‘Football Diplomacy’: How China’s Football Statues Symbolise a Developing Football Culture. Worcester.
- Predicting change in depression with Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy for Treatment Resistant Depression. Toronto.
- Restructuring fragility: Results of a Randomised Controlled Trial of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy with Treatment Resistant Depression. London.
- Experiences and exploitation of nostalgia amongst football fans. Popular Culture, Sport and Leisure History Seminar, London.
- Producing Scotland(s): Ancestral Tourism and Diasporic Consumption. Diaspora 2017 Conference (Vancouver, Canada).
- Madchester, so much to answer for: Rave culture as a catalyst for the modern replica kit industry. International Football Conference (Manchester Metropolitan University).
- Job Crafting Revisited: How individual needs and moods differentially influence active changes at work. POS Research Conference (University of Michigan).
- Findings from the Halifax Treatment Resistant Depression Trial. Amsterdam.
- The Efficacy of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy for Treatment Refractory Depression: The Halifax Depression Study. Society for Psychotherapy Research 32nd annual International Conference, Jerusalem.
- Heterogeneity in antisocial behaviour: validating the structure in a representative sample of children and adolescents. Life History Research Society Annual Meeting, Amsterdam.
- Born to Drive? The behavioural genetics of driving behaviour. International Society for Research on Aggression 2016 meeting, Sydney.
- School Teachers' Experiences of the Christmas Vacation: The Role of Work-Related Perseverative Cognition and Psychological Need Fulfilment. IWP International Conference 47th International Conference, Sheffield.
- Modeling causal pathways linking pathogen-specific infection and impaired growth among children in Bangladesh and Kenya. Gates Foundation Conference.
- Football culture as sculpture: an analysis of the world's soccer statues. The Beautiful Game conference, Basel.
- Dressed-up for the cup: was big match fancy-dress the gateway to replica football shirt culture?. Committee for European Sport History annual conference (Leicester).
- Dawn of the Replicas: When and Why Adults Started to Wear Replica Football Shirts. British Society of Sports History annual conference, Edinburgh.
- Is Emotional intelligence training associated with reduced stress and burnout in child and family social workers? Results from a UK randomized control trial. 6th European Conference for Social Work Research, Lisbon.
- Can Emotional Intelligence be trained? Preliminary results from a randomised control trial. International Society for the Study of Individual Differences, London, Ontario.
- Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy for Treatment Refractory Depression: Process and Outcome Findings from the Halifax Depression Study. The Society for Psychotherapy Integration, Dublin.
- View this article in WRRO Commemorating Tragic Heroes: Statuary of Footballers Who Died Mid-Career. Hofstra University, NY.
- Income gradients in child and adolescent conduct problems-the relationship revisited. Life History Research Society Meeting, Pittsburgh.
- Employee Perfectionism: Links to Evening Worry and Rumination About Work, Sleep Quality and Day-Level Burnout and Engagement. IWP International Conference 2014, Sheffield.
- Around the world in eight football statues. Bristol Festival of Football Ideas, Bristol.
- How do people monitor their progress on personal goals?. 17th General Meeting of the European Association of Social Psychology, Amsterdam.
- The Influence of Perfectionism on Employees’ Work Day and Evening Well-Being: A Day-Level Study of British Workers. IWP International Conference 2014, Sheffield.
- Immortalising Football's Fallen: The Statues of Antonio Puerta and Dragan Mance. Football, Culture and Fiction conference, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester.
- Replicas, retro-replicas and all things in between: football shirt design in a climate of decline. British Society of Sports History annual conference, Leeds.
- Prospective evaluation of quality of life (QoL) in children treated in UKALL 2003 for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL): A cohort study. SIOP, Houston.
- Cost-Effectiveness Of Prevention And Screening Of Type 2 Diabetes. NIHR SPHR Conference, London.
- Understanding the Impact of Obesity Stigma on Weight Control Actions: Development of the Thoughts about Body Size (TaBS) Measure in England.. Atlanta, GA.
- Swapping Shirts: A Brief History of English Professional Football Kit Design.. Crewe.
- Walking in the Wild – Using an Always-on Smartphone Application to Increase Physical Activity.
- A Story of English Football in Seven Statues.
- Standing out from the crowd: imaging supporters through sculpture.
- Tension in the union of art and baseball: competition for ownership of the baseball statuary and its influence upon location and design.
- Poverty is the mother of crime? Income gradients in antisocial behaviour.
- Social gradients in child and adolescent antisocial behaviour. What have income inequalities got to do with it?.
- Living in the World of Inequalities: Income gradients in child and adolescent antisocial behaviour.
- Modelling Stadium Statue Subject Choice in US Baseball and English Football. Royal Statistical Society Local Group (GetStats Event), Leeds.
- Football statues: honouring heroes by branding in bronze.
- The Thierry Henry statue: a hollow icon.
- You don't build statues to fleeting love affairs': preserving and mythologizing the UK’s sporting heroes.
- The seven statues of Jackie Robinson.
- Sporting Statues in the City: Honouring Heroes or Civic Branding?.
- Honouring heroes by branding in bronze.
- How to get from pitch to plinth: the statistics of stadium statues.
- Evaluating Well-Being In Junior Doctors: Impact Of Emergency Medicine.
- Confidence And Experience In Junior Doctors: Assessing The Impact Of Emergency Medicine (EM).
- Good places for ageing in place.
- Workplace aggression amongst mental-health workers.
- Draining the Pool: Why Witnessing Unpleasant Interactions Is Emotionally Exhausting.
- How to Get From Pitch To Plinth: Modelling Statue Subject Choice In US Baseball And English Soccer.
- Cheating In Football: Team culture, player behaviour, or just a question of circumstance.
- You want to work where? Civil Servants in War Zones.
- From pitch to plinth; a study of the UK’s football statues.
- Cheating In Association Football: Team culture, Player Behaviour, Or Just A Question Of Circumstance?.
- Cheating In Association Football: Team culture, Player Behaviour, Or Just A Question Of Circumstance?.
- From pitch to plinth; a study of the UK’s football statues.
- Manipulating Files: An Application To Multilevel Cheating Data From The 2010 Football World Cup.
- Transformational Leadership and Employee Safety Performance: A Within-Person Between-Job Design. Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Which negative safety events predict employee barriers to safe working?.
- Cheating In Football: Team culture, player behaviour, or just a question of circumstance.
- Exploring Leader-Member Exchange from the broader social context: An examination of the interaction between individual LMX and team LMX in explaining well-being outcomes over time.
- Leader-subordinate exchange.
- What’s in ‘the black box’? Examining different mediators of the effect of HRM on employees’ attitudes and behaviours.
- View this article in WRRO Job Demands-Control-Support Model and Employee Safety Performance.
- Multilevel Modelling using SPSS. Workshop at EAWOP Conference.
- A Tail Of Two Tails: The Masters Conundrum: a showcase panel discussion on teaching statistics to Masters students.
- Employee innovation behaviors: The development of a measure.
- Resource determinants of export performance.
- Psychometric Properties of the Hospital Survey on Patient Safety.
- Testing a circular and dynamic model of job design.
- Swapping Shirts: A Brief History of English Professional Football Kit Design. British Society of Sports History Annual Conference.
- Assessing the usefulness of a safety climate questionnaire in UK healthcare. Meeting diversity in ergonomics.
- Call centre work: Psychosocial risk factors and neck pain.
- Idea capturing: Suggestion schemes at work.
- Individual innovation behaviours: the development of a measure and examination of antecedents.
- Fashion Parade (in When Saturday Comes magazine)(355), 31-32.
- Statuesque strikers: how football fell in love with figurative sculpture (in The Conversation magazine).
- Standing Strong (in When Saturday Comes magazine)(328), 11-11.
- Bronze Boundary Markers (in The Cricket Statistician magazine)(164).
- Striking a pose: the spread of football statues (in When Saturday Comes magazine)(294), 36-37.
- Research group
Title: Identifying the mechanisms linking socioeconomic status and child antisocial behaviour
- Nuffield Foundation
Title: Reducing newly-qualified driver crash risk: Identifying behavioural targets
- Awarding body: MRC
- Date: 2016-2018
Title: EDiT (Evaluation of Junior Doctors in Training)
- Awarding body: SDO
- Date: 2008-2011
- Teaching activities
Chris is strongly committed to furthering the statistical knowledge and practical analysis skills of both students and academics.
He believes it to be essential to improving both the rigour of social science research generally, and the potential for department members to publish high quality research in the best journals.
He currently teaches multivariate statistics modules MGT6167 and PSY6010 in semester 1; advanced multivariate statistics module PSY6210 in semester 2, and a 3-day course for both M.Sc Occupational Psychology and M.Res Psychology students in the use of SPSS statistical software to manage and analyse data.
Chris aims to teach the techniques and interpretation first, so they are understood before the complementary but distinct skill of using the software to run analyses is mastered.
He also runs day-schools in Data Management, Multilevel Modelling and Structural Equation Modelling as part of the Social Science Faculty DTC Advanced Quantitative Methods module for Social Science postgraduate students from the White Rose DTC.
In addition Chris offers a Statistics Clinic for postgraduate students from the Sheffield University Management School; this is held every Friday am.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- Professional activities
I have performed statistical consultancy for a wide range of public and private sector organisations, including Barclays Bank, the Department for Education, and the NHS.
I have also acted as an expert advisor to national government data collection projects, including the English Housing Survey.
I have provided advanced methods training at over 100 UK, European, American and Australian universities; at international conferences; and as public courses.
- Chartered Statistician and Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Chartered Scientist
- ASSESS (UK SPSS Users’ Group) Committee member and Trainer
- British Society of Sport History Committee member and webmaster
- Associate Editor: Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports