Professor Lenny Koh
BEng(Hons), PhD, FRSA
Cross Cutting Chief, Strategic Futures on Resource Sustainability (SCRS)
Director, Advanced Resource Efficiency Centre (AREC)
Chair, Operations Management
Founding Director, Logistics and Supply Chain Management (LSCM) Research Centre
Director, Centre for Energy, Environment and Sustainability (CEES)
Head of Communication, Partnership and Internationalization, The University of Sheffield Energy Institute
+44 114 222 3395
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Professor Lenny Koh, BEng (Hons), PhD, FRSA, is a Chair Professor in Operations Management, Founders and Directors of the Logistics and Supply Chain Management (LSCM) Research Centre at the Management School & the Faculty’s Centre for Energy, Environment and Sustainability (CEES), at The University of Sheffield, UK. She is also the co-founder of Supply Chain Management and Information Systems (SCMIS) Consortium, a global network of leading academic and practitioners driving research and knowledge exchange on supply chain and information systems. A World leading mind recognised amongst FRSs and Nobel Laureates within the University, Professor Koh is a Senior Chair Professor, an internationally renowned and established authority in supply chain especially on low carbon and sustainability, with a high H-index (World number 2) and high research income generation in her discipline internationally. She is active in leading a 2022 Futures initiative advancing resource efficiency and supply chain disciplines, navigating a new translational model for connecting invention/basic science at lower TRL to higher TRL.
- Research interests
Professor Koh’s work is world leading with its novelty; and has generated major impact onto society, industry and government. Her research intersects supply chain and information sciences for resource efficiency and sustainability. Her work is multi- and inter- disciplinary, crosses supply chain, information systems, energy, engineering, social science and science disciplines in understanding todays and futures complex supply chain problems induced by climate change and uncertainty. She has pioneered and led many large scale, complex, multi partners, multi- and inter- disciplinary projects successfully. These are funded by EPSRC, ESRC, EU, TSB and other key external bodies in the UK, Europe and internationally. For instance, she pioneers and leads the £1million low carbon supply chain life cycle analysis research which produced a cloud hosted Supply Chain Environment Analysis Tool (SCEnAT), used by SMEs and large corporates. She also pioneers and directs the £15million BIG Energy Upgrade (Energy Innovation for Deprived Communities – the biggest such project nationally) which focuses on reducing CO2, stimulates supply chain and improves energy efficiency for the most deprived communities. She also leads and involves in the EPSRC funded materials substitution and sustainability (£3,113,335), ESRC funded TRANSFER (£326,000), EU funded PreSS (£517,000), EU funded SCOT (£2.5million), TSB funded liquid air nitrogen economic assessment (£200,000), MOD funded defence support and logistics with QinetiQ/dstl - resilience (£3million), and EPSRC funded transport systems catapult (£620,580). She is also a University of Sheffield’s Principal Investigators (PIs) of the €60million Centre for Low Carbon Futures (CLCF) ‘low carbon supply chain’ research strand and Coordinator of the Carbon Management theme which incorporates energy, bio renewable and supply chain; a White Rose Sustainability Science Network (including low carbon transport with impact on energy/electricity grid), £15million European energy innovation for deprived communities (BIG Energy Upgrade), £234,080 EPSRC energy efficient building and supply chain, £30k YF energy efficiency and retrofitting supply chain, environmental mapping and energy supply chains (including oil and gas), EU funded FP7 Agrifood value chain, EPSRC funded BIG Energy Upgrade network focuses on fuel poverty, DECC funded Green Deal Pioneer Places Scheme, and EPSRC and various funded researches working on a range of research projects ranging from understanding of supply chain embodied CO2 using SCEnAT which embeds the most advanced hybrid LCA-IO methodology; through to developing indicators, energy, risk and poverty GIS maps for fuel poverty and energy supply chain, supply chain carbon maps, noise contour maps for aviation, SEM models for green supply chains, engineering cost modelling for advanced manufacturing, and food supply chain modelling. She has led and involved in other highly complex and multi-disciplinary research projects with multiple European and international partners and is a member/link with multi-disciplinary consortia including EPSRC funded e-futures DTC (£5.7million) and, Rolls-Royce and Yorkshire Forward and Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) funded Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC) (£25million). She has led and involved in large scale projects funded by EPSRC, ERSC, EU, BIS, Government, DECC, Regional Development Agency (RDA), Yorkshire Forward, White Rose Consortium, European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), National Science Council (NSC) (Taiwan), The British Academy (UK), The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO - UK), Ministry of Education (Macedonia), Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (Malaysia), Rolls-Royce (UK), rent-it-systems (UK), London Area Procurement Network (LAPN), Cargotec and South Yorkshire Housing Association.
- Models for a Class of Sustainable Supply Chain Routing Problems.
- Low Carbon and Green Supply Chain. Young Writers.
- Information and Communication Technologies Management in Turbulent Business Environments. Information Science Reference.
- ICT Management. Silkbook.
- A critical analysis of the impacts of COVID-19 on the global economy and ecosystems and opportunities for circular economy strategies. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 164.
- Using discrete event simulation to explore food wasted in the home. Journal of Simulation. View this article in WRRO
- Potential for large-scale CO2 removal via enhanced rock weathering with croplands. Nature, 583(7815), 242-248. View this article in WRRO
- Soybean supply chain management and sustainability: A systematic literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production. View this article in WRRO
- Why do Emerging Market Firms Engage in Voluntary Environmental Management Practices? A Strategic Choice Perspective. British Journal of Management, 31(1), 80-100. View this article in WRRO
- Characteristics and community evolution patterns of the international scrap metal trade. Journal of Cleaner Production. View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of ghg emissions in Europe: Future estimates and policy implications. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 19(1), 131-142.
- The fourth industrial revolution (Industry 4.0) : technologies' disruption on operations and supply chain management. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 39(6/7/8), 817-828. View this article in WRRO
- Decarbonising ceramic manufacturing : a techno-economic analysis of energy efficient sintering technologies in the functional materials sector. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 39(16), 5213-5235. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluating the potential impacts of carbon tax cost passing strategy on petrochemical selling prices. SN Applied Sciences, 1(11). View this article in WRRO
- Life cycle assessment of functional materials and devices : opportunities, challenges, and current and future trends. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 102(12), 7037-7064. View this article in WRRO
- Effective multi-tier supply chain management for sustainability. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Blockchain applications in supply chains, transport and logistics : a systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Production Research. View this article in WRRO
- Examining the relationship between energy poverty and measures of deprivation. Energy Policy, 130, 206-217. View this article in WRRO
- Including social performance as a measure for resilient and green freight transportation. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 69, 13-23. View this article in WRRO
- Circular economy and electronic waste. Nature Electronics, 2(3), 86-89. View this article in WRRO
- The road to recovery. Nature Electronics, 2(3), 85-85.
- Review: Consumption-stage food waste reduction interventions – what works and how to design better interventions.. Food Policy. View this article in WRRO
- Comparative environmental profile assessments of commercial and novel material structures for solid oxide fuel cells. Applied Energy, 235, 1300-1313. View this article in WRRO
- The Role of Customer Awareness in Promoting Firm Sustainability and Sustainable Supply Chain Management. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Life cycle assessment and environmental profile evaluation of lead-free piezoelectrics in comparison with lead zirconate titanate. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 38(15), 4922-4938. View this article in WRRO
- Life cycle assessment and environmental profile evaluations of high volumetric efficiency capacitors. Applied Energy, 220, 496-513. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling Multi-regional Ecological Exchanges: The Case of UK and Africa. Ecological Economics, 147, 422-435. View this article in WRRO
- Pricing and low-carbon investment decisions in an emission dependent supply chain under a carbon labelling scheme. Sustainability, 10(4). View this article in WRRO
- Supply chain learning of sustainability in multi-tier supply chains: A resource orchestration perspective. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 38(4), 1061-1090. View this article in WRRO
- Structure-integration relationships in oil and gas supply chains. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of environmental, social, and governance disclosure on firm value: The role of CEO power. The British Accounting Review, 50(1), 60-75. View this article in WRRO
- Inside out: The interrelationships of sustainable performance metrics and its effect on business decision making: Theory and practice. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 128, 155-166. View this article in WRRO
- STFC Food Network+. Food Science and Technology, 31(4), 34-39. View this article in WRRO
- A hybridised framework combining integrated methods for environmental Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Costing. Journal of Cleaner Production, 168, 846-866. View this article in WRRO
- Perovskite solar cells: An integrated hybrid lifecycle assessment and review in comparison with other photovoltaic technologies. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 80, 1321-1344. View this article in WRRO
- Assessing redundancies in environmental performance measures for supply chains. Journal of Cleaner Production, 167, 1290-1302. View this article in WRRO
- Planning restoration of a historical landscape: A case study for integrating a sustainable street lighting system with conservation of historical values. Journal of Cleaner Production, 165, 579-588. View this article in WRRO
- Conceptualizing a circular framework of supply chain resource sustainability. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 37(10), 1520-1540. View this article in WRRO
- A comparison of environmental and energetic performance of European countries: A sustainability index. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 78, 401-413. View this article in WRRO
- Energy policy under austerity localism: what role for local authorities?. Local Government Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Fragmented institutional fields and their impact on manufacturing environmental practices. International Journal of Production Research, 56(1-2), 431-446. View this article in WRRO
- An agenda for integrated system-wide interdisciplinary agri-food research. Food Security, 9(2), 195-210. View this article in WRRO
- Improving retail supply flexibility using buyer-supplier relational capabilities. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 37(3), 343-362. View this article in WRRO
- Environmental life cycle assessment and techno-economic analysis of triboelectric nanogenerators. Energy and Environmental Science, 10, 653-671. View this article in WRRO
- The environmental impact of fertilizer embodied in a wheat-to-bread supply chain. Nature Plants, 3. View this article in WRRO
- Research priorities for managing the impacts and dependencies of business upon food, energy, water and the environment. Sustainability Science, 12(2), 319-331. View this article in WRRO
- Are lead-free piezoelectrics more environmentally friendly?. MRS Communications, 1-7. View this article in WRRO
- Comparing linear and circular supply chains: A case study from the construction industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 183(B), 443-457. View this article in WRRO
- Sustainable supply chain management and the transition towards a circular economy: Evidence and some applications. Omega, 66(B), 344-357. View this article in WRRO
- Drivers of U.S. toxicological footprints trajectory 1998–2013. Scientific Reports. View this article in WRRO
- Smartphone Apps for Measuring Human Health and Climate Change Co-Benefits: A Comparison and Quality Rating of Available Apps. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 4(4). View this article in WRRO
- Integrated resource efficiency: measurement and management. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 36(11), 1576-1600. View this article in WRRO
- Integrated hybrid life cycle assessment and supply chain environmental profile evaluations of leadbased (lead zirconate titanate) versus lead-free (potassium sodium niobate) piezoelectric ceramics. Energy and Environmental Science, 9(11), 3495-3520. View this article in WRRO
- A profitability assessment of European recycling processes treating printed circuit boards from waste electrical and electronic equipments. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 64, 749-760. View this article in WRRO
- Global solar photovoltaic industry: an overview and national competitiveness of Taiwan. Journal of Cleaner Production, 126, 550-562.
- An integrated theoretical framework to enhance resource efficiency, sustainability and human health in agri-food systems. Journal of Cleaner Production, 120, 164-169. View this article in WRRO
- Low carbon economy and equitable society: production, supply chain, and operations management perspectives. Journal of Cleaner Production, 117, 7-9.
- Delivering energy efficiency and carbon reduction schemes in England: Lessons from Green Deal Pioneer Places. Energy Policy, 84, 96-106. View this article in WRRO
- How do supply chain management and information systems practices influence operational performance? Evidence from emerging country SMEs. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 19(3), 181-199.
- An application of hybrid life cycle assessment as a decision support framework for green supply chains. International Journal of Production Research, 21(53), 6495-6521. View this article in WRRO
- Recycling of WEEEs: An economic assessment of present and future e-waste streams. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 51, 263-272. View this article in WRRO
- Area Based Targeting: Providing Evidence to Support Public-Private Partnership in Energy Efficiency Projects, 129-156.
- A Robust Model to Enhance Organisation Boardrooms’ Decision-Making Process Towards a Low Carbon Economy, 3-24.
- Environmental impact assessment of aviation emission reduction through the implementation of composite materials. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 20(2), 233-243.
- Exploring the challenges in implementing supplier environmental performance measurement models: a case study. Production Planning & Control, 25(13-14), 1198-1211.
- Benchmarking carbon emissions performance in supply chains. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 19(3), 306-321. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of ERP implementation on supply chain performance. International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management, 14(2), 196-196.
- Genetic algorithm for inventory levels and routing structure optimization in two stage supply chain. International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management, 6(2), 33-49.
- Knowledge management and supporting tools for collaborative networks. International Journal of Production Research, 51(7), 1953-1957.
- Environmental and economic analysis of building integrated photovoltaic systems in Italian regions. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Energy efficiency retrofitting services supply chains: Evidence about stakeholders and configurations from the Yorskhire and Humber region case. International Journal of Production Economics.
- Computational and systematic approaches in enhancing supply chain performance. International Journal of Systems Science.
- Greener Supplier Selection: State-of-the-Art and Empirical Evidence. International Journal of Production Research.
- Implementation of a real option in a sustainable supply chain: An empirical study of alkaline battery recycling. International Journal of Systems Science.
- Environmental practices and performance and their relationships among Kosovo construction companies: A framework for analysis in transition economies. International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 14(1), 115-130.
- Green supply chain management: the development of supply chain carbon maps. International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, 3(3), 175-175.
- Green supply chain: how do carbon management and sustainable development create competitive advantage for the supply chain?. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 17(1).
- Assessment on the adoption of low carbon and green supply chain management practices in Indian supply chain sectors - Manufacturing and service industries. International Journal of Business and Globalisation, 9(3), 311-345.
- Evaluating ecological sustainable performance measures for supply chain management. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 17(1), 78-92.
- Renewable energy options for buildings: Performance evaluations of integrated photovoltaic systems. Energy and Buildings.
- Generic balanced scorecard framework for third party logistics service provider. International Journal of Production Economics, 140(1), 269-282.
- Greening the Supply Chain: The Development of Supply Chain Carbon Maps. International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, 3(3).
- Greening the Supply Chain: The Development of Supply Chain Carbon Maps. International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, 3(3).
- Cross-tier ripple and indirect effects of directives WEEE and RoHS on greening a supply chain. International Journal of Production Economics, 140(1), 305-317.
- Biofuels and their potential to aid the UK towards achieving emissions reduction policy targets. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(7), 5414-5422.
- Decarbonising product supply chains: Design and development of an integrated evidence-based decision support system – the supply chain environmental analysis tool (SCEnAT). International Journal of Production Research.
- Heuristic approach for balanced allocation problem in logistics: A comparative study. International Journal of Operational Research, 14(3), 255-270.
- Synchronicity and alignment of productivity: the real value from Service Science?. Production Planning & Control, 23(7), 498-512.
- Natural resource based green supply chain management. Supply Chain Management, 17(1), 54-67.
- Generic balanced scorecard framework for third party logistics service provider. International Journal of Production Economics.
- Modified savings heuristics and genetic algorithm for bi-objective vehicle routing problem with forced backhauls. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 2296-2305.
- Perceptions of service providers and customers of key success factors of third-party logistics relationships - An empirical study. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 14(4), 221-250.
- Role of 'green knowledge' in the environmental transformation of the supply chain: The case of Greek manufacturing. International Journal of Knowledge-Based Development, 2(1), 107-128.
- Using FAHP to determine the criteria for partner's selection within a green supply chain. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 23(1), 25-55.
- Drivers, barriers and critical success factors for ERPII implementation in supply chains: A critical analysis. Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 20(4), 385-402.
- Modified savings heuristics and genetic algorithm for bi-objective vehicle routing problem with forced backhauls. Expert Systems with Applications.
- Identification of 'carbon hot-spots' and quantification of GHG intensities in the biodiesel supply chain using hybrid LCA and structural path analysis. Environmental Science and Technology, 45(6), 2471-2478.
- Cross-tier ripple and indirect effects of directives WEEE and RoHS on greening a supply chain. International Journal of Production Economics.
- A photovoltaic system in a residential building: Environmental and economic optimization analysis. SCMIS 2010 - Proceedings of 2010 8th International Conference on Supply Chain Management and Information Systems: Logistics Systems and Engineering.
- Softer perspectives on enhancing the patient experience using IS/IT. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 23(2), 187-208.
- Unified heuristics to solve routing problem of reverse logistics in sustainable supply chain. International Journal of Systems Science, 41(3), 337-351.
- International Journal of Systems Science: Editorial. International Journal of Systems Science, 41(3), 259-260.
- Performance improvement: An active life cycle product management. International Journal of Systems Science, 41(3), 301-313.
- E-supply chain operational and behavioural perspectives: An empirical study of Malaysian SMEs. International Journal of Production Research, 48(2), 525-546.
- An efficiency comparison of supply chain management and information systems practices: a study of Turkish and Bulgarian small- and medium-sized enterprises in food products and beverages. INT J PROD RES, 48(2), 425-451.
- The demand for training and consultancy investment in SME-specific ERP systems implementation and operation. INT J PROD ECON, 122(1), 241-254.
- A causal analysis of the impact of information systems and supply chain management practices on operational performance: Evidence from manufacturing SMEs in Turkey. INT J PROD ECON, 122(1), 133-149.
- Business processes inter-operation for supply network co-ordination. International Journal of Production Economics, 122(1), 188-199.
- Is excellence an elusive dream for East African business schools?. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 3(2), 93-111.
- A conceptual view on the scope and scale of growth of third party logistics provider services in India. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 3(1), 43-55.
- Clustering-based heuristic for the workload balancing problem in enterprise logistics. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 3(3), 302-315.
- Multi-objective mathematical model for order quantity allocation in multiple discount environments for healthcare supply chain. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 3(2), 130-156.
- New sustainable business models in China. Business Strategy and the Environment, 18(1), 64-77.
- Interlocking of information systems for international supply and demand chains management. International Journal of Production Economics, 122(1), 127-132.
- Sustaining service excellence in the insurance industry: A Kenyan perspective. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 3(3), 288-301.
- Analysing the competitive advantage for the operating model of Phalaenopsis aphrodite industry in Taiwan. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 2(2), 269-269.
- Conceptual framework for the capture of customer experience journey in the housing sector. COBRA 2008 - Construction and Building Research Conference of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- The use of information systems for logistics and supply chain management in South East Europe: Current status and future direction. Omega, 36(4), 592-599. View this article in WRRO
- The role of forecasting on bullwhip effect for E-SCM applications. International Journal of Production Economics, 113(1), 193-204.
- ERP II: The involvement, benefits and impediments of collaborative information sharing. International Journal of Production Economics, 113(1), 245-268.
- Hybrid analytical hierarchy process model for supplier selection. IND MANAGE DATA SYST, 108(1-2), 122-142.
- Development of an intelligent logistics fleet management system: an integrated approach. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 1(4), 372-372.
- The implementation of an agile information delivery system in building service-oriented e-healthcare network. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 1(3), 283-283.
- Performance analysis for enterprise distributed information system. International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 1(2), 216-235.
- The impact of uncertainty on delivery performance in make-to-stock, make-to-order and mixed-mode supply chains. ICRM 2007 - 4th International Conference on Responsive Manufacturing.
- SMEs e-strategies within the logistics and tourism industries. International Journal of Management and Enterprise Development, 4(5), 520-520.
- Supply chain and information system services: An efficiency comparison between Turkish and Bulgarian SMEs. 2007 IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, SOLI.
- The impact of uncertainty on delivery performance in make-to-stock, make-to-order and mixed-mode supply chains. ICRM 2007 - 4th International Conference on Responsive Manufacturing.
- The aggregation for enterprise distributed databases: A case study of the healthcare national immunization information system in Taiwan. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 18(7), 889-903.
- The cluster approach and SME competitiveness: A review. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 18(7), 818-835.
- Editorial: Interactions between people and information technology in the digital age - Part I. International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 6(1), 1-4.
- Current issues of sustainable production, eco-supply chains and eco-logistics for sustainable development. International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, 7(1), 88-101.
- International Journal of Global Environment Issues: Editorial. International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, 7(1), 1-3.
- Achieving competitive advantage in the Mexican footwear industry. Benchmarking, 14(3), 289-305.
- Could e-business create a competitive advantage in UK SMEs?. Benchmarking, 14(3), 320-351.
- International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management: Editorial. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, 7(1), 1-4.
- A study on building of a common gateway for secure exchange and transmission of electronic business message. Benchmarking, 14(3), 306-319.
- The adoption of e-business and knowledge management in SMEs. Benchmarking, 14(1), 37-58.
- Editorial. International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 3(2), 127-130.
- Could enterprise resource planning create a competitive advantage for small businesses?. Benchmarking, 14(1), 59-76.
- International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management: Editorial. International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 7(1), 1-3.
- Tackling uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing environment: A knowledge management approach. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 31(7-8), 833-840.
- Measuring performance within the supply chain of a large scale project. Supply Chain Management, 12(1), 52-59.
- An application of data envelopment analytic hierarchy process for supplier selection: a case study of BEKO in Turkey. INT J PROD RES, 45(9), 1973-2003.
- Identifying the range of customer listening tools: a logical pre-cursor to CRM?. IND MANAGE DATA SYST, 107(3-4), 567-586.
- The impact of supply chain management practices on performance of SMEs. IND MANAGE DATA SYST, 107(1-2), 103-124.
- An Investigation of the value of becoming an extended enterprise. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 19(1), 49-58.
- Creating agility by simplifying product flow in a multiproduct assembly line. International Journal of Enterprise Network Management, 1(2), 166-166.
- Development of an information system to integrate the manufacturing firm and its supplier base for reduced non-conforming parts. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 1(2), 159-174.
- Strategising customer voice-based quality improvement for logistics service providers. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 1(3), 266-280.
- Extraction of simple and concatenated features from a wire frame model using IGES data. International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, 9(3-4), 350-371.
- Uncertainty and contingency plans in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 19(6), 625-645.
- Parts verification for multi-level-dependent demand manufacturing systems: A recognition and classification structure. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 31(3-4), 305-315. View this article in WRRO
- Competing in the 21st century supply chain through supply chain management and enterprise resource planning integration. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 36(6), 455-465.
- Operational intelligence discovery and knowledge-mapping approach in a supply network with uncertainty. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(6), 687-699.
- Optimizing supply chain management using fuzzy approach. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(6), 737-749.
- Performance prediction using supply chain uncertainty modelling. International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 2(3), 279-293.
- Editorial: E-services delivery. International Journal of Services, Technology and Management, 7(3), 211-214.
- International Journal of INformation Technology and Management: Editorial. International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 5(2-3), 93-96.
- A knowledge management approach for managing uncertainty in manufacturing. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 106(4), 439-459.
- View this article in WRRO Editorial. International Journal of Business Performance Management, 8(1), 1-4.
- An empirical analysis of business efficiency from the implementation of enterprise information system. International Journal of Business Information Systems, 1(4), 387-407.
- Managing customer satisfaction through efficient listening tools: An evaluation of best practice in four world-class companies. International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 2(1), 22-41.
- Translating knowledge of supply chain uncertainty into business strategy and actions. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(4), 472-485.
- A special issue on tools and techniques for dynamic manufacturing environments. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 19(1), 1-3.
- Managing uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments in SMEs. International Journal of Production Economics, 101(1 SPEC. ISS.), 109-127.
- TQM and market orientation's impact on SMEs' performance. IND MANAGE DATA SYST, 106(8), 1206-1228.
- An exploratory study of enterprise resource planning adoption in Greek companies. IND MANAGE DATA SYST, 106(7), 1033-1059.
- Organisation and its future implication for SMEs. PRODUCTION PLANNING & CONTROL, 16(6), 555-562.
- Uncertainty in ERP-Controlled Manufacturing Systems. International Journal of Enterprise Information Systems, 1(3), 17-34.
- An empirical study of the effects of uncertainty on SME manufacturers. International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 1(4), 395-395.
- Using e-commerce to gain a competitive advantage in 3PL enterprises in China. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, 1(2/3), 187-187.
- Managing uncertainties using a knowledge management approach. Technical Paper - Society of Manufacturing Engineers, TP05PUB42.
- Achieving competitive advantage by combining SCM and ERP. Technical Paper - Society of Manufacturing Engineers, TP05PUB42.
- Contingency plans in ERP-controlled manufacturing. Technical Paper - Society of Manufacturing Engineers, TP05PUB42.
- Sustainable development through holistic approach. Technical Paper - Society of Manufacturing Engineers, TP05PUB42.
- Extended enterprises in changing business environments. Production Planning and Control, 16(6 SPEC. ISS.), 527-530.
- Information flow and supply chain management in local production networks: The role of people and information systems. Production Planning and Control, 16(6 SPEC. ISS.), 545-554.
- The application of knowledge management in call centres. Journal of Knowledge Management, 9(4), 56-69.
- A business model for uncertainty management. Benchmarking, 12(4), 383-400.
- Change and uncertainty in SME manufacturing environments using ERP. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 16(6), 629-653.
- Development and implementation of a generic order release scheme for modelling MRP-controlled finite-capacitated manufacturing environments. INT J COMP INTEG M, 17(6), 561-576.
- Identifying the adoption of e‐business and knowledge management within SMEs. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 11(3), 338-348.
- Comment on Dave Worthington's note on Koh SCL (2004): MRP-controlled batch-manufacturing environment under uncertainty. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 55(11), 1235.
- Critical elements for a successful enterprise resource planning implementation in small- And medium-sized enterprises. International Journal of Production Research, 42(17), 3433-3455.
- The use of intelligent feedback for work order release in an uncertain manufacturing system. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 20(6 SPEC. ISS.), 517-527.
- Modelling uncertainty under a multi-echelon ERP-controlled manufacturing system. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 15(3), 239-253.
- MRP-controlled batch-manufacturing environment under uncertainty. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 55(3), 219-232.
- MRP-controlled manufacturing environment disturbed by uncertainty. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 19(1-2), 157-171.
- A holistic approach to diagnose uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing shop floor. Production Planning and Control, 14(3), 273-289.
- Development of a business model for diagnosing uncertainty in ERP environments. International Journal of Production Research, 40(13), 3015-3039.
- Uncertainty under MRP-planned manufacture: Review and categorization. International Journal of Production Research, 40(10), 2399-2421.
- An investigation into design and performance of supply chains for public procurement projects. Production Planning & Control, 1-20. View this article in WRRO
- A Chemical Element Sustainability Index. Resources, Conservation and Recycling.
- The role of cycle life on the environmental impact of Li6.4La3Zr1.4Ta0.6O12 based solid state batteries. Advanced Sustainable Systems.
- Overview of Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing In Wang L & Koh SCL (Ed.), Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing (pp. 1-10). Springer
- Preface In Koh S & Wang L (Ed.), Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing (pp. v-vii). London: Springer-Verlag London.
- A sustainable green supply chain for globally integrated networks, Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing (pp. 191-206).
- Institutional Entrepreneurship and Regional Emergence: economic development in the Western Balkans In Phan PHC, Venkataraman S & Velamuri SR (Ed.), Entrepreneurship In Emerging Regions Around The World Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- The effects of uncertainty on ERP-controlled manufacturing supply chains, Intelligent Systems for Optical Networks Design: Advancing Techniques (pp. 63-86).
- E-organisation and its future implication for small and medium-sized enterprises, Entrepreneurship and Innovations in E-Business: An Integrative Perspective (pp. 223-237).
- A prototype e-business model to create a competitive advantage in SMEs, Entrepreneurship and Innovations in E-Business: An Integrative Perspective (pp. 238-260).
- Carbon Footprint Management for Food Supply Chains, Supply Chain Management for Sustainable Food Networks (pp. 205-231). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Conference proceedings papers
- Retail Supply Chain Flexibility: The Mediating Role of Inter-organizational Learning Drivers. Academy of Management Proceedings, Vol. 2015(1) (pp 16659-16659)
- Lifecycle assessment of CFRP aircraft fuselage. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Green Supplier Selection: A literature review and a critical perspective. SCMIS 2010 - Proceedings of 2010 8th International Conference on Supply Chain Management and Information Systems: Logistics Systems and Engineering
- Institutional entrepreneurship in the emerging regional economies of the Western Balkans. ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN EMERGING REGIONS AROUND THE WORLD: THEORY, EVIDENCE AND IMPLICATIONS (pp 125-152)
- An investigation of the value of becoming an extended enterprise. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTER INTEGRATED MANUFACTURING, Vol. 19(1) (pp 49-58)
- Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprise in the E-Business and Knowledge Management Era. NEW TECHNOLOGY-BASED FIRMS IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM, VOL IV (pp 149-162)
- Benchmarking the Supply Chain in Public Procurement: A Case Study of Energy Efficiency Retrofitting. Proceedings of British Academy of Management Conference. Belfast, UK, 9 September 2014 - 11 September 2014.
- The demand and supply synergy: best practice procurement policies and design of supply chains configurations for regional energy efficiency projects. British Academy of Management. Cardiff, 11 September 2013 - 13 September 2013.
- Towards a Theoretical Framework for Evaluating Approaches to ‘Greening’ the Supply Chain. Supply Chain Management and Information Systems (SCMIS), 2010 9th International Conference on, Vol. 1. School of Management, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China, 14 July 2012 - 18 July 2012.
- View this article in WRRO BIG Energy Upgrade: Local Authorities procurement practices in implementing housing stock energy efficiency retrofit services
- View this article in WRRO Promoting the Green Deal to low income communities: Initial insights from Yorkshire & The Humber
- View this article in WRRO Fuel Poverty: Perspectives from the front line
- View this article in WRRO BIG Energy Upgrade: Procurement and Supply Chain report – Green Deal and Energy Efficiency Retrofitting Supply Chains Delivery
- View this article in WRRO Regional Supply Chain for Energy Efficiency Measures to Retrofit to Existing Housing - Scoping Study for the Yorkshire and Humberside Region - Final Report
Software / Code
- E-Organisations: SMEs Using the Network Technologies To Restructure, Revitalise and Re-Position Their Business In The Cultural Era (ICE). Proceedings of the Management International Conference.
- The adoption of E-Strategies by emerging organisational structures: Commonalities and uniqueness. Management International Conference.
- ERP Adoption in Greek Enterprises. Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- The Effect of Change and Uncertainty in SMEs using ERP. Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- A Framework for a Successful ERP Implementation for SMEs: Perspectives from the UK, Singapore and Malaysia. Tainan, Taiwan.
- ERP in an Extended Enterprise Landscape. College of Management, NCKU, Tainan, Taiwan.
- Learning to Gain and Sustain a Competitive Advantage: The Case of the Mexican Footwear Industry. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong..
- E-business in SMEs: An Exploratory Study. University of Teeside, Newcastle-Gateshead, UK.
- The Values Behind an Extended Enterprise: An exploratory study. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.
- The Use of E-Business to Create a Competitive Advantage in SMEs. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- An exploratory study into the creation of competitive advantage in SMEs using e-business. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.
- A Conceptual Reference Framework for ERP Implementation in SMEs. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.
- Could ERP Create a Competitive Advantage for SMEs in the New Economy?. University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK.
- Uncertainty and contingency plan in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments.
- A review of the critical success factors of ERP implementation.
- Towards a conceptualisation of supply chain integration beyond the dyad: A systematic review.
- E-Organisations: The Impact of Network Technologies on e-Strategy In The Cultural Era. Montreal, Canada.
- Teaching activities
In terms of teaching, Professor Koh leads the following modules:
- PG: Executive MBA Operations Management module. This also involves Rolls-Royce led workshop on logistics and supply chain management in the module delivered by Director of Global Physical Logistics from Rolls-Royce.
- UG: Operations and Supply Chain Management: A Rolls-Royce sponsored module.
- Professional activities
Professor Koh’s leadership and management role involves leading alumni, external relations and championing partnerships with industry, government and other top institutions. She is a member of the strategy executive leadership board. She is also a member of Senate and a member of Court. Examples of strategic innovation and successes include the International Faculty in Thessaloniki, Greece (which she was the chief for their learning and teaching excellence on business and economics), founded the Rolls-Royce industry partnership which enhances students learning and employability through sponsored module on operations and supply chain, founded the MSc in LSCM and MSc in Energy Management which were direct output from research-led learning, engagement with industry and government on research generating impact including with DECC, EU, EERA, BIS, DCLG, Office of the Prime Minister, LEP, MOD, NDRC, local authorities, Chambers of Commerce, Rolls-Royce, Boeing, Sheffield Forgemasters, Siemens, TATA, Yorkshire Water, Muntons, Unilever, Brocklesby, Tesco, Marks and Spencer, Sainsbury’s, ASDA-Walmart, Nestle, EON, EDF, NPower, British Gas, SSE, Scottish Power, Premier, DLA Piper, IBM, Keepmoat, SIG, Bridon, Wardell Armstrong, Arup, Mott McDonald, Jaguar, CII, Cargotec, QinetiQ and so on.
Professor Koh’s leadership also involves managing groups including Business Development Director and Officer, Project Managers, Senior Research Fellow, Post Doctoral Research Associates, Research Associates, academics, members of LSCM/CEES/CLCF/EIDC, PhD students, alumni support officer, PA, industry/academic/government partners in various projects. Her expertise lies in logistics/supply chain management, particularly in; low carbon futures/industries, low carbon supply chain, energy supply chain, environment and sustainability science, energy efficiency, and uncertainty management. She has also produced a considerable amount of research in production planning and control, enterprise resource planning, and information science. Professor Koh holds a First-class honours degree in Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, and a Doctorate in Operations Management. She has lectured in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Quantitative Methods and e-business, Operations and Supply Chain Management. She is a Visiting Professor at Universite Pierre Mendes-France, National Chung Hsing University Taiwan, Fu-Jen Catholic University, City Liberal Studies Greece, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, China; and Skovde University, Sweden. She has served on promotion panel for many senior appointments for Chair. She is also an external examiner for The University of West Indies (St. Augustine), Aston Business School, Brunel Business School, Leeds University Business School and Cranfield University.
Professor Koh plays a strategic role at University level and serves/served on various University’s committees including the University’s Senate and Court, University Senate External Affairs Committee, University Research and Innovation Committee, HEFCE and NAO visit panel, QAA Institutional Audit, Board of Collaborative Studies, Discipline Committee, Sheffield/SEERC Steering Committee, Graduate Research Development Committee, and Centre for Low Carbon Futures (CLCF) Steering Committee (Yorkshire Universities level). She chairs the CLCF Low Carbon Supply Chain Business Advisory Board, Alumni Advisory Board, Alumni Committee, EIDC Board, Sheffield City Region LEP low carbon skills working group; attends N8 energy meetings; initiates some key research internationalisation partnerships; and leads some strategic research partnership including the European energy innovation for deprived communities with local authorities, community organisations, ALMO; energy efficiency and retrofitting supply chain, China-EU energy supply chain (CCS and Clean Coal), nuclear supply chain projects, Green Deal value chain, and European Energy Research Alliance (EERA) Initiative on Life Cycle Thinking working with UKERC and a large consortium. She also leads the environment and sustainability pathway for the ESRC funded Whiterose DTC, and involves directly in the EPSRC funded machining science IDC with AMRC on engineering cost research, the EPSRC funded advanced metallic CDT between Sheffield and Manchester on supply chain research; leads the supply chain and skills work for the Transport Systems Catapult, and the resilience theme of the MOD/dstl funded defence support and logistics.
She has successfully led and supervised Business Development Director/Project Managers/research fellows/PDRAs/RAs/research students/staff, examined many PhDs, reviewed research grant applications for EU, ESRC, EPSRC, Leverhulme Trust, British Academy, Canada Research Council, Hong Kong Research Council, Israel Science Foundation and NWO The Netherland. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management, Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, panel member for ESRC Quantitative Research, panel member for NWO The Netherland, panel member for REF equivalent in Sweden, and an advisor to National Development and Reform Commission of China (NDRC) (super ministry), Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and UK Government on impact of climate change and low carbon supply chain, Doncaster Chamber Knowledge and Enterprise Group, EPSRC future research themes, a committee member of the Sheffield City Region (SCR) LEP Low Carbon Sector Group and Sheffield Environment Partnership. She is also a regular speaker with government, industry and NGO events/conferences both nationally and internationally, e.g. with EU, BIS, UKTI, local and city region partnership, Councils, Actions for Involvement etc.
Professor Koh has been a consultant for many Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) and large-scale manufacturing/service enterprises in the UK and Worldwide. She works collaboratively with industries, governments and top academic institutions nationally, regionally and internationally in her research, and has led suites of knowledge exchange projects. Her industrial experiences include implementation and operations of MRP/MRPII/ERP systems in SMEs, advanced manufacturing environments, directorships/leaderships in agricultural sector, directorships in business-to-business and business-to-consumer food supply chain, business venture and investment. She is a firm believer of the direction for a low carbon supply chain growth and sustainable future with a balanced energy mix. Her expertise and experience will be highly relevant and beneficial to lead any country and industry/sector forward for the development of innovative sustainable growth working in collaboration and partnership between universities, government and industry.