Professor Sherif El-Khamisy
Professor of Molecular Medicine
Director of Research and Innovation
Tel: 0114 222 2791
I welcome applications from self-funded prospective home and international PhD students; see examples of possible projects below.
You can apply for a PhD position in MBB here.
Contact me at S.El-Khamisy@sheffield.ac.uk for further information.
Level 3 Modules
MBB313 Genome Stability and Genetic Change
Level 2 Modules
MBB262 Genetics 2
- 2015 - present: Director of Research and Innovation
- 2014 - present: Chair of Molecular Medicine, Krebs Institute, University of Sheffield
- 2014 - present: Wellcome Trust Investigator, Krebs Institute, University of Sheffield
- 2014 - present: Lister Research Fellow, Krebs Institute, University of Sheffield
- 2013 - 2015: Wellcome Trust Group Leader, Genome Center, University of Sussex
- 2013 - 2014: Reader, Krebs Institute, University of Sheffield
- 2008 - 2013: Wellcome Trust Fellow, Genome Center, University of Sussex
- 2007 - 2008: MRC Post-doctoral Fellow, Genome Center, University of Sussex, UK
- 2006: Post-doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Genetics, St Jude Children’s Research Hospital, USA
- 2005: Lecturer, Dept. of Biochemistry, Ain Shams University, Egypt
- 2002 - 2005: PhD in Biochemistry, University of Sussex, UK
Honours and Distinctions
- Wellcome Trust Investigator Award
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology
- Fellow of the Lister Institute of Preventative Medicine
- Shoman Award for Medical Sciences
- Sir Richard Stapley Award, UK
- Lorne Duncan Award, UK
- Investigation of the role of VHL-HIF signaling in DNA repair and apoptosis in zebrafish. Oncotarget, 11(13), 1109-1130. View this article in WRRO
- TEX264 coordinates p97- and SPRTN-mediated resolution of topoisomerase 1-DNA adducts. Nature Communications, 11(1). View this article in WRRO
- Nucleic acids biosensors based on metal-organic framework (MOF): Paving the way to clinical laboratory diagnosis. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 141, 111451-111451.
- Increased genomic instability following treatment with direct acting anti-hepatitis C virus drugs. EBioMedicine, 35, 106-113. View this article in WRRO
- Rad5, HLTF, and SHPRH: A fresh view of an old story. Trends in Genetics, 34(8), 574-577. View this article in WRRO
- UVA-induced carbon-centred radicals in lightly pigmented cells detected using ESR spectroscopy. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 126, 153-165.
- miR-363 confers taxane resistance in ovarian cancer by targeting the Hippo pathway member, LATS2. Oncotarget, 9(53), 30053-30065. View this article in WRRO
- UCHL3 Regulates Topoisomerase-Induced Chromosomal Break Repair by Controlling TDP1 Proteostasis. Cell Reports, 23(11), 3352-3365. View this article in WRRO
- Competing endogenous RNA network crosstalk reveals novel molecular markers in colorectal cancer. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 119(8), 6869-6881.
- Perturbed autophagy and DNA repair converge to promote neurodegeneration in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and dementia. Brain, 141(5), 1247-1262. View this article in WRRO
- Choose your yeast strain carefully: the RAD5 gene matters. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, 19(6), 343-344.
- C9orf72 Expansion Disrupts ATM-mediated Chromosomal Break Repair. Nature Neuroscience, 20, 1225-1235. View this article in WRRO
- SRSF1-dependent nuclear export inhibition of C9ORF72 repeat transcripts prevents neurodegeneration and associated motor deficits. Nature Communications, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Mitochondrial protein-linked DNA breaks perturb mitochondrial gene transcription and trigger free radical–induced DNA damage. Science Advances, 3(4). View this article in WRRO
- Epigenetic changes in histone acetylation underpin resistance to the topoisomerase I inhibitor irinotecan. Nucleic Acids Research, 45(3), 1159-1176. View this article in WRRO
- Gold aggregating gold: A novel nanoparticle biosensor approach for the direct quantification of hepatitis C virus RNA in clinical samples. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. View this article in WRRO
- Chemical screening identifies the β-Carboline Alkaloid Harmine to be synergistically lethal with Doxorubicin. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. View this article in WRRO
- Isoeugenol is a selective potentiator of camptothecin cytotoxicity in vertebrate cells lacking TDP1. Scientific Reports, 6, 26626-26626. View this article in WRRO
- A Comprehensive Analysis of the Dynamic Response to Aphidicolin-Mediated Replication Stress Uncovers Targets for ATM and ATMIN. Cell Reports, 15(4), 893-908. View this article in WRRO
- Topoisomerase-mediated chromosomal break repair: an emerging player in many games. Nature Reviews Cancer, 15(3), 137-151.
- Expression of a pathogenic mutation of SOD1 sensitizes aprataxin-deficient cells and mice to oxidative stress and triggers hallmarks of premature ageing. Human Molecular Genetics, 24(3), 828-840. View this article in WRRO
- Clinical and Cellular Roles for TDP1 and TOP1 in Modulating Colorectal Cancer Response to Irinotecan. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 14(2), 575-585.
- TDP2 protects transcription from abortive topoisomerase activity and is required for normal neural function. Nature Genetics, 46(5), 516-521.
- TDP1 deficiency sensitizes human cells to base damage via distinct topoisomerase I and PARP mechanisms with potential applications for cancer therapy. Nucleic Acids Research, 42(5), 3089-3103. View this article in WRRO
- ATM deficiency results in accumulation of DNA-topoisomerase I covalent intermediates in neural cells.. PLoS One, 8(4), e58239. View this article in WRRO
- TDP2 promotes repair of topoisomerase I-mediated DNA damage in the absence of TDP1.. Nucleic Acids Res, 40(17), 8371-8380. View this article in WRRO
- SUMO modification of the neuroprotective protein TDP1 facilitates chromosomal single-strand break repair.. Nat Commun, 3, 733. View this article in WRRO
- To live or to die: a matter of processing damaged DNA termini in neurons.. EMBO Mol Med, 3(2), 78-88. View this article in WRRO
- TDP2/TTRAP is the major 5'-tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase activity in vertebrate cells and is critical for cellular resistance to topoisomerase II-induced DNA damage.. J Biol Chem, 286(1), 403-409.
- Mutations in Cullin 4B result in a human syndrome associated with increased camptothecin-induced topoisomerase I-dependent DNA breaks.. Hum Mol Genet, 19(7), 1324-1334.
- A human 5'-tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase that repairs topoisomerase-mediated DNA damage.. Nature, 461(7264), 674-678.
- The genesis of cerebellar interneurons and the prevention of neural DNA damage require XRCC1.. Nat Neurosci, 12(8), 973-980. View this article in WRRO
- TDP1 facilitates chromosomal single-strand break repair in neurons and is neuroprotective in vivo.. EMBO J, 26(22), 4720-4731.
- The neurodegenerative disease protein aprataxin resolves abortive DNA ligation intermediates.. Nature, 443(7112), 713-716.
- Defective DNA single-strand break repair in spinocerebellar ataxia with axonal neuropathy-1. NATURE, 434(7029), 108-113.
- The protein kinase CK2 facilitates repair of chromosomal DNA single-strand breaks.. Cell, 117(1), 17-28.
- A requirement for PARP-1 for the assembly or stability of XRCC1 nuclear foci at sites of oxidative DNA damage.. Nucleic Acids Res, 31(19), 5526-5533.