Dr Emma Thomson
School of Biosciences
- 2017-present: Research Fellow, Sheffield Institute for Nucleic Acids (SInFoNiA) School of Biosciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK.
- 2009-2016: Post-doctoral Research, Biochemistry Centre (BZH), University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany.
- 2006-2009: Post-doctoral research, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2003-2006: PhD Student, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
This person does not have any publications available.
- Cryo-EM structure of a late pre-40S ribosomal subunit from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. eLife, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Preribosomes escaping from the nucleus are caught during translation by cytoplasmic quality control. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, 24, 1107-1115.
- Interaction network of the ribosome assembly machinery from a eukaryotic thermophile. Protein Science, 26(2), 327-342.
- The K+-dependent GTPase Nug1 is implicated in the association of the helicase Dbp10 to the immature peptidyl transferase centre during ribosome maturation. Nucleic Acids Research, 44(4), 1800-1812.
- The Exosome Is Recruited to RNA Substrates through Specific Adaptor Proteins. Cell, 162(5), 1029-1038.
- Dominant Rio1 kinase/ATPase catalytic mutant induces trapping of late pre-40S biogenesis factors in 80S-like ribosomes. Nucleic Acids Research, 42(13), 8635-8647.
- Eukaryotic ribosome biogenesis at a glance. Journal of Cell Science, 126(21), 4815-4821.
- Structural basis for cooperativity of CRM1 export complex formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(3), 960-965.
- The Conserved Bud20 Zinc Finger Protein Is a New Component of the Ribosomal 60S Subunit Export Machinery. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 32(24), 4898-4912.
- Monitoring Spatiotemporal Biogenesis of Macromolecular Assemblies by Pulse-Chase Epitope Labeling. Molecular Cell, 47(5), 788-796.
- The Final Step in 5.8S rRNA Processing Is Cytoplasmic in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 30(4), 976-984.
- Nop53p is required for late 60S ribosome subunit maturation and nuclear export in yeast. RNA, 11(8), 1215-1224.
- Micro-processing events in mRNAs identified by DHPLC analysis. Nucleic Acids Research, 30(18), 3945-3953.
- Processing of 3′-Extended Read-Through Transcripts by the Exosome Can Generate Functional mRNAs. Molecular Cell, 9(6), 1285-1296.
- Nop9 is an RNA binding protein present in pre-40S ribosomes and required for 18S rRNA synthesis in yeast. RNA, 13(12), 2165-2174.
- Intracellular calcium modulates the nuclear translocation of calsenilin. Journal of Neurochemistry, 89(3), 593-601.
- Research group
I started my lab in the Sheffield Institute of Nucleic Acids (SInFoNiA) within the MBB department in May 2017. Prior to this, I performed my post-doctoral work in the lab of Professor Ed Hurt in the BZH at the University of Heidelberg, in Germany and my PhD in the lab of Professor David Tollervey at the University of Edinburgh.
We are always interested in applications from highly motivated researchers who would like to perform graduate studies or post-doctoral work in the lab.
If you are interested in joining the lab for either graduate or post-doctoral studies, please contact me, as I would be happy to discuss potential projects and funding possibilities with you.
We currently have one fully-funded PhD studentship available for a home/EU students. If you are interested in applying for this position, please email me with your CV and a short description of your research background and interests.
- Teaching interests
- MBB162 Genetics