How to apply
To apply to study for a PhD with us, you will need to make a formal application using the University of Sheffield’s online application form.
We will not be able to process an application until we receive all of the required details, including your research proposal and supporting documents.
Our aim is to deal with your application promptly, although most applications are considered by at least two members of staff and the process can take up to three weeks in total. You can contact us at any time if you want to know the progress of your application.
- I have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent).
- I have a Masters level qualification (Merit or equivalent).
- English is my first language, or I have an overall IELTS grade of 7.5 with a minimum score of 7.0 in each component.
- My research proposal is ready to upload.
- My proof of previous degrees, academic references, English language certificates (if required), and CV are ready to upload.
- I can provide a sample of my academic writing (6,000-8,000 words). This might be an extract from a larger piece of work, such as a dissertation.