Our sustainability strategy sets out our overarching approach to sustainability and our key commitments for 2020-2025.
In November 2020, the University published its five-year sustainability strategy. This document sets out our approach to sustainability at Sheffield. It aligns the University with the international scientific consensus and approach embodied by the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement.
Our key commitments:
- A net-zero campus by 2030 and net-zero across all activities by 2038
- Using our research expertise to tackle twenty-first century sustainability challenges
- Embedding Education for Sustainable Development into all taught courses in five years
- 100% renewable procured electricity on campus
- Tough action on high-carbon travel
Find out more by downloading our full strategy.
This strategy has been shaped by the whole University community. A key element of this work was a targeted consultation with our academic experts, our students and professional services staff. They have informed the vision and content of our strategy, ensuring that our work is suitably ambitious and fit to meet the challenges of the climate emergency, while being deliverable for a global, research-intensive University.
By drawing on our strengths as an institution, we aim to become one of the most sustainable research-intensive universities in the UK.