How to apply
You can enrol on a enrol on an English Language Teaching Centre course either online, by email or by post by completing our application forms.
Pre-sessional English - Open for applications for the 2020/21 academic year.
Details on deadlines for specific courses:
University English - Open for applications. Please submit your application at least two weeks before your chosen start date, or four weeks before if you still need to apply for a visa.
- You must fully complete the application form.
- It is not possible to save a partially completed application form and return to it later.
- You will be asked to upload copies of some additional documents during the application process.
- The documents you will need to upload include your passport and English language certificate.
- If you have previously studied in the UK you will also need to upload a copy of any previous UK visa(s) and CAS statement(s) you have been issued.
- If your tuition fees will be paid by a sponsor, you should upload a copy of a letter from your sponsor which confirms this.
- If you are applying for a Pre-sessional English course starting in Term 4 we strongly recommend you submit your application through our online application form.
- If you have any queries about the online application form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To enrol on a full time ELTC course, please send us:
- A completed application form
- A photocopy of the identity page of your passport
- Evidence of your current level of English
If your tuition fees will be paid by a sponsor (e.g. a scholarship, your national government or employer), please also send a letter from your sponsor confirming this. The letter should include:
- A date within the last 6 months
- Applicant's full name and date of birth
- Sponsor's name and contact details
- Specific reference to an English language course in the UK.
Download the appropriate application form:
- Pre-sessional English application form (PDF, 79KB)
- University English and General English application form (PDF, 79KB)
Please return your completed application form and supporting documents by emailing email@example.com
Alternatively, send it by post to:
English Language Teaching Centre
The University of Sheffield
78 Hoyle Street
Our courses are designed for adults. Applicants who are under 18 are subject to a number of restrictions and administrative procedures.
We are able to accept students who are approaching their 18th birthday, subject to satisfactory guardianship arrangements being in place.
If you may be under 18 when you apply for your visa, please indicate this on your application form.
For further information on under 18s at the university please visit the SSiD webpage on students under 18.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.