Free part-time English classes (CELTA)
The ELTC runs part-time and full-time teacher training courses (Cambridge CELTA) throughout the year. The trainees on these courses are preparing to become English language teachers. We need volunteers to join these classes so that our trainee teachers can practise their teaching.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic our in-person free English classes are currently suspended however we are currently running some online free English classes.
Our Free English classes are a great way of learning English language in a relaxed environment and volunteers in the past have enjoyed and benefited from these classes.
The Free English classes are not part of a course. If you wish to join these classes, you will do so as a volunteer not a student. Certificates and student cards are not provided. The classes may also be recorded for training purposes
Who can join?
To join our free English classes you must:
- Be over 18 years old
- Have an English level between pre-intermediate (IELTS 3.0 - 5.0) and upper-intermediate (IELTS 5.0 - 6.5)
- Be able to attend at least 80% of the classes
- Have a computer with a good internet connection, a microphone and a camera
- Have a quiet place to study from
Who are the classes not suitable for?
Unfortunately, our free English classes are NOT suitable for people who:
- Are under 18 years old
- Have a beginner level of English (IELTS 3.0 or lower)
- Have an advanced level of English (IELTS 6.5 or over)
- Cannot attend regularly
When do classes take place?
Our free classes take place in blocks throughout the year. Each block of classes is taught alongside one of our CELTA teacher training courses. You can sign up to attend more than one block of classes, but you must be able to attend at least 80% of the classes in each block.
- Weekdays (10:30am to 12:45pm BST) - Tuesday July 6th to Friday July 23rd
- Week 1
- Tuesday July 6th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Wednesday July 7th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Thursday July 8th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Friday July 9th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Week 2
- Monday July 12th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Tuesday July 13th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Wednesday July 14th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Thursday July 15th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Friday July 16 - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Week 3
- Monday July 19th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Tuesday July 20th - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Wednesday July 21st - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Thursday July 22nd - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Friday July 23rd - 10:30am to 12:45pm
- Week 1
Where do these free English classes take place?
All the free English classes take place online at the moment.
We will be using Zoom. A link will be sent to you once you have confirmed you can attend the classes via email. You will need to install Zoom on your computer or laptop. You will also need: a computer with a good internet connection, installed Zoom, a microphone and a camera. You would also need a quiet place to study from.
How to join
To sign up for the classes, please click the link below and fill in the application form:
After you complete the application form we will place your details on our waiting list. When a place in the free classes becomes available we will send you an e-mail inviting you to begin attending the free classes.
Please be aware that due to demand you may need to wait for a few weeks before a place in the free classes becomes available for you.
If you have any questions about joining the free classes, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.