Dr Michael Kindellan
School of English
Lecturer in Modern Literature
+44 114 222 0223
Full contact details
School of English
1 Upper Hanover Street
I am a Lecturer in Modern Literature with an emphasis on 20th century poetry and poetics. Before coming to Sheffield, where until 2019 I have been a Vice Chancellor’s Fellow, I held postdoctoral positions in Germany (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Universität Bayreuth) and France (Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III). Before those gigs, I was educated at the University of Sussex (DPhil); University of Cambridge (MSt); and McGill University (BA). With Ágnes Lehóczky and Adam Piette I co-direct Sheffield’s Centre for Poetry and Poetics, being nominally in charge of the School of English’s press Constitutional Information.
- Research interests
I tend to work on modernist, mid-century and avant-garde writing. Methodologically, I often attempt to combine archival research and literary criticism. My book The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication (Bloomsbury, 2017) is a case in point. My current project, provisionally entitled Present Knowledge: Charles Olson and a Poetics of Pedagogy, thinks about certain social and educational dimensions of his writing practice. I am editing a collection of essays with Alex Marsh about the poet John Wieners.
- View this article in WRRO The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication. 2017: Bloomsbury.
- View this article in WRRO "Tinkle, Tinkle, Two Tongues": Sound, Sign, Canto XCIX. Glossator : Practice and Theory of the Commentary, 10, 83-120.
- Response to Responses. Modernist Cultures, 12(3), 388-390. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO The Cantos and Pedagogy. Modernist Cultures, 12(3), 345-63.
- View this article in WRRO I have always loathed reading: Ezra pound's late cantos. Paideuma, 43, 199-247.
- Ian Davidson, Radical Spaces of Poetry. Textual Practice, 27(5), 927-930.
- Book Reviews. Textual Practice, 25(5), 961-987.
- Romanticism, Sincerity and Authenticity. TEXTUAL PRACTICE, 25(5), 982-987.
- Stephen Rodefer's Position. CHICAGO REVIEW, 54(3), 6-7.
- An Interview with Stephen Rodefer. CHICAGO REVIEW, 54(3), 8-28.
- The 'battered vessel'. CHICAGO REVIEW, 51(4), 206-209.
- Texts of The Cantos and Theories of Literature, The New Ezra Pound Studies (pp. 88-103). Cambridge University Press View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Projective Verse and Pedagogy In Hoeynck J (Ed.), Staying Open: Charles Olson’s Sources and Influences (pp. 1-30). Wilmington: Vernon Press.
- View this article in WRRO Ownership and Interpretation: On Ezra Pound’s Deluxe First Editions In Coste B, Delyfer C & Reynier C (Ed.), Reconnecting Aestheticism and Modernism: Continuities, Revisions, Speculations New York: Routledge.
- View this article in WRRO Ezra Pound, Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and philology In Reynier C & Ganteau J (Ed.), Ethics of Alterity, Confrontation and Responsibility in 19th- to 21st-Century British Arts (pp. 169-184). Montpellier: PULM.
- Poetic instruction, Contemporary Olson Manchester University Press
- Research group
I welcome applications from potential research students who wish to pursue any number of subjects within the broad field of 20th century Anglo-American poetry or poetics.
- Teaching activities
Currently I contribute teaching to the following modules:Undergraduate:
- LIT3000 America and the Avant-Garde
- LIT302 Modern Literature
- LIT386 Dissertation
- LIT113 Foundations
- LIT647 Small Press Publishing since 1960
- LIT650 Mid Century Modernism
- LIT3651 Topics in American Postmodernism
- MA Dissertation
- EGH629 Pastoral Literature
- EGH623 MA Work Placement
- Further work
- Selected poetry
- with Emily Critchley and Alison Honey Woods, Alphabet poem: for kids! (London: Prototype, 2020). See it here.
- “Four poems”, Blackbox Manifold 23 (2019): n.p. Online.
- “Poem written while listening to Denise Riley read a poem”, The World Speaking Back ... to Denise Riley, ed. Ágnes Lehóczky and Zoë Skoulding (Boiler House Press, 2018). See this book here.
- “To whom we love” and “Your dumb bell”, Wretched Strangers, ed. Ágnes Lehóczky and JT Welch (Norwich: Boiler House Press, 2017). See it here.
- Hip 90135 (Sheffield: Constitutional Information, 2016). See it here.
- Financial Times (Montpellier: No press, 2011). Crater 1 (London: Crater Press, 2010). See about it here.
- Not love (London: Barque, 2009). See it here. with Reitha Pattison,
- Word is Born (Cambridge: Arehouse, 2006). Read about it here.
- “The Battered Vessel”, Chicago Review 51/52 (April 2006): 206-209.
- Charles Baudelaire (London: Bad Press, 2005).
- Invited talks and lectures
- "How not to learn Chinese: Ezra Pound, The Confucian Odes, and maverick philology". University of Oslo. 14 November 2018
- "Pound's (im)material Poetics". Poetry and Poetics Research Seminar. University of Sydney. 9 August 2018
- "The Cantos and Pedagogy". English Departmental Seminar Series. University of Sydney. 8 August 2018
- "In defense of having nothing to say". Denise Riley Symposium. University of Sheffield. 27 April 2018
- "Poetic education: On Charles Olson". Romantic and Contemporary Lecture Series. University of Sheffield. 15 February 2018.
- "'Poems and learning': Charles Olson at Black Mountain College". English Research Seminar. Roehampton University. 24 January 2018
- Conference presentations
- “The Openness of American Modernisms”. British Association of American Studies. University of Sussex. 25-27 April 2019.
- “Projective Verse Illustrated”. American Literature Association. Boston. 23-26 May 2019.
- “诶 比 西 of Reading: Pound’s ‘scholarly’ Classic Anthology”. Ezra Pound International Conference. University of Salamanca. 25-29 June 2019.
- "Pound's Doggerel". Historicizing Modernism/Bloomsbury. York University. 17-19 May 2018
- "John Wieners' Lyric Intensions". European and British Association of American Studies. King's College, University of London. 4-7 April 2018
- "Poems, & learning: Olson as pedagogue". English Research Seminar. The University of Roehampton. 24 January 2018
- "A poetics of pedagogy: Charles Olson at Black Mountain College". Re-Viewing Black Mountain College. The University of North Carolina. 29 September-1 October 2017
- "Redeeming Ezra Pound". Modernist Studies Association Conference. Beurs van Berlage, Amsterdam. 10-13 August 2017
- "Charles Olson's Pedagogical Poetics". Avant-Garde Pedagogies. University of Westminster. 8-9 July 2016
- "Learn of the Green World: Pedagogy in The Cantos", with Joshua Kotin (Princeton); response by Professor Alan Golding (Kentucky). Ezra Pound International Conference. Brunnenburg, Italy. 7-11 July 2015
- "Unreading The Cantos: philology, community, error". Modernist Communities. Inaugural International Conference of the Société d'Etudes Modernistes. Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris III. 24-26 April 2014
- "On first editions: Ezra Pound's economic objects". Aesthetics, Ethics and Economics: Re-Valuing Aestheticism and Modernism through (Dis)credited Figures. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 2-4 October 2013
- "'Historic Blackout': Ezra Pound's anti-philological poetics". Modernist Studies Association. The University of Sussex. 29 August-1 September 2013
- "'Not shallow in verbal usage': Ezra Pound v. philology". Ezra Pound International Conference. University College, Dublin. 10-13 July 2013
- "Ezra Pound and textual criticism". Étant donnés: Questioning the material and marginal givens of modernist scholarship. University College Cork. 12-13 April 2013
- "'They follow the lines of force': Ezra Pound and Gaudier-Brzeska". Ethics and Alterity in 19th-21st Century British Art. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 4-5 April 2013
- "Prosody as polemic; or, Pound contra Tennyson". Ezra Pound International Conference: Pound and London. The University of London. 5-9 July 2011
- "'That Dolt E. P.' J. H. Prynne, Ezra Pound and emphatic language". Legacies of Modernism: The State of British Poetry Today. Études-Anglophones Institut Charles-V, Université de Paris. 9-11 June 2011
- "William Wordsworth and J. H. Prynne: Responsibility in verse". Ethics and Alterity in 19th-20th Century British Literature. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 26-28 May 2011
- "Wordsworth and Prynne: a preliminary report". EMMA research group. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 17 February 2011
- "Présentation de travaux". EMMA research group. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 23 November 2010
- "Olson's literalism". Charles Olson 2010. University of Kent. 15-17 November 2010
- "Literalism in Whitman, Pound and Olson". 41st Annual NeMLA Convention. McGill University. 7-11 April 2010
- "Social Affection in The Cantos of Ezra Pound". Ezra Pound International Conference: Pound, Rome and Love. Centro Studi Americiani, Rome. 30 June-4 July 2009
- "Oppen under erasure: drafts and daybooks". George Oppen Conference. University of Edinburgh. 15-16 November, 2008
- "Canto XXXVI-Donna mi pregha". Cantos Reading Group. University of London, Senate House. 5 November 2008
- "The Pisan Cantos, the Bollingen Prize, the New Criticism". American Realignments: 1948. University of Sussex. 5 September 2008
- "'The ubicity, ascertaining': some notes on The Cantos". Long Poems ::: Major Forms. University of Sussex. 16-17 May 2008
- "Epic Turning Lyric: Reference as Refrain after The Pisan Cantos". Cross Currents. University of Sussex. 5 July 2007
- "Advertising in Maximus". Poetry & Public Language. University of Plymouth. 30 March-1 April 2007