I am a Vice Chancellor’s Fellow in the School of English, where I run the Research Seminar series and co-direct the Centre for Poetry and Poetics. I have held postdoctoral positions in Germany (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Universität Bayreuth) and France (Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III). Before all of this: University of Sussex (PhD); University of Cambridge (MSt); McGill University (BA).
My research interests lie broadly in 20th-century poetry in English. In particular, I work on avant-garde stuff. Methodologically, I often attempt to combine textual scholarship and literary criticism. My book The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication (Bloomsbury, 2017) is a case in point. My current project is provisionally entitled Present Knowledge: Charles Olson and a Poetics of Pedagogy. I am editing a collection of essays on John Wieners.
- The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication. London and New York: Bloomsbury, 2017.
- "The Texts of The Cantos and Theories of Literature". The New Ezra Pound. Edited by Mark Byron. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018. (forthcoming)
- "Canto LII". Readings in The Cantos. Edited by John Gery and Richard Parker. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2018. (forthcoming).
- "Sound; Sign; Canto XCIX". Glossator: Practice and Theory of the Commentary 10 (2018): 83-120.
- with Joshua Kotin. "The Cantos and Pedagogy". Modernist Cultures 12, no. 3 (Autumn 2017): 345-90. Includes responses from Charles Altieri, Alan Golding, Marjorie Perloff, Michael Coyle and Steven G. Yao.
- "Ownership and Interpretation: on Ezra Pound's Deluxe First Editions". Reconnecting Aestheticism and Modernism: Continuities, Revisions, Speculations. Edited by Christine Reynier, et alia. New York: Routledge, 2017. 187-201.
- "'I have always loathed reading': on Pound's late cantos". Paideuma 43 (2016): 199-247.
- "Ezra Pound, Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and Philology". Ethics and Arts in Britain. Edited by Christine Reynier and Jean-Michel Ganteau. Montpellier: PULM, 2015. 169-84.
- "Poetic instruction". Contemporary Olson. Edited by David Herd. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2015. 89-102.
- "What Meaning has in Charge: on Wordsworth, Pound and Prynne". Études britanniques contemporaines 44 (2013): online.
- Responsibility in Verse: William Wordsworth and J. H. Prynne". Ethics of Alterity: Confrontation and Responsibility in 19th to 21st Century British Literature. Edited by Christine Reynier and Jean-Michel Ganteau. Montpellier: PULM, 2013. 231-49.
- "'The labour of revision': George Oppen". The Wolf 23 (Summer 2010): 88-101.
- with Joshua Kotin. "Stephen Rodefer's position". Stephen Rodefer Special Issue. Chicago Review 54, no. 3 (Winter 2009): 6-7.
- "Introduction to 'Nice' by Paul Morand, translated by Ezra Pound". The Wolf 18 (2008): 48-50.
- "Advertising Maximus". Poetry and Public Language. Edited by Tony Lopez and Anthony Caleshu. Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2007. 149-57.
|Invited Talks and Lectures
- "How not to learn Chinese: Ezra Pound, The Confucian Odes, and maverick philology". University of Oslo. 14 November 2018.
- "Pound's (im)material Poetics". Poetry and Poetics Research Seminar. University of Sydney. 9 August 2018.
- "The Cantos and Pedagogy". English Departmental Seminar Series. University of Sydney. 8 August 2018.
- "In defense of having nothing to say". Denise Riley Symposium. University of Sheffield. 27 April 2018.
- "Poetic education: On Charles Olson". Romantic & Contemporary Lecture Series. University of Sheffield. 15 February 2018. ""'poems, & learning': Charles Olson at Black Mountain College". English Research Seminar. Roehampton University. 24 January 2018.
- "Pound's Doggerel". Historicizing Modernism/Bloomsbury. York University. 17-19 May 2018.
- "John Wieners' Lyric Intensions". European and British Association of American Studies. King's College, University of London. 4-7 April 2018.
- "poems, & learning: Olson as pedagogue". English Research Seminar. University of Roehampton. 24 January 2018.
- "A poetics of pedagogy: Charles Olson at Black Mountain College". Re-Viewing Black Mountain College. University of North Carolina. 29 September-1 October 2017.
- "Redeeming Ezra Pound". Modernist Studies Association Conference. Beurs van Berlage, Amsterdam. 10-13 August 2017.
- "Charles Olson's Pedagogical Poetics". Avant-Garde Pedagogies. University of Westminster. 8-9 July 2016.
- "Learn of the Green World: Pedagogy in The Cantos", with Joshua Kotin (Princeton); response by Professor Alan Golding (Kentucky). Ezra Pound International Conference. Brunnenburg, Italy. 7-11 July 2015.
- "Unreading The Cantos: philology, community, error". Modernist Communities. Inaugural International Conference of the Société d'Etudes Modernistes. Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris III. 24-26 April 2014.
- "On first editions: Ezra Pound's economic objects". Aesthetics, Ethics and Economics: Re-Valuing Aestheticism and Modernism through (Dis)credited Figures. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 2-4 October 2013.
- "'Historic Blackout': Ezra Pound's anti-philological poetics". Modernist Studies Association. University of Sussex. 29 August-1 September 2013.
- "'Not shallow in verbal usage': Ezra Pound v. philology". Ezra Pound International Conference. University College, Dublin. 10-13 July 2013.
- "Ezra Pound and textual criticism". Étant donnés: Questioning the material and marginal givens of modernist scholarship. University College Cork. 12-13 April 2013.
- "'They follow the lines of force': Ezra Pound and Gaudier-Brzeska". Ethics and Alterity in 19th-21st Century British Art. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 4-5 April 2013.
- "Prosody as polemic; or, Pound contra Tennyson". Ezra Pound International Conference: Pound and London. University of London. 5-9 July 2011.
- "'That Dolt E. P.' J. H. Prynne, Ezra Pound and emphatic language". Legacies of Modernism: The State of British Poetry Today. Études-Anglophones Institut Charles-V, Université de Paris. 9-11 June 2011.
- "William Wordsworth and J. H. Prynne: Responsibility in verse". Ethics and Alterity in 19th-20th Century British Literature. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 26-28 May 2011.
- "Wordsworth and Prynne: a preliminary report". EMMA research group. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 17 February 2011.
- "Présentation de travaux". EMMA research group. Université Paul-Valéry, Montpellier III. 23 November 2010.
- "Olson's literalism". Charles Olson 2010. University of Kent. 15-17 November 2010.
- "Literalism in Whitman, Pound and Olson". 41st Annual NeMLA Convention. McGill University. 7-11 April 2010.
- "Social Affection in The Cantos of Ezra Pound". Ezra Pound International Conference: Pound, Rome and Love. Centro Studi Americiani, Rome. 30 June-4 July 2009.
- "Oppen under erasure: drafts and daybooks". George Oppen Conference. University of Edinburgh. 15-16 November, 2008.
- "Canto XXXVI-Donna mi pregha". Cantos Reading Group. University of London, Senate House. 5 November 2008.
- "The Pisan Cantos, the Bollingen Prize, the New Criticism". American Realignments: 1948. University of Sussex. 5 September 2008.
- "'The ubicity, ascertaining': some notes on The Cantos". Long Poems ::: Major Forms. University of Sussex. 16-17 May 2008.
- "Epic Turning Lyric: Reference as Refrain after The Pisan Cantos". Cross Currents. University of Sussex. 5 July 2007.
- "Advertising in Maximus". Poetry & Public Language. University of Plymouth. 30 March-1 April 2007.
- Kindellan, Michael, ed. Utter Vulnerability: Essays on the Poetry of John Wieners. Montpellier: PULM, 2018. (forthcoming).
- with Joshua Kotin. Stephen Rodefer Special Issue. Chicago Review 54, no. 3 (Winter 2009).