You will have access to a first class study environment, IT support, experimental facilities and analytical equipment. Our laboratories are equipped to a very high standard, with specialist facilities for each area:
- New instrumentation in vibration engineering, environmental engineering and nanotechnology.
- Monitoring equipment for assessing the real-life performance of buildings: energy monitors, indoor environment monitors, heat flux monitors, thermal camera.
- Wind tunnel suitable for assessing the impact of wind on urban forms at 1:200 scale.
- Multi-axial testing equipment at elevated temperature.
- Testing rigs for ambient and elevated temperature conditions.
- Cement and concrete durability testing and material characterisation.
- Field laboratory for full-scale impact and explosion research.
- Large-scale triaxial apparatus for stress path and cyclic load testing.
- Flexible walled triaxial calibration chambers.
- Optical microscopy.
- Digital camera and measurement software
- Model pile testing and durability testing facilities.
- Granular flow model rig and complimentary high speed camera for debris flow simulations.
- Conventional and specialised soil testing apparatus, including a transparent soils laboratory.
- Centre for Energy and Infrastructure Ground Research - home to our world-leading 4 metre beam centrifuge, and complementary small-scale education centrifuge.
- Numerical modelling software including: LimitState, FLAC3D and LS-DYNA.
- Facility for experimental modelling of slope stability and landslide mechanics.
- Static and tilting research flumes.
- Urban drainage testing rigs, laser and video-based measurement systems.
- Pipe loop to explore dynamics of water distribution systems and a temperature controlled pipe loop to investigate water quality in distribution systems.
- Modern, fully equipped lab for microbiological, chemical and pollutant analysis.
- Experimental facilities for investigating environmental processes and pollutant interactions in the geosphere.
- Extensive field measurement and modelling software.
Our MSc courses are taught in modern lecture rooms, set aside for postgraduate teaching. This dedicated teaching space is equipped with the latest visual aids and IT interfaces which enable online delivery of module content and access to web resources to maximise the flexibility and scope of learning possible. We also have fully equipped networked computer laboratories with the latest commercial and industry-standard software, for both teaching and self study.